Helmets

Old April 19th 04, 08:53 PM
Vivian

Default Helmets

I'm new to this group so I don't know if this has been discussed before.

Wearing a helmet will become compulsory for under 16's in the UK. I've
read/heard many people complaining that this will deter people from picking
up cycling, as wearing a helmet implies a dangerous activity.

I totally disagree with this.

What do you guys think?

Nice to be in a UK based newsgroup!
--
Vivian
-------

Old April 19th 04, 09:02 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Vivian wrote:
I'm new to this group so I don't know if this has been discussed before.

Wearing a helmet will become compulsory for under 16's in the UK. I've
read/heard many people complaining that this will deter people from picking
up cycling, as wearing a helmet implies a dangerous activity.

I totally disagree with this.

What do you guys think?

Read a few of the previous articles. They're all on Google newsgroups.
And it's "might" become compulsory, not "will".
Old April 19th 04, 09:41 PM
Simon

"Zog The Undeniable" wrote in message
Vivian wrote:
I'm new to this group so I don't know if this has been discussed before.

Wearing a helmet will become compulsory for under 16's in the UK. I've
read/heard many people complaining that this will deter people from

picking
up cycling, as wearing a helmet implies a dangerous activity.

I totally disagree with this.

What do you guys think?

Read a few of the previous articles. They're all on Google newsgroups.
And it's "might" become compulsory, not "will".

No need to shoot this guy down in flames- it's his first time!

Welcome to the group!

Simon

www.simonpaddon.com
www.coast-coast.info

Old April 19th 04, 10:58 PM
Peter Connolly

Simon wrote:
No need to shoot this guy down in flames- it's his first time!

Welcome to the group!

Seconded.

And anyone who wants to have a helmet rant, have a look at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...nt/3623089.stm

Regards,

Pete.

Old April 20th 04, 09:05 AM
Simon Brooke

in message , Peter Connolly
k') wrote:

Simon wrote:
No need to shoot this guy down in flames- it's his first time!

Welcome to the group!

Seconded.

And anyone who wants to have a helmet rant, have a look at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...nt/3623089.stm

Here's an excellent excerpt from that page:

In Scotland in 2002 there were 14 children killed in road accidents.
12 were pedestrians and two were car passengers. No child cyclists
were killed. It would appear this bill would be more effective if it
required pedestrians or car passengers to wear helmets. This bill will
reduce overall life expectancy by discouraging children from adopting
an active lifestyle. Cycling is not a dangerous activity.
I Cullen, East Dumbartonshire

Well said!

Ye hypocrites! are these your pranks? To murder men and give God thanks?
Desist, for shame! Proceed no further: God won't accept your thanks for
murther
-- Roburt Burns, 'Thanksgiving For a National Victory'

Old April 21st 04, 12:11 AM
Vivian

This guy? THIS GUY????????????????????????????/ I'M A WOMAN!!!!!!!

Jeeeeesus.....!!

Vivian
-------

Old April 21st 04, 11:22 AM
Gawnsoft

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 00:11:21 +0100, "Vivian"
wrote (more or less):

This guy? THIS GUY????????????????????????????/ I'M A WOMAN!!!!!!!

Jeeeeesus.....!!

We were fooled by the fact you signed it 'Vivian' in a uk.* newsgroup,
rather than the more usual feminised forms.

Cheers,
Euan
Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr