Tom Kunich is [an] ass

Old December 27th 05, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Tom Kunich is [an] ass

Jobst Brandt wrote:
I thought we had gotten over him, now that we have other contributors
who are equally rude and obnoxious, always carping while offering no
useful information. A few names come to mind.

Nobody that posts under the name of a whiskey brand and refuses to use
capital letters, of course?

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old December 27th 05, 05:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Johnny Sunset writes:

... I thought we had gotten over him, now that we have other
contributors who are equally rude and obnoxious, always carping
while offering no useful information. A few names come to mind.

Too bad the header got changed from ... a ass... because that was a
noted expression from Charles Dickens:

http://www.bartleby.com/73/1002.html

He chose it because it put special emphasis on the phrase as the OP
probably did. By the way, changing the title loses the thread and
starts a new one, which is also none too good for tracking where the
discussion arose.

Nobody that posts under the name of a whiskey brand and refuses to
use capital letters, of course?

I once suspected that as well but don't believe that Kunich was nearly
as acrid in his responses. But that was in olden times when more
crass four letter words were not used on this forum. Besides, he
didn't seem to be at war with his high school English teacher,
eschewing the **** key, and reasonable spelling and punctuation.

Mr. alcohol claims to live in SF and ride a bicycle to work, which
wouldn't do from San Leandro, without taking the bicycle to SF on
BART, our rapid transit system.

Jobst Brandt
Old December 28th 05, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Jobst Brandt wrote:
....By the way, changing the title loses the thread and
starts a new one, which is also none too good for tracking where the
discussion arose....

Jobst,

I will remind you of this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/browse_frm/thread/7fe496e4d9d34ffd/eafc5dd1ec08ae24?q=aol+crank&rnum=1#eafc5dd1ec08ae 24.
Note who changed the thread title.

However, I thought changing OL (Octalink) to AOL was funny, which is
why I remembered the thread.

--
Tom Sherman - (Former rec.bicycles.tech regular)

Old December 28th 05, 06:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Changing the title does WHAT? (Was: who cares.)

wrote:

... By the way, changing the title loses the thread and
starts a new one

No it doesn't.

NF

Old December 28th 05, 08:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Tom Sherman writes:

....By the way, changing the title loses the thread and starts a
new one, which is also none too good for tracking where the
discussion arose....

I will remind you of this thread:

http://tinyurl.com/d4tky

Note who changed the thread title.

I missed that entirely as my spell checker offered AOL for the
misspelled word OL. Apparently I changed that inadvertently. The new
version of my spell checker no longer offers AOL as the first
replacement choice for OL. I make enough typos that I usually spell
check the item which then starts at the top of the page.

However, I thought changing OL (Octalink) to AOL was funny, which is
why I remembered the thread.

As engrossed in the subject as I was, that passed me by entirely.
In any event, I thought the Dickens usage was chosen on purpose.

Jobst Brandt
Old December 28th 05, 08:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Michael Press writes:

He chose it because it put special emphasis on the phrase as the OP
probably did. By the way, changing the title loses the thread and
starts a new one, which is also none too good for tracking where
the discussion arose.

No, changing the subject header does not change alter the threading.
The References header and In-Reply-To header maintain integrity. A
correctly written news reader is capable of displaying the list of
articles according to the References headers. Still the user must
choose to display the available articles according to threading if
that is what he wants, and not depend upon the article Subject
headers to organize the threading. Changing the Subject header in a
sub-thread is permissible, even preferable, in many cases.

Speak for your own news reader. Tin, the UNIX threaded news reader
that I use, keeps threads by title and lists them only once even if
cross posted to several subscribed newsgroups. Unless the item is
separately posted to each newsgroup, it will be flagged as "read" once
it has been accessed by the user.

In this case I came across the item under separate threads.

Jobst Brandt
Old December 28th 05, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Quoting :
Michael Press writes:
No, changing the subject header does not change alter the threading.

Speak for your own news reader. Tin, the UNIX threaded news reader
that I use, keeps threads by title

No; you are misusing the term "thread". A "thread" is a group of articles
associated because of Message-IDs and References lines.

What tin does is group-by-Subject, which is inferior to true threading.
The answer is to get a newsreader which functions correctly.
--
David Damerell flcl?
Today is Second Leicesterday, December.
Old December 28th 05, 07:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

In article ,
David Damerell wrote:

Quoting :
Michael Press writes:
No, changing the subject header does not change alter the threading.

Speak for your own news reader. Tin, the UNIX threaded news reader
that I use, keeps threads by title

No; you are misusing the term "thread". A "thread" is a group of articles
associated because of Message-IDs and References lines.

What tin does is group-by-Subject, which is inferior to true threading.
The answer is to get a newsreader which functions correctly.

That is what Tin does by default, but Tin can sort by references.
In the man page under
GLOBAL OPTIONS MENU AND TINRC CONFIGURABLE VARIABLES
is a configuration variable for sorting articles
by the References header.

Thread articles by (thread_articles)
Defines which threading method to use. It's possible to set the
threading type on a per group basis by setting the group attribute
variable thread_arts to 0 - 4 in the file ${TIN_HOME-
DIR-"$HOME"}/.tin/attributes. (See also "GROUP ATTRIBUTES".) The
default is Both Subject and References. The choices a

0 None, don't thread.

1 Subject, thread on ''Subject:'' only.

2 References, thread on ''References:'' only.

3 Both Subject and References, thread on ''References:'' then
''Subject:'' (default).

4 Multipart Subject, thread multipart articles on ''Subject:''.

5 Percentage Match, thread base upon a partial character match on
''Subject:''.

--
Michael Press
Old December 29th 05, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

David Damerell writes:

Quoting :
Michael Press writes:
No, changing the subject header does not change alter the

threading.

Speak for your own news reader. Tin, the UNIX threaded news reader
that I use, keeps threads by title

No; you are misusing the term "thread". A "thread" is a group of
articles associated because of Message-IDs and References lines.

What tin does is group-by-Subject, which is inferior to true
threading. The answer is to get a newsreader which functions
correctly.

Given that Jobst uses Emacs, he's got a great option in Gnus right on
his computer (M-x gnus). The current version is 5.10.6, I think; the
CVS version is 5.11. All he has to do is set up his .gnus config file
and he is in business. There are some great e-mail client options as
well.