A great morning ride!

Old April 17th 05, 05:10 PM
Zoot Katz

Sun, 17 Apr 2005 08:26:41 -0600, ,
Rich wrote:

Camelbacks work fairly well and are easy to get to while riding.

I'd rather drink from puddles than carry a sippy sack.
--
zk
Old April 17th 05, 05:23 PM
Rich

Zoot Katz wrote:

Rich wrote:

Camelbacks work fairly well and are easy to get to while riding.

I'd rather drink from puddles than carry a sippy sack.

Excellent. More potable water for the rest of us. :-)

Here in CO camelbacks are VERY popular with Mt. Bikers. Waterbottles
can jump out of their cages on rough trails (I've had that happen on
serveral occasions before getting a camelback) and oftentimes require
the rider stop to use them if the trail is anything but smooth.

For the road, I prefer waterbottles, but if my bike didn't have mounts
I'd just use the camelback.

Rich
Old April 17th 05, 08:52 PM
bbaka

Ken wrote:
"Rich" wrote in message

Ken wrote:

"bbaka" wrote in message

Peter Cole wrote:

Ken wrote:

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
oglegroups.com...

For long rides put water bottle cages everywhere they will fit and fill
them with V-8, Gatorade, Orange juice, or whatever you prefer but do
have water with you. My bike has four now, two in the normal places and
one on each front fork, held by auto heater hose clamps. It may look
strange but that gives me 96 Oz. of fluid without a heavy camelback or
backpack. I am thinking of adding two more on the rear support rails for
144 Oz. total, and keeping dry food in the backpack. Ex Boy scout,
sometimes overly prepared.

Bill Baka

LOL yeah thats it! I mean about the old heater hose clamp trick! My old
frame doesn't have *ANY* braze on's which is why I don't have a cage and
bottle yet. I was thinking the hose clamps would work just fine, and I

was

thinking of putting a piece of old inner tube between the cage and the

frame

for a little extra grip.

Ken

Camelbacks work fairly well and are easy to get to while riding.

Yeah I have seen the Camelbacks, I haven't had the chance to try one myself
but they look like they would be pretty good for touring.
Ken

So far now we have a vote for the clamps, which work well and don't hurt
the bike, and Camelbacks. I go for self sustained all day rides in the
range of a Century and need the back pack for food, tools, and other
gear so no Camelback. When I said I ride in the country outback I meant
it, I can't just pop into a 7-11 and get a refill or any food, and I am
often well out of cell phone range.
I have to be prepared.
Bill Baka
Old April 17th 05, 08:59 PM
Ken

"bbaka" wrote in message
Ken wrote:
"Rich" wrote in message

Ken wrote:

"bbaka" wrote in message

Peter Cole wrote:

Ken wrote:

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
[...]

Where do you ride? Mars?
Ken

Old April 17th 05, 09:00 PM
Ken

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 08:26:41 -0600, ,
Rich wrote:

Camelbacks work fairly well and are easy to get to while riding.

I'd rather drink from puddles than carry a sippy sack.

Thats a good one! I think my back might sweat too much with anything mounted
on it.
Ken

--
zk

Old April 17th 05, 09:00 PM
bbaka

Rich wrote:
Zoot Katz wrote:

Rich wrote:

Camelbacks work fairly well and are easy to get to while riding.

I'd rather drink from puddles than carry a sippy sack.

Excellent. More potable water for the rest of us. :-)

Multiple bottles makes for a variety of drinks, not all one blah
Camelback flavored something.

Here in CO camelbacks are VERY popular with Mt. Bikers. Waterbottles
can jump out of their cages on rough trails (I've had that happen on
serveral occasions before getting a camelback) and oftentimes require
the rider stop to use them if the trail is anything but smooth.

It happens to me too but it is easier to stop and get the bottle than
the alternative.

For the road, I prefer waterbottles, but if my bike didn't have mounts
I'd just use the camelback.

What road? I only use pavement to get to the good stuff. One stretch I
use will just about knock the fillings out of your teeth and has ruined
the spring on my Huffy's kickstand. The Mongoose had the kickstand
removed by me for the same reason, heavy vibration ruined the hold up
spring on it too.

Rich

There is a reason I ride a mountain bike up to 100 miles in a day and it
isn't to claim a century in the city on nice paved roads. You would
never know if you haven't done it.
Bill Baka
Old April 17th 05, 09:28 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Zoot Katz writes:
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 08:26:41 -0600, ,
Rich wrote:

Camelbacks work fairly well and are easy to get to while riding.

I'd rather drink from puddles than carry a sippy sack.

I think the main benefit and original raison d'etre of
Camelbaks is, the drinking end doesn't get all kinds of
muck on it like water bottles can when riding off-road.

Of course there are also those Nalgene bottles with a
protective cap covering the spout.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old April 17th 05, 09:51 PM
Ken

"bbaka" wrote in message
Rich wrote:
There is a reason I ride a mountain bike up to 100 miles in a day and it
isn't to claim a century in the city on nice paved roads. You would
never know if you haven't done it.
Bill Baka

Oh come on now 100 miles *off road*? Did your daddy wear blue tights with a
big red cape and a huge *S* on his chest?
Ken

Old April 17th 05, 11:45 PM
Bill Sornson

Ken wrote:
"bbaka" wrote in message
Rich wrote:
There is a reason I ride a mountain bike up to 100 miles in a day
and it isn't to claim a century in the city on nice paved roads. You
would never know if you haven't done it.
Bill Baka

Oh come on now 100 miles *off road*? Did your daddy wear blue tights
with a big red cape and a huge *S* on his chest?

Whaddya, NEW? "Iron Bill" Baka does super-human things on a routine basis.
Off-road centuries, ski area mountainous marathons, 70 mph on his Big Wheel
tricycle... And that's during a SLOW week.

The man's a phenomenon.

With Profound Admiration, Mere Mortal Bill S.

Old April 17th 05, 11:48 PM
Rich

bbaka wrote:

I go for self sustained all day rides in the
range of a Century

Translation "I go for 5 mile rides"

Rich