freehub body design

Old January 28th 16, 07:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default freehub body design

http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/01/26/...next-dura-ace/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 28th 16, 07:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

AMuzi wrote:

:http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/01/26/...next-dura-ace/

But, if it doesn't make lots of noise, who will know you spent stupid
amounts of money on it?

--
sig 23
Old January 28th 16, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 2:46:33 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/01/26/...next-dura-ace/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Below that it talks about replaceable freehub splines. Will any of this be compatible with anything made previously? Will it be yet another of Shimano's dead ends? that is will it be produced for a couple of years and then dropped thereby leaving people with yet another unsupported unrepairable item?

Cheers
Old January 28th 16, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/28/2016 2:17 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 2:46:33 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/01/26/...next-dura-ace/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Below that it talks about replaceable freehub splines. Will any of this be compatible with anything made previously? Will it be yet another of Shimano's dead ends? that is will it be produced for a couple of years and then dropped thereby leaving people with yet another unsupported unrepairable item?

Cheers

We cannot know the future, or at least I can't.

Lightweight cassette bodies have a real problem with that.
These patent filings show a few approaches which could be
helpful.
Steel bodies work well (don't deform under sprocket edges
nor at the bearing seats) but how ya gonna sell one now?

Old January 28th 16, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 3:32:29 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I remember a lot of Shimano dead ends. FFS & Selecta Drive, Positron, their three AX groupsets, Sante, Biopace I & Bipoace II, proprietary Dura Ace that can't be used with anything else, a proprietary Dura Ace freehub and so on. that's one reason I've stuck with what I have and stocked up on replacement parts for it.

Cheers
Old January 28th 16, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/28/2016 3:08 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

That's true for Shimano but it's also true of every
component maker (and many framebuilders) who have been
around a while.

To get to 'no design failures' you'd have to accept 'no
innovation'. I'm OK with dead ends or even some of my
favorite things regularly superseded by better designs.

Old January 28th 16, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 1:35:52 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

The replaceable spline also looks pretty innocuous -- unless it requires a change in the spline pattern. I can't imagine why it would.

If it were the only thing to change -- and it was later abandoned -- all you would need to do is buy a replacement freehub body, just like people are currently doing with alloy freehub bodies that get mangled by the cassettes..

The new freehub body design is a whole other issue, but I wouldn't expect that to get abandoned since it follows an existing trend away from standard pawls -- although the implementation is new and improved, assuming it works.. The other star ratchet designs (CK) are pretty draggy. If Shimano can make it work, I don't think it would be abandoned unless it stopped working.

The market is full of possible dead-ends right now -- from all the BB standards, crank spiders, hubs (e.g. proprietary standards for Specialized through-axle disc hubs on the Diverge), shifters, etc., etc. There are even new bar diameter standards. The oscillating life of 650B. Frame mounted brakes.. Cats and dogs, living together! It goes on and on. The whole world has gone AX.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 29th 16, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 15:35:40 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure if any, even moderately, complex items have been perfect
from the day that they were born. When I was working on DC-3's (also
known as the Gunny Bird) in 1966, when some of them were as old as I
was, the Air Force, and Boeing, were still issuing updates and mods to
fix things better".
--

Cheers,

John B.