City auction steal

Old April 17th 05, 04:38 PM
Veloise

Default City auction steal

Hi folks--
Despite their laying me off due to the budget cuts, I decided to GET
UP EARLY!! and go check out the city's auction. Several hundred bikes!
There must be one or two I can't live without.

Since I don't (didn't) yet have an ATB, I narrowed the must-sees
down to those. There was a nice Cannondale in "Calder Red"** but I
already have a red bike (folding Montague).

Used my bidder number on a purple (that's important!) Specialized
Hard Tail. No suspension (maybe in a few years). Missing a brake lever
and the seat post bolt, and needed a headset adjustment. Air in the
tires. My size.

No seat bag with a secret stash of cash in it to ammortize the
price, but I still got a deal. $30.

Was going to do the ride one-tow one thing home, but there's a hill
involved, so I relented and drove back for it. I'd forgotten how nice
Q-R front wheels are.

LBS, here we come!

--Karen M.

**See www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us for a color check. While there, click
on Departments, then Planning, then the bike, then the Info Sheet to
see some of what I did for 'em.