Air Pollution Triggers Heart Risk for Cyclistsfrom Scientific American

Old July 12th 11, 07:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Jym Dyer

Default Air Pollution Triggers Heart Risk for Cyclistsfrom Scientific American

http://ow.ly/5zKRL

| Rather, the findings intensify the scrutiny on cyclists'
| pollution exposure, and point to simple solutions for a
| cleaner ride, such as avoiding busy roads like 8th Avenue
| whenever possible.

=v= First of all, if you delve down a bunch of paragraphs in
the article, you find that the health benefits of bicycling
overall outweigh this problem, followed by this pull quote
about avoiding "busy roads."

=v= It is also mentioned that car interiors are worse places
to be (some studies have shown 18x as much pollution trapped
inside), which makes me wonder why this story's headline
is so focused on bicyclist exposure. When I worked in NYC,
8th Ave. in the Garment District was part of my commute, and
believe me, my air was much better than what motorists were
sitting and stewing in.
_Jym_
Old July 12th 11, 04:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jul 12, 2:45*am, Jym Dyer wrote:

=v= It is also mentioned that car interiors are worse places
to be (some studies have shown 18x as much pollution trapped
inside), which makes me wonder why this story's headline
is so focused on bicyclist exposure. *

Of course, any time a person can mention any "danger!" regarding
bicycling, they feel compelled to do that.

Stating the much greater benefits, or noting that the supposed
"danger!" is worse for non-cyclists? That's not required. In fact,
it's almost forbidden.

- Frank Krygowski