Commuter Shop Opens in San Francisco

Old February 8th 16, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Commuter Shop Opens in San Francisco

It's been around a few years, but I just learned about it because there
was an article in BRAIN about it.

http://www.marketstreetcycles.com/

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/videos/2014/04/advertisement-we-speak-jamis-market-street-cycles

"Steel is the appropriate material."

Old February 9th 16, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, February 8, 2016 at 8:26:58 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
It's been around a few years, but I just learned about it because there
was an article in BRAIN about it.

http://www.marketstreetcycles.com/

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/videos/2014/04/advertisement-we-speak-jamis-market-street-cycles

"Steel is the appropriate material."

That's totally unreal! It's like a bike shop with Jamis bikes! Incroyable! What a find. I would have to walk more than a half-mile from my house to find a shop with Jamis bikes! http://www.burlingamebikes.com/jamis-bikes/

Hey, if you can pitch your shops, I can pitch mine.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old February 9th 16, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 2/8/2016 5:54 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, February 8, 2016 at 8:26:58 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
It's been around a few years, but I just learned about it because there
was an article in BRAIN about it.

http://www.marketstreetcycles.com/

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/videos/2014/04/advertisement-we-speak-jamis-market-street-cycles

"Steel is the appropriate material."

That's totally unreal! It's like a bike shop with Jamis bikes! Incroyable! What a find. I would have to walk more than a half-mile from my house to find a shop with Jamis bikes! http://www.burlingamebikes.com/jamis-bikes/

Hey, if you can pitch your shops, I can pitch mine.

Well the article in the magazine, not online yet, was talking about how
they have actual stuff that commuters would want, like lights, fenders,
baskets, and panniers. At a lot of shops that's special order or they
sell one item in each category.

Old February 9th 16, 05:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Mon, 8 Feb 2016 18:43:21 -0800, sms
wrote:
[...]

Like REI or any one of a dozen bike shops around here. But I may live
in a weird spot because we actually have four distinct seasons (of
course the local joke is that we only have two seasons- winter and road
construction. But with the weather pattern changes, road construction
season now starts in March and runs until Thanksgiving if not a little
later).
Old February 9th 16, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, February 8, 2016 at 9:43:25 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:
[...]

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

OK JB YURUP......SF had an online touring bike shop still there ? waaaay back abt 15 years ago that was AAA as who knew what a touring bike was ? and the Chinese classic steel lugged frame shop circa ? ...

prob more comouter money.

Portland does not have a custom classic steel frame Chinese bike shop. Hick.
Old February 9th 16, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:
[...]

Mike's Bikes or a billion other stores in the SF Bay Area carry all those things -- WalMart carries many of those things. The myth that nobody carries commuting gear is . . . a myth.

In PDX, it's not about whether you can find commuting gear -- it's whether you can find artisanal, vegan, all long-staple cotton panniers hand-sewn by lesbian Buddhist monks. Those are so damned hard to find -- and really the only panniers worth owning.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 9th 16, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 2/9/2016 7:16 AM, jbeattie wrote:

In PDX, it's not about whether you can find commuting gear -- it's whether you can find artisanal, vegan, all long-staple cotton panniers hand-sewn by lesbian Buddhist monks. Those are so damned hard to find -- and really the only panniers worth owning.

You can find that stuff in Santa Cruz.

Old February 9th 16, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

:
[...]

I find the only panniers worth owning are vinyl covered polyester,
ultrasonically welded by surly turkish germans. But I'm a
midwesterner, and our brains haven't rotted that far yet.

--
sig 28
Old February 9th 16, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:
[...]

If you want something like a Porteur front rack, which are becoming
popular, you can order one through a shop, buy one online, or go to one
store in San Francisco who sells a sub-optimal product. I use that
example because that's something I did want. I had to order it online.

Yes, most shops will carry one choice of rack, and maybe a few choices
of lights, but usually not the optimal items in terms of functionality,
let alone price.

Old February 9th 16, 03:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
[...]

You didn't mention Hemp Fabric, byproduct of your local industry

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Another cycling cafe opens Alycidon UK 3 November 16th 15 07:49 PM
EU Opens First Job Centre in Africa Boycott Multiculturalism, Buy British! UK 0 September 27th 10 12:09 PM
Bike shop woes = need a better shop Sir Ridesalot Techniques 19 June 21st 07 03:51 PM
Bicycle Search Engine Opens Ryan Lanctot Rides 0 November 3rd 06 11:51 PM
PER: bike path re-opens DeF Australia 4 March 18th 06 01:39 AM