Arizona bicyclist struck and killed

Old January 26th 16, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Arizona bicyclist struck and killed

On 2016-01-25 17:34, Joe Riel wrote:
Sir Ridesalot writes:

She was in the bicycle lane and was struck by a merging car from
her right. It happened at noon Arizona time. The driver was not
impaired but was old.

Excerpt:

"The crash happened just before noon. According to a media release,
Lyon-Surrey was riding west on Sunrise Drive in a designated
bicycle lane when Jacobson merged onto Sunrise from Skyline Drive
and hit her."

Condolences to all.

Cheers

I assume that is he

Clearly a dangerous merge for the cyclist.

Unfortunately they are all over the country and many without any bike
lanes or yield signing. Here is one I have to use almost weekly:

https://goo.gl/maps/x2RrBaotpvS2

No bike lane and it's like a big squeeze just where it gets dark. Nearly
all cyclists I know staunchly refuse to ride through that underpass. I
only do with all lights on full bore and at the highest speed my leg
muscles can deliver, then slamming on the brakes at the light behind the
underpass.

One problem with such mergers is that drivers do not have a traffic
light to pay attention to because there is none for them. They look left
to see what traffic comes and then step on it to get to a speed high
enough to merge. The cyclist may be well ahead of where they are looking.

Those designs are a major traffic engineer screw-up. How difficult would
it be to have a bicycle sensing loop in a bike path and turning on a
blinking red light or at least a yellow attention light when a bike is
being sensed? With some sort if little side LED that tells the cyclist
that it has come on.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

get a grip...

the STATE established these criteria for local adoption.

Many suck structures are suicidal for vehicles then the STATE place a bicycle lane in there. WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did one copla months ago. Feds had done everything possible to reduce negative factors. IF you have your foot down n 3rd eye on the rotable left mirror, IF the oncoming traffic...dazed 18's .....

so what was at the end of the ramp ?

an old creep going 45 with dim lights.

Remember the woman around SF/LA wandered down the side of onadem socalled Freeways against a concrete barrier o the curves outside?

same deal.

idea the STATE gives you a right doesn't mean its safe.
Old January 26th 16, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-01-25 17:34, Joe Riel wrote:
Sir Ridesalot writes:

[...]

Someone hasn't seen or has ignored the images that show YIELD AHEAD
painted on the road well before the roads merge, the two YIELD signs
near the merge or the bicycle crossing signs.

IME Yield does not work with distracted drivers. Having to look far left
for a merge opportunity is enough distraction for most. Stop signs might
work but on such offramps I see people regularly blow through those.
Lights like those on metered ramps do work.

Old January 26th 16, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand

"The crash happened just before noon. According to a media
release, Lyon-Surrey was riding west on Sunrise Drive in a
designated bicycle lane when Jacobson merged onto Sunrise from
Skyline Drive and hit her."

I assume that is he

Someone hasn't seen or has ignored the images that show YIELD AHEAD
painted on the road well before the roads merge, the two YIELD signs
near the merge or the bicycle crossing signs.

Also, the bike lane has a painted notice LOOK with an arrow pointing at the
merging traffic:

https://goo.gl/maps/PvuguFtvzcU2

But it might not be prominent enough to give a cyclist much of a warning.
Obviously it didn't work in this case.

Old January 26th 16, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 5:17:36 PM UTC-5, Bertrand wrote:
"The crash happened just before noon. According to a media
release, Lyon-Surrey was riding west on Sunrise Drive in a
designated bicycle lane when Jacobson merged onto Sunrise from
Skyline Drive and hit her."

I assume that is he

Someone hasn't seen or has ignored the images that show YIELD AHEAD
painted on the road well before the roads merge, the two YIELD signs
near the merge or the bicycle crossing signs.

Also, the bike lane has a painted notice LOOK with an arrow pointing at the
merging traffic:

https://goo.gl/maps/PvuguFtvzcU2

But it might not be prominent enough to give a cyclist much of a warning.
Obviously it didn't work in this case.

the entire visual is mental over load..

we are looking for vehicles not bicycles.

no told creeps traveling 45mph in an 80mph zone with merging traffic.

XXXX try LA to the port or I10 into Las Cruces to Leesburg Dam

BICYCLE ? who designs this stuff, Yeager ?
Old January 27th 16, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/26/2016 5:17 PM, Bertrand wrote:
"The crash happened just before noon. According to a media
release, Lyon-Surrey was riding west on Sunrise Drive in a
designated bicycle lane when Jacobson merged onto Sunrise from
Skyline Drive and hit her."

I assume that is he

Someone hasn't seen or has ignored the images that show YIELD AHEAD
painted on the road well before the roads merge, the two YIELD signs
near the merge or the bicycle crossing signs.

Also, the bike lane has a painted notice LOOK with an arrow pointing at
the merging traffic:

https://goo.gl/maps/PvuguFtvzcU2

But it might not be prominent enough to give a cyclist much of a
warning. Obviously it didn't work in this case.

I think it's a mistake to think that signage can remove hazards caused
by bad design. It's pretty well known that speed limit signs are not as
influential as the appearance of the roadway; a freeway-like road will
influence people to drive at 45+ mph, whether or not it has signs that
say "25 mph." And a freeway-style merge ramp will influence people to
accelerate and merge with traffic while looking back over their left
shoulder. They'll assume "Yield" means "yield to the cars," and it will
take _extremely_ conspicuous flashing lights, rumble strips and more to
get them to look for bicyclists that are there at most 1% of the time.

The "Look" sign painted on the bike lane doesn't do the job, either.
It's entirely likely that the bicyclist did look, but thought "The
driver must see me; I'm in a green bike lane!"

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 27th 16, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/26/2016 10:42 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Oops. Blue bike lane.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 27th 16, 10:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Women do it ...

Let me give you

A few examples

The STATE should "allow for that'

it's like it's like gun laws

or 500hp Mustangs sold by insurance co
Old January 27th 16, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 7:42:27 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

That's a pretty long on-ramp in a flat area with little visual clutter and lots of sinage. Both the cyclist and the car driver can see each other for quite a distance. Freeway style on-ramps have their place and move a lot of traffic and, who knows, they may be more safe in some ways than an ordinary intersection. If I were approaching that intersection, I would not assume the blue lane makes me safe and would be timing my crossing and assuming I wasn't seen. I don't think the "ordinary" cyclist thinks all the sinage and paint makes him or her magically safe.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 27th 16, 03:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel

wrote:

The "Look" sign painted on the bike lane doesn't do the job,
either. It's entirely likely that the bicyclist did look, but
thought "The driver must see me; I'm in a green bike lane!"

If I were
approaching that intersection, I would not assume the blue lane makes
me safe and would be timing my crossing and assuming I wasn't seen. I
don't think the "ordinary" cyclist thinks all the sinage and paint
makes him or her magically safe.

I think this is the fallacy: the road designer must decide who is to
yield to whom and ensure that the probability of not yielding is
extremely low.

One principle is that the road design should ensure that the person
expected to yield should be forced by road layout to be slower that the
person he is supposed to yield to. As a corollary, the only safe
'on-ramp' style intersection design would force thy bicyclist to yield
to the motorist on the on-ramp. Probably the only acceptable bike lane
design would ensure that the bike lane has to yield to the on-ramp and
that it crosses the on-ramp at a sharp angle long before the start of
the merge area.

Old January 27th 16, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 27/01/2016 9:42 AM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

It's hard to say what happened but my guess is the driver messed up and
the rider wasn't expecting it. SRA says the driver was old so maybe
that contributed to it. As usual, we don't have much information.
Where was the rider when she was hit? Did the driver cut over across
the bike lane? What's the speed limit on this access road and what
speed was the driver doing? It looks like there's a turn with a tree or
something possibly blocking the driver's view of the road.

I also don't think anyone on that road would consider themselves
protected by that bike lane. But then I don't think anyone would
consider bike lanes as an impermeable shield.

OT Pedestrian on Sidewalk struck & KILLED by bicyclist. Sir Ridesalot Techniques 3 July 1st 13 01:23 AM
Bicyclist killed in Norfolk Anton Berlin Racing 5 June 8th 09 07:36 PM
Cyclist struck, killed scotty72 Australia 12 July 12th 06 11:16 PM
SUV Killed By Bicyclist soinie General 8 February 7th 05 06:35 PM
Bicyclist killed by SUV Ben Kaufman General 59 January 31st 05 11:17 PM