Installing a boot in high-pressure road tires

Old February 14th 16, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Installing a boot in high-pressure road tires

I do most of my riding on CST Correre tires, but occasionally switch to Michelin Pro 4s for a lighter wheel and better road feel. I run them at around 105 psi.

I find the Pro 4s to be somewhat vulnerable to sidewall damage. Obviously a boot has got to be pretty smooth in order to avoid abrading the tube under high pressure. So far I've had good luck with a round REMA Tip-Top patch against the inside of the casing, topped off with a slightly smaller round piece of black friction tape. I hold them in place with automotive trim adhesive.

I'd be curious to hear what you use for a boot on high-pressure tires.

-retroguy
Old February 14th 16, 03:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-02-14 07:01, wrote:
I do most of my riding on CST Correre tires, but occasionally switch
to Michelin Pro 4s for a lighter wheel and better road feel. I run
them at around 105 psi.

I find the Pro 4s to be somewhat vulnerable to sidewall damage.
Obviously a boot has got to be pretty smooth in order to avoid
abrading the tube under high pressure. So far I've had good luck with
a round REMA Tip-Top patch against the inside of the casing, topped
off with a slightly smaller round piece of black friction tape. I
hold them in place with automotive trim adhesive.

I'd be curious to hear what you use for a boot on high-pressure
tires.

I ride Conti Gatorskins on my road bike. Great tires except for the
flimsy sidewalls which can cause premature failure of the whole tire.

What I do is run very thick tubes with 0.120" or 3mm wall thickness.
Important is that they aren't only thick towards the running surface but
all around. I also apply some talc against chafing. Yesterday I swapped
out a worn Gatorskin tire and the sidewall had threads chafed through
and in some areas you could see through against the sun. Yet the tube
kept it together. I run them around 110psi. Of course, being a mountain
biker I don't really care about road feel. My road bike sees the
occasional rough turf such a dirt roads or a mile of bush trail.

If it's any comfort the sidewall problem also affects "modern" MTB
tires. The cheaper 26" versions like Maxxis 1040N are great but you
can't get those in 29" :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old February 14th 16, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 10:48:01 AM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:
On 2016-02-14 07:01, wrote:
[...]

In some narrow high pressure 700C tires getting a thick tube into them is nearly impossible or extremely difficult. I'd rather use something that is not too hard to repair/replace on the roadside if I have to.

For ultimate puncture proofness joerg should use either solid rubber tires or fill your tubes with concrete. After all Joerg says that weight nor rolling resistance matters as long as you don't get flats.

Cheers
Old February 14th 16, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

yeah yeah yeah keeps banging into edgy stuff running tires into cracks.

so buy a heavier tire already

https://www.google.com/search?site=i...43.vefGAZOTvIs
Old February 14th 16, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

...So far I've had good luck with a round REMA Tip-Top patch against the inside of the casing

That's kinda think isn't it?

...topped off with a slightly smaller round piece of black friction tape.

Why?

I hold them in place with automotive trim adhesive.

You carry it around for that purpose?

I'd be curious to hear what you use for a boot on high-pressure tires.

AFAICT this is what glueless patches are good for.

Old February 15th 16, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 07:01:09 -0800 (PST),
wrote:
I do most of my riding on CST Correre tires, but occasionally switch
to Michelin Pro 4s for a lighter wheel and better road feel. I run
them at around 105 psi.

I find the Pro 4s to be somewhat vulnerable to sidewall damage.
Obviously a boot has got to be pretty smooth in order to avoid
abrading the tube under high pressure. So far I've had good luck with
a round REMA Tip-Top patch against the inside of the casing, topped
off with a slightly smaller round piece of black friction tape. I hold
them in place with automotive trim adhesive.

I'd be curious to hear what you use for a boot on high-pressure tires.

In the old days people use to cut up a worn out tubular, make boots out
of it but it was important to thin down the edges of the cut out piece
or it would wear pinholes in the tube pretty quickly. I've never tried
it myself but I've heard of people just using a doubled over piece of
silk fabric or cotton sheeting. It'll get you home. I've used dollar
bills a number of times, those are more like a fabric than paper, and
have used the Park tire boots with good results. But for the long term
a bike tire with a cut sidewall is a goner.

On a related note, WTF is up with the price of bike tires? $80 for a
tire? For pete's sake my car tires cost that and seem like a much
better deal. The cost of consumable bike parts (tires, chains) has
become stupidly high in the past 5-10 years. $100 for a chain? Gimme a
break. The bike industry has seen us coming and decided to pick our
pockets.

I think I'll keep using my 8 speed stuff for a while longer. If I can
nurse it along for another 30 years it'll see me out...
Old February 15th 16, 03:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 10:01:15 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I do most of my riding on CST Correre tires, but occasionally switch to Michelin Pro 4s for a lighter wheel and better road feel. I run them at around 105 psi.

I find the Pro 4s to be somewhat vulnerable to sidewall damage. Obviously a boot has got to be pretty smooth in order to avoid abrading the tube under high pressure. So far I've had good luck with a round REMA Tip-Top patch against the inside of the casing, topped off with a slightly smaller round piece of black friction tape. I hold them in place with automotive trim adhesive.

I'd be curious to hear what you use for a boot on high-pressure tires.

-retroguy

A boot is a temporary measure until you can replace the tire. It avoids calling home for a ride or getting a taxi.

I carry a folding scissor and a tyvec envelope. I get the envelope from the US Post Office (Express Mail or Priority Mail). The envelopes are free (no wonder the Post Office loses money). I'll cut a piece of the envelope that is twice the width of the cut in the tire. I'll place the cut piece of tyvec on the inside of the tire, covering the cut and extending beyond the beads on both sides.

I'll mount the tire and inflate the tube. The tyvec is between the tube and tire. It is held in place by the beads. If it's sufficiently tight, the tyvec envelope section should be slightly narrower than the rest of the tire. This proves that the tyvec is holding the tube in place and not the tire. I'll use the scissors to remove the excess tyvec that extends beyond the rim.

I've been able to patch 4 inch long sidewall cuts and inflate a 700C-23 tire to 115 psi. No problems. It's cheaper than using a dollar bill.
Old February 15th 16, 07:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 7:50:53 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

This sounds like it would last a whole lot longer than just getting you home.

Old February 15th 16, 10:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tyvek ? What are commercial boats made from ? The Rema does not wrap around tube in a U right, only glues to sidewall cut area ?

The U shape is DIY required. Try wraping around with bottom that is closed end at top tube against rim. Is held with air pressure
Old February 15th 16, 10:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Monday, February 15, 2016 at 8:20:40 AM UTC+1, Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

I use the wrap of a granola bar to get me home.

Lou