Fixed Penalty Charge - for unicycling

Old June 17th 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gagtape

Default Fixed Penalty Charge - for unicycling

im no law expert but...

i no from GCSE law that unicycling is aloud everywhere unless its in
the law which it isnt..in theory you could unicycle in a shopping
centre if it said no i bikes cos its a uni not a bike

be pedantic my friend

--
gagtape

WHAM!
'This is my myspace' (http://www.myspace.com/supernoodlay)
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 17th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

semach.the.monkey wrote:

If it did go to court, and I was to turn up with my 20” Nimbus, and
explain that I play hockey on it, and am probably more manoeuvrable
than most pedestrians, do you think that the judge would see that in my
favour? Or would they find CCTV footage, realise it’s not the same,
and get me in more trouble?

STM – in a very bad mood today

I don't think you should argue that you are more manueverable than
pedestrians, but I do think that you should argue that it was the
safest thing to do for everyone around you. Clearly the car was in the
way and staying on the road would have meant having to either get in
the way of cars or if you dismounted you would have have to remount,
and a unicyclist mounting a coker can often scare drivers so it would
have impeded traffic. Then as for the people on the footpath, they were
all well aware of you and you were aware of them, clearly nobody got in
your way and you didn't get in other peoples way. Just argue that all
in all it would have been way safer for everyoen if you went on the
sidewalk. Mention things like not only is it dangerous for me on the
road in situations like that but its also dangerous to drivers because
you are such a distraction and they don't know what to do about you.

I would also recomend you look up the laws for bikes. Usualy if they
have laws for unicycles its in the same spot as bikes. Check local
Bi-laws and Federal Laws.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 29th 07, 11:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

semach.the.monkey wrote:
Well, after riding several hundreds of miles through London in the last
2 years, I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. But today I
received a fixed penalty notice by the City Of London Police for
cycling on a footpath.

Well, after 3 weeks of procrastinating, contemplating and deliberating,
I paid the fine today.

I still stand by my belief that I did nothing wrong, and in the same
circumstances I would do exactly the same again. However, I read
everyones comments and opinions, and although some of it was not what I
wanted to hear, I agree that for benefit of the community it'll be best
to shut up and pay up. Keeping unicycling just under the legal radar
works well for most of us most of the time.

For what it's worth, the legal situation seems with this is split in to
two parts.

The first, is if a unicycle is allowed to cycle on a path. According
to the 1835 Highways Act, a person shall be guilty of an offence if he
"shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any
road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot-passengers
or shall wilfully lead or drive any carriage of any description upon
any such footpath or causeway." Section 85 of the Local Government Act
1888 extended the definition of "carriage" to include "bicycles,
tricycles, velocipedes and other similar machines.". So, this boils
down to how similar a unicycle is to a bicycle.

The second part is whether a Fixed Penalty Notice should have been
issued in this circumstance. When this was introduced in 1999, Paul
Boateng issued some guidelines which stated "The introduction of the
fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel
obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show
consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police
officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many
cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle
on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is
required." In my particular case, I believe that I was a responsible
cyclist, although I was unable to show consideration to other pavement
users because there were none around at the time.

I'd like to thank those of you that sent me messages of support,
including helpful links from anonymous sources.

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 29th 07, 12:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mcnuggets300

gagtape wrote:
im no law expert but...

i no from GCSE law that unicycling is aloud everywhere unless its in
the law which it isnt..in theory you could unicycle in a shopping
centre if it said no i bikes cos its a uni not a bike

be pedantic my friend

i have tried that
only got about 5 metres before getting yelled at
i pointed out the mistake, i was on only one wheel, security didnt like
it

--
mcnuggets300

there's the right way, there's the wrong way, and there's my way

pkplonker's got it right:
~''~ Unicycle for the Flying Spaghetti Monster ~''~
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 27th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Danny Colyer

wriggy wrote:
You could spend on of the weeks money you save commuting on uni on
joining the CTC then you will have access to free legal aid and third
party insurance ( assuming they include unicycles )

My new membership card arrived today, along with a leaflet that I
haven't seen before about CTC Third Party Insurance. It says:
"You are covered if you are cycling on a cycle (unicyle, bicycle,
tricycle, tandem or triplet) unless it is driven by mechanical power
-*other than*- electric assistance."

I keep meaning to join so now I've advised someone else to I guess I
should really do it!

Too right. Have you got round to it yet?

--
Danny Colyer

http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 27th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jamessd

This stuff really bugs me... and it's so true about how manouevrable you
are on a unicycle around pedestrians.

Me and a few mates were told we could not ride in a carnival precession
because it was dangerous and we were swerving in and out of people,
which we accepted, ands moved to the path, only to find that the same
PCSO told us to dismount again! Apparently it was ''busy'' (or not...),
and if we did not dismount it would be a £25 fine.

Outrageous!

Sorry to hear about your trouble, sounds really unlucky

--
jamessd

My videos:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rofwXXixjNQ
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tn9kG5kNSzc

Add me:
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 16th 09, 09:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joejumps4fun

habbywall;816845 wrote:
What if your athiest? Or do they not make you swear on the bible over
there?

Touche! Just plead "not-insanity your highness" as you ride into court
on your 20" and laugh histarically.

What's with all the underwear spam in today's posts?!? How does a guest
post here?

--
joejumps4fun

~*Joey*