What Makes You A Cyclist?

Old March 15th 04, 01:52 PM
TheCyclist2002

Default What Makes You A Cyclist?

Some people say that if you don't finish a century, you're not a cyclist.

Some people say that if you don't shave your legs, you're not a cyclist.

Some people say that if you ride a 'discount store' bike, you're not a cyclist.

Some people say that if you wear sweatpants and a t-shirt or sweatshirt, you're
not a cyclist.

Some people say if you don't ride year round, you're not a cyclist.

Well, to all of that, I say BULLS**T!! Those who think along those lines, are
in my opinion, cycling snobs. If you can pedal a bike, you're a cyclist.

Okay, maybe you're not an "elite" cyclist in the caliber of Lance Armstrong,
but you're a cyclist nonetheless. It doesn't matter if you pedal across town,
across your state, or even across the country; you're a cyclist.

If you have a desire to ride, no matter what type of bike it is, you're a
cyclist. If you look forward to climbing on your bike and hitting the road,
bike path, or trail, you're a cyclist.

It doesn't matter if you're underweight, right at your goal weight, or a few
pounds (or more) overweight, if you love to ride, you're a cyclist.

To me, it isn't about how far you ride, what you wear, what type of bike you
ride, or even how many seasons you ride in. No, none of that matters. What make
you a cyclist is the love of the ride!!

AJC

"Let's Ride!!"
Old March 15th 04, 02:49 PM
.o0 0o.

I used to race. When I was in high school. I know the cycling snob. I was
on the verge of becoming one.

Some people say that if you don't finish a century, you're not a cyclist.

I've done many

Some people say that if you don't shave your legs, you're not a cyclist.

I don't race but I still shave my legs. It just feels natural to me now.

Some people say that if you ride a 'discount store' bike, you're not a

cyclist.
OK, I had a Trek 1400 that I bought in 1992. I never upgraded it to STI and
when I started riding again it would have cost more to upgrade than to get
my Mongoose Morzine from Dick's Sporting Goods. $400 bucks seemed like a
good deal.

Some people say that if you wear sweatpants and a t-shirt or sweatshirt,

you're
not a cyclist.

I just dont like the bulky clothes.

Some people say if you don't ride year round, you're not a cyclist.

I ride all year, but MUCH more when it is warm

Well, to all of that, I say BULLS**T!! Those who think along those lines,

are
in my opinion, cycling snobs. If you can pedal a bike, you're a cyclist.

I agree.

Old March 15th 04, 04:28 PM
W K

"TheCyclist2002" wrote in message

Some people say

.... all sorts of nonesense.

Don't bother thinking twice about it.

Old March 15th 04, 04:37 PM
Rocketman

"TheCyclist2002" wrote in message
Some people say that if you don't finish a century, you're not a cyclist.

Some people say that if you don't shave your legs, you're not a cyclist.

Some people say that if you ride a 'discount store' bike, you're not a

cyclist.

Some people say that if you wear sweatpants and a t-shirt or sweatshirt,

you're
not a cyclist.

Some people say if you don't ride year round, you're not a cyclist.

Well, to all of that, I say BULLS**T!! Those who think along those lines,

are
in my opinion, cycling snobs. If you can pedal a bike, you're a cyclist.

Agreed.

Okay, maybe you're not an "elite" cyclist in the caliber of Lance

Armstrong,
but you're a cyclist nonetheless. It doesn't matter if you pedal across

town,
across your state, or even across the country; you're a cyclist.

Yes.

If you have a desire to ride, no matter what type of bike it is, you're a
cyclist. If you look forward to climbing on your bike and hitting the

road,
bike path, or trail, you're a cyclist.

It doesn't matter if you're underweight, right at your goal weight, or a

few
pounds (or more) overweight, if you love to ride, you're a cyclist.

To me, it isn't about how far you ride, what you wear, what type of bike

you
ride, or even how many seasons you ride in. No, none of that matters. What

make
you a cyclist is the love of the ride!!

Even the folks riding because of a DUI are cyclists. They may not really
enjoy cycling (they ride because they don't have a driver's license) but
they're cyclists nonetheless.

Get the word out: Ride what you have. Just ride.

Rocketman

Old March 15th 04, 05:38 PM
S o r n i

TheCyclist2002 wrote:

If you can pedal a bike, you're a cyclist.

Ah, but only if you *DO* pedal said bike.

Bill "can paddle, but ain't no canoeist" S.

Old March 15th 04, 06:32 PM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

"TheCyclist2002" wrote in message ..

To me, it isn't about how far you ride, what you wear, what type of bike you
ride, or even how many seasons you ride in. No, none of that matters. What make
you a cyclist is the love of the ride!!

Look, normaly I'm a really nice guy, but you brought this on yourself.
You are what is known as a FRED.
You will have lot's of other FREDS to ride with as the roads are clogged
with these types.

Just don't expect any respect from me.
I don't like the why you look, what you ride, who you hang out with,
what you wear.

If we pass on the road don't try to wave or smile at me, I'm going
to have to ignore you.

That's the way road riding is and always has been.

Real Roadies don't like FREDS.

Old March 15th 04, 06:50 PM
GaryG

[...]

Hmmmm...I guess it depends on your definition of "cyclist". If you go with
the dictionary definition, "a person who rides a bicycle", then everyone who
turns a crank is a "cyclist". This includes 6-year old girls with training
wheels and flowered baskets, as well as the half-drunk guy riding home from
the liquor store at night, with no helmet, on the wrong side of the road,
with a cigarette in his mouth and a 12-pack balanced on the top tube.

However, most of us have a somewhat more restrictive definition of
"cyclist". My own definition is, "one who is passionate about cycling, and
spends a considerable amount of time thinking about it and doing it". This
definition would exclude the little girls, the DUI guys, impoverished
students who only ride because they don't have a car, etc. Most (but not
all) people who meet this more restrictive definition will not be seen
riding a WallyWorld bike in sweatpants, because those tools are generally
inadequate for the job. However, many will have unshaven legs, based on what
I see on tours and centuries.

--
~_-*
....G/ \G

Old March 15th 04, 08:32 PM
Raoul Duke

"Rocketman" wrote in message news:PYk5c.16606

Even the folks riding because of a DUI are cyclists. They may not really
enjoy cycling (they ride because they don't have a driver's license) but
they're cyclists nonetheless.

A DUI can actually be a blessing in disguise. When I got mine I rode more,
walked more and found that most bartenders can be quite accommodating about
letting you bring your bike into the bar. 8-)

Dave

Old March 15th 04, 08:46 PM
Stephen Harding

Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

"TheCyclist2002" wrote in message ..

To me, it isn't about how far you ride, what you wear, what type of bike you
ride, or even how many seasons you ride in. No, none of that matters. What make
you a cyclist is the love of the ride!!

Look, normaly I'm a really nice guy, but you brought this on yourself.
You are what is known as a FRED.
You will have lot's of other FREDS to ride with as the roads are clogged
with these types.

Just don't expect any respect from me.
I don't like the why you look, what you ride, who you hang out with,
what you wear.

If we pass on the road don't try to wave or smile at me, I'm going
to have to ignore you.

That's the way road riding is and always has been.

Real Roadies don't like FREDS.

There you have it Cyclist2002, from the mouth of Mr. Style!
Enjoyment of the ride is nice, but you must look good above
all else to be a true "cyclist".

I have worked very hard at improving my appearance on my road
bike. I've added spiral black and red cork tape to my black,
white, silver and red Trek 2000. Red rims with black tires but
may upgrade to tires with red or silver stripes in the tread,
solely in the name of style.

I no longer wear white socks under my Teva sandals when there
is any possibility of being seen in public (reserved for back
roads tens of miles from anywhere in western Montana while
touring only), and even taken to wearing some very stylish
shades [which almost no one would note are actually $7 hardware
store safety glasses, hee hee!].

My bell has been "stealthified" behind the handlebar stem and
I've mounted the absolute lightest duty rack in the back, and not
loaded it down with panniers or other disruptions to air flow.

All in an effort to get just a nod from "The Man from Style" in
passing on the road. No smile required. Certainly no arm wave.
Just a look of non-distaste showing a minuscule of appreciation
of my efforts to de-Fredify. Sigh. No luck.

So I simply must tell you, it's time to upgrade your kit if you
want to be a "cyclist"! Otherwise, just spin on the rollers down
in the basement where no one will see you, and you can pretend.

SMH

Old March 15th 04, 09:03 PM
Luigi de Guzman

I have a bicycle.

what's your excuse?

-Luigi

not a cyclist loki General 38 May 22nd 04 02:06 PM
Cyclist Marco Pantani's funeral draws thousands of mourners in Italy Garrison Hilliard General 2 February 21st 04 01:21 AM
cyclist shoots motorist Steven M. O'Neill General 145 February 19th 04 01:49 AM
Former Miss America kills cyclist WBtobal General 55 October 18th 03 06:03 AM
Hog attacks cyclist in Hong Kong Scott Munro General 4 September 16th 03 05:05 PM