Actual Tech: Quick Links

Old May 14th 13, 06:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default Actual Tech: Quick Links

On May 13, 6:46*pm, raamman wrote:
On May 11, 11:15*am, Jay Beattie wrote:

For some unknown reason, I bought a Shimano chain. *What a pain in the
ass with the single-use pin. *I assume there is an after-market "quick
link" for these things? *I suppose I could Google it, but if there is
a preferred product, I would appreciate knowing that.

-- Jay Beattie.

sorry, its a few bucks for a good quaility reliable shimano chain that
lasts about 6k of use before getting to the replacement stage- when it
gets to that I break it and install a new one- done. my time is far
more important than wasting it on saving a few bucks for an inferior
chain. cycling is about a state of mind and you will never be free if
you live connected to your wallet

The chain was on sale. I got it because of my wallet. The issue is
why bother with a single use pin when you can bundle the chain with a
quick link -- like the $3 KMC link I just bought over at Universal. I
ride 6-8 months a year in rain. I do very little maintenance but,
alas, I do clean my chain now and then, and I do it off the bike and
not with one of those Rube Goldberg on-bike chain cleaners. I can pop
a snap-link with my slick Park pliers in about thirty seconds. I
suspect it would take me a lot longer than that just to find the
removable pin in the Shimano chain -- particularly after it becomes
filthy. No offense, though -- Shimano might make a great chain.
OTOH, I've never had a problem with the KMC and Sedis/SRAM chains I've
been using for decades.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 14th 13, 07:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 14/05/13 15:22, Jay Beattie wrote:
On May 13, 6:46 pm, wrote:
On May 11, 11:15 am, Jay wrote:

[...]

According to Wippermann's completely unbiased testing, SRAM chains are
about the least wear resistant chain you can buy.

http://www.cantitoeroad.com/uploads/...0-JUN-2010.pdf

I use a Campag Veloce chain, preferring not to soil my steed with a
Shimano component.

Ok, I wear Shimano shoes, but I don't count that as part of my bike. ;-)

I've been running 2 chains on the one cassette (not at the same time),
and swap chains every 2 months or so. The dirty one goes into a plastic
container with solvent, gets shaken all about, then dried and lubed
ready for next time. I store it in a plastic bag for when I next give
the bike a clean. So far the 3 components have lasted about 10,000km.
I think they're nearly ready to be retired. Must measure the chain
stretch soon. Don't want to wear out the chain rings.

--
JS
Old May 14th 13, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
raamman

On May 14, 1:22*am, Jay Beattie wrote:
[...]

whatever works for you

I just don't like hearing folks crying about a few coins difference
per 1000k they get out of a chain
Old May 14th 13, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davethedave[_2_]

On Tue, 14 May 2013 14:09:01 -0700, raamman wrote:

I just don't like hearing folks crying about a few coins difference per
1000k they get out of a chain

Buy chain.

Use till dead.

Buy new chain.

Easy!

Compare with petrol prices. Here today we are at $2.62 / £1.72 / 4.75
Turkish Lira per litre. At 60 litres per average US tank that's $157 at
an estimated 300 miles per tank.

Buy a new chain, write off as saving drive train and money not spent on
petrol, it's all good in the end.
--
davethedave