Trailer fork mounts

Old July 19th 04, 12:42 PM
Grif

Default Trailer fork mounts

I was wondering if anybody had made their own fork mounts for a box trailer.
I have to use the trailer to cart the family bikes around in. I've got some
old steel front axles to use but need to make a mount for them. Any ideas?
I've checked Sheldon's site but nothing there.

Thanks
Grif

Old July 19th 04, 03:47 PM
Terry Collins

Grif wrote:

I was wondering if anybody had made their own fork mounts for a box trailer.
I have to use the trailer to cart the family bikes around in. I've got some
old steel front axles to use but need to make a mount for them. Any ideas?
I've checked Sheldon's site but nothing there.

More details please?

If you had a standard box trailer and wanted to convert it to carry a
group of bicycles by locking the front wheel to a mount, this is my 2c.

I would get some square tube and add the following (weld it).

On the bottom, two bolts that drop through holes in the trailer floor,
so the bar can be bolted firmly in place (okay, it means getting under
neath or being able to get hand under to thread nut and then tighten.

On the top a series of pairs of strap (5mm thick?) say 50-100mm in
length. These stand up like goal posts. They have a hole towards the top
through which you feed the steel axles. Their width is such that the
front forks just slide down the outside. Do up nut on axle to tighten
and lock in place. Actually any threaded rod would suffice. Even a bolt
to size and length

Optional would be to add loops to the bar for stretch or rachet straps
to improve tie down

Okay, if ascii spacing holds;

F F F is bottom of fork
F F
..FB....BFf.. ....... is axle or bolt (no nut shown)
B B
B B B is piece of bar/strap
B B
square-tube-square-tubesquare-tube-square-tubesquare-tube-square-tube

Whilst I would weld it up, you could replace the square tube, but some
50mmx75mm pine and make some U shapes out of flat bar (heat with
propane, bend in vice), which you bolt to it. This would be more fiddly
to install, but easier to move as bicycle change.

Actually, if the box trailer is going to be the usual method of
transport, just weld/bolt U shapes on top of front wall.

apologies if this is as clear as mud.
Old July 20th 04, 02:40 AM
Graeme

"Grif" wrote in
:

I was wondering if anybody had made their own fork mounts for a box
trailer. I have to use the trailer to cart the family bikes around in.
I've got some old steel front axles to use but need to make a mount
for them. Any ideas? I've checked Sheldon's site but nothing there.

I've not done it for a box trailer, but I did make something similar for
two bikes to go in the back of a station wagon I used to have. All I did
was take a board (the front of an old drawer) and screw two wooden block
onto it. These blocks were each the width of the front hubs and had a hole
drilled through them with an old quick release through the hole. It
probably took about half an hour to make and did the job perfectly.

You might want to make it a bit fancier looking than mine was, but a
similar idea should work for you.

Graeme
Old July 23rd 04, 02:46 AM
Grif

Thanks for your ideas. I used timber on the base of the trailer to hold the
rear wheels in place. I mounted three axles up front of the trailer and two
at the back. Just have to wait till its warmer to get the whole family out
again.

Grif