Chain waxing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 12th 18, 01:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Chain waxing

On 6/11/2018 11:22 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 7:34:51 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2018-06-11 09:36, jbeattie wrote:

                     ... Plus, for road riding, ordinary rim
brakes are fine.

As long as it does not rain or hail hard, then they are the pits.

Oh, Gawd.

I and my club mates don't live in a desert. Everyone in our club has
used rim brakes since they started cycling, and all but a very few
still do. We've ridden in countless rains, from showers to
thunderstorms, countless miles. I've been club safety chairman for
decades and I hear about the crashes. I've never heard of one caused
by inadequate braking in the rain. Never.

Back in the days when Campag rim brakes were pretty ordinary in the dry,
my brother was racing in Italy. He recounts a day when they had a
descent in the rain and he just could not brake enough coming toward a
corner, so he put his arm around another racer's shoulders and called
"Campagnolo! Campagnolo!"Â The other rider understood and braked for
both of them enough to ride around the corner.

That must be why you have never heard of a crash caused by inadequate
braking in the rain. ;-)

[These days of course, Campag rim brakes seem to work well enough, wet
or dry.]

I wonder what brakes the other guy was using.

Back in Campy's glory days, I couldn't afford the stuff - or didn't feel
I should. Paying off loans and feeding kids was a much higher priority.
So I was running mostly SunTour stuff, or similar. At least it shifted
better than Campy.

My only bike back then was a Raleigh Super Course that I got used from a
friend. It came with long reach Weinmann center pulls. Their benefit was
that they cleared wide tires and fenders. Their detriment was that they
were worse than Campy brakes. The Weinmanns merely suggested to the bike
that it might consider stopping.

Eventually I had a friend do a repaint, and he and I brazed on
cantilever bosses. That's what I've happily used ever since.

And I still have the Raleigh. It's the utility bike now.

Campy brakes worked fine for me rain or shine, but I was also an early adopter of Mathauser/KoolStop pads. I prefer the additional power and lighter touch of dual pivot, but depending on the era, there were no better brakes. I preferred them to cantis and used NR brakes on my transcon bike. With the standard drop, there was plenty of room for fenders and a 28-32mm tire.

-- Jay Beattie.

+1
Delta was indeed a design error but, before and after that
era, Campagnolo were exemplary among available products.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Frame waxing thirty-six Techniques 3 June 30th 11 01:34 PM
Proper chain waxing techs Dave Techniques 7 September 13th 06 05:18 AM
Chain Waxing Followup HarryB Techniques 15 April 11th 06 02:35 AM
Chain waxing + graphite question HarryB Techniques 410 March 16th 06 02:57 AM
New chain waxing technique Phil, Squid-in-Training Techniques 9 February 2nd 06 06:04 AM