Arizona bicyclist struck and killed

Old January 26th 16, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Arizona bicyclist struck and killed

She was in the bicycle lane and was struck by a merging car from her right. It happened at noon Arizona time. The driver was not impaired but was old.

Excerpt:

"The crash happened just before noon. According to a media release, Lyon-Surrey was riding west on Sunrise Drive in a designated bicycle lane when Jacobson merged onto Sunrise from Skyline Drive and hit her."

Condolences to all.

Cheers
Old January 26th 16, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Sir Ridesalot writes:

She was in the bicycle lane and was struck by a merging car from her right. It happened at noon Arizona time. The driver was not impaired but was old.

Excerpt:

"The crash happened just before noon. According to a media release, Lyon-Surrey was riding west on Sunrise Drive in a designated bicycle lane when Jacobson merged onto Sunrise from Skyline Drive and hit her."

Condolences to all.

Cheers

I assume that is he

Clearly a dangerous merge for the cyclist.

--
Joe Riel
Old January 26th 16, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy K[_2_]

On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 6:29:47 PM UTC-6, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
She was in the bicycle lane and was struck by a merging car from her right. It happened at noon Arizona time. The driver was not impaired but was old.

When it comes to bicycle or auto driving, there is one rule that is always good.

Assume that everyone out there is trying to run you down.

Andy
Old January 26th 16, 11:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Andy K wrote:
On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 6:29:47 PM UTC-6, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
She was in the bicycle lane and was struck by a merging car from her
right. It happened at noon Arizona time. The driver was not impaired but was old.

When it comes to bicycle or auto driving, there is one rule that is always good.

Assume that everyone out there is trying to run you down.

Or at least that they don't see you. Defensive driving 101.

Condolences to the rider's family.

--
duane
Old January 26th 16, 02:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

just before noo

she met her doom

brain of baboon

here's one of our locals

rider have 3 choices.

1. STATE BIKE LANE on left

2. 35 mile bike path near right

3. local access road far right.

the middle roaders ride on 2. the path

local RV riders rider on 3. access road

mentally deranged types ride on the STATE BIKE LANE

Darwinian in the rider, for the STATE ? I dunno. The situation plays out as a dialogue tween STATE and Local Gov...in truth does not play out as who cares.

Up the road, once a bumpy 2 laner in 1970 o the first straight lies a middle school dumped on a sand mound in the middle of a mosquito bog....insecticides. Access to the mid school is across the 4 lane divider without a light.

Beyond this at an exit (of 2) for an office park with RUby Tuesday on the corner is another cross blvd without a light where cars line up blocking the oncoming lane from town.

so ?

https://goo.gl/4SQPlk

https://goo.gl/QLJwSn

https://goo.gl/8OYY6f

Old January 26th 16, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/25/2016 8:34 PM, Joe Riel wrote:
Sir Ridesalot writes:

She was in the bicycle lane and was struck by a merging car from her right. It happened at noon Arizona time. The driver was not impaired but was old.

Excerpt:

"The crash happened just before noon. According to a media release, Lyon-Surrey was riding west on Sunrise Drive in a designated bicycle lane when Jacobson merged onto Sunrise from Skyline Drive and hit her."

Condolences to all.

Cheers

I assume that is he

Clearly a dangerous merge for the cyclist.

Agreed, those are nasty. The motorists are concentrating on looking
over their left shoulder, assuming the way ahead is clear.

The root problem, I think, is that roadway engineers are so intent on
smoothing things out for motorists at the expense of cyclists and
pedestrians. It leads to freeway-like infrastructure in inappropriate
places. I'd bet a fortune that almost nobody ever walks from (say) the
homes at the northwest of that intersection to the Muscular Dystrophy
Association a quarter mile away.

Related problems are the lack of cyclist (and motorist) education, plus
nice, safe, green painted bike lane. The cyclist probably didn't
recognize the hazard, and may have thought "I don't have to stay alert;
I'm on green pavement!"

The current fashion in advocacy wouldn't help. People would call for a
"protected" bike lane, I suppose, which lose their protection at all the
intersections, where thing really matter - that is, in situations just
like this.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 26th 16, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Sir Ridesalot writes:

[...]

If you look at GOOGLE MAPS and then look at that area you'll see that the merging lane has YIELD AHEAD painted on the road surface, has DUAL YIELD signs and BICYCLE CROSSING signs BEFORE it merges at the green bike lane.

How could the driver NOT SEE any of these?

Cheers
Old January 26th 16, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Sir Ridesalot writes:

[...]

the baboons called....
Old January 26th 16, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-01-25 17:34, Joe Riel wrote:
Sir Ridesalot writes:

She was in the bicycle lane and was struck by a merging car from
her right. It happened at noon Arizona time. The driver was not
impaired but was old.

Excerpt:

"The crash happened just before noon. According to a media release,
Lyon-Surrey was riding west on Sunrise Drive in a designated
bicycle lane when Jacobson merged onto Sunrise from Skyline Drive
and hit her."

Condolences to all.

Cheers

I assume that is he

Clearly a dangerous merge for the cyclist.

Unfortunately they are all over the country and many without any bike
lanes or yield signing. Here is one I have to use almost weekly:

https://goo.gl/maps/x2RrBaotpvS2

No bike lane and it's like a big squeeze just where it gets dark. Nearly
all cyclists I know staunchly refuse to ride through that underpass. I
only do with all lights on full bore and at the highest speed my leg
muscles can deliver, then slamming on the brakes at the light behind the
underpass.

One problem with such mergers is that drivers do not have a traffic
light to pay attention to because there is none for them. They look left
to see what traffic comes and then step on it to get to a speed high
enough to merge. The cyclist may be well ahead of where they are looking.

Those designs are a major traffic engineer screw-up. How difficult would
it be to have a bicycle sensing loop in a bike path and turning on a
blinking red light or at least a yellow attention light when a bike is
being sensed? With some sort if little side LED that tells the cyclist
that it has come on.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old January 26th 16, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 2016-01-25 17:34, Joe Riel wrote:
Sir Ridesalot writes:

[...]

Someone hasn't seen or has ignored the images that show YIELD AHEAD painted on the road well before the roads merge, the two YIELD signs near the merge or the bicycle crossing signs.

Cheers

OT Pedestrian on Sidewalk struck & KILLED by bicyclist. Sir Ridesalot Techniques 3 July 1st 13 01:23 AM
Bicyclist killed in Norfolk Anton Berlin Racing 5 June 8th 09 07:36 PM
Cyclist struck, killed scotty72 Australia 12 July 12th 06 11:16 PM
SUV Killed By Bicyclist soinie General 8 February 7th 05 06:35 PM
Bicyclist killed by SUV Ben Kaufman General 59 January 31st 05 11:17 PM