Now I really want a moutain bike

Old October 26th 04, 08:10 PM

Default Now I really want a moutain bike

I am a fairly dedicated roadie but thought I should broaden my horizon
a bit. So I started to shop for a mountain bike.

The LBS gave a demo Jamis Dakkar to take on the trail to see how I
liked the bike and to just get a feel for the whole notion of taking a
bike where no road-bike would ever want to go.

To make a long story short: I had a blast. It was beautiful fall day,
sunny and 60 degrees. When I finally reached the top of the moutain, I
had a great look onto the Hudson and the bright fall colors. I really
enjoyed the more varied type of riding which so different from
hammering on the roads. The riding itself was a bit humbling, as I got
off the bike more often than I expected, sometimes more and sometimes
less controlled. It really instilled a bit of humbleness into my
opinion about how good I can handle a bicycle. However, that justed
added to the fun - a new challenge, whoopdidoo !

I always liked to have a mountain bike, but now I WANT one ! (Even more
fun, as I now have to figure out what I want. The LBS is suggesting
Specialized Stumpjumper or said Jamis. Any opinions, in addition to
what I already saw on mountainbikereview.com ?)

I just came back from that ride, so I am still full of the excitement
and thought I'd share it with the group.

Bengt-Olaf.

Old October 26th 04, 08:41 PM
David Reuteler

I am a fairly dedicated roadie but thought I should broaden my horizon
a bit. So I started to shop for a mountain bike.

I just came back from that ride, so I am still full of the excitement
and thought I'd share it with the group.

yea, mountain biking!

http://members.cox.net/mtbbill/image...crash-500k.mpg

the one part of the mountain bike speak that doesn't need translating was
the "did ya get that on film?" bit.
--
david reuteler

Old October 26th 04, 09:59 PM
David Reuteler

You aren't trying to scare me out of this new found way to spend hours
and money in pursuit of happiness? That was a hell of a tumble. You
know I don't mind falling, but I'm very particular about the way I
land. And that's not how I picture it :-)

that's exactly how i picture my fall. he actually survived quite well!

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/MilesCrash.htm

when i first saw that movie i thought it was local (i live in boise, idaho
& that's a spitting image for the local terrain). so far i've taken a few
headers -- one head first down 15 feet, a few endos -- but nothing like
that. i did manage to break a rib my first ride out, tho.

fwiw, i picked up a specialized stumpjumper and i'm reasonably happy
with it.
--
david reuteler

Old October 26th 04, 10:41 PM
Bengt-Olaf

Well yeah, if you explain it to me that way :-)
Still I'd rather not take such a fall in the first place.

Old October 27th 04, 12:07 AM
Bill Baka

On 26 Oct 2004 12:10:32 -0700, wrote:

[...]

My only comment for you is to go for it and get a mountain bike.
I have two MTBs and one road bike that rarely gets a turn. It is
just too much fun to be able to go where road bikes fear to tread,
or can't. Try riding a road bike through a muddy patch and suddenly
you will appreciate those wide mountain bike tires. Also, for some
reason, falling hurts less with a mountain bike, maybe because it
happens in the weeds and dirt instead of on pavement. Carrying
the bike is routine when you go exploring new trails. Many of them
are foot trails or even animal trails, but all are fun to follow.
Just my two cents.
Bill Baka

Old October 27th 04, 12:30 AM
Matt O'Toole

Bill Baka wrote:

Also, for some
reason, falling hurts less with a mountain bike, maybe because it
happens in the weeds and dirt instead of on pavement.

Also because you're usually going a lot slower.

Still, good riders shouldn't fall and injure themselves in the wilderness.

Carrying
the bike is routine when you go exploring new trails. Many of them
are foot trails or even animal trails, but all are fun to follow.

I agree, hike-a-bike is all part of the adventure. Plus the stuff you can't
ride the first time is a challenge to master as your skills improve.

In southern CA I preferred mountain biking because the varied terrain was much
more interesting, and the roads in southern CA are particularly boring. But
since I moved to the Appalachians, I hardly ever go mountain biking anymore.
Not that the mountain biking isn't good (it is), but the road riding is so
interesting. The bottom line is that I enjoy all kinds of riding just as much.

One thing to think about is maintenance. Once you start riding off road, your
bike will get dirty, and grind itself to pieces if you don't take care of it.
Go with reliability and ease of maintenance over sophistication -- for example,
get a hardtail with a top quality fork rather than a dual suspension rig with
less robust equipment. All drivetrains work pretty well these days, but the
difference in suspension quality is still great. Make sure you get stuff that's
well supported and will be in the future, because you're going to need things
like seals and bushings.

Matt O.

Old October 27th 04, 12:44 PM
Bengt-Olaf

Thanks for the advice. So far almost everybody I talked to has
suggested that I should get a dual-suspension bike. The argument was
that, ignoring comfort, it would track better because the rear wheel
would stay on the ground most the time.

Are rear suspensions so much more prone to failure than front
suspensions ?
Do they require more maintenance than front suspensions ?
Thanks, Bengt-Olaf.

Old October 27th 04, 10:02 PM
Bill Baka

On 27 Oct 2004 04:44:26 -0700, Bengt-Olaf wrote:

Thanks for the advice. So far almost everybody I talked to has
suggested that I should get a dual-suspension bike. The argument was
that, ignoring comfort, it would track better because the rear wheel
would stay on the ground most the time.

Are rear suspensions so much more prone to failure than front
suspensions ?
Do they require more maintenance than front suspensions ?
Thanks, Bengt-Olaf.

You would need to buy a fairly expensive one and test ride it first.
I had a Mongoose dual suspension that had a really nice front suspension
that saved my wrists from some road/trail bump wear, but the rear was
a waste of time. Now it is no suspension for me and haven't had a
problem with the rear tracking. Tracking is entirely dependent on
how you ride, downhill racer or trail rider. A few problems I have had are
the
rear locking up on steep descents and washing out the front with
too much braking, too steep, maybe should have walked, but adrenalin
rush. Crashing due to stupid judgement like trying to ride between two
rocks and having a pedal snag on one where I should have stopped and
carried. Personally, I like less parts to wear and tear, and yes, you
should hose off the bike and oil things after a dusty ride. You just need
to work out your own style and go out and have fun.
Happy riding,
Bill Baka

Old October 28th 04, 03:52 PM
Bengt-Olaf

Thanks for the comments. I also test rode a Specialized FSR and like
the feel of it. So I ordered one. We'll see how well the moving parts
in the rear hold up over time. If they break, there is another reason
to tinker with the bike. That's good too (just not as good as actually
riding).
As far as cleaning bikes go, I take much better care of my bikes than
of my car despite the factor 10+ difference in investment. Just more
fun to take care of the bike. So I'll give that new bike a good home.

As far as steep descents and all that goes, I'm sure I'll get myself in
over my head early and often. After all, it is a lot easier to tell
stories if you have the scars to prove it :-)

Bengt-Olaf.