New Chains

Old September 9th 03, 11:25 PM
David Nutter

Default New Chains

Simonb said:
I bought a new chain yesterday for the first time. What do they use to lube
new chains? Is it a wax? When should I oil it?

Depends. The SRAM chain I had until recently was initially lubricated with
something called (I think) Gleitmo which was a sort of waxy substance that
fell off after a couple of rain showers. The Massi chain that I've just
recently fitted came in a little tin and was doused in what looks like motor
oil.

As to the oiling, when it needs it is the guide I use. Generally it gets a
top-up after every serious rainshower in addition to a scrub and re-lube
every couple of weeks or so.

Regards,

-david
Old September 10th 03, 12:58 AM
Pete Biggs

Simonb wrote:
I bought a new chain yesterday for the first time. What do they use
to lube new chains? Is it a wax?

I don't know what it's called, but if your chain is covered in thick gungy
jellyish stuff, it's very good! It is *not* just a preservative and
actually goes on lubricating longer than any commercially available chain
lube will and is cleaner than most. Wipe off the excess and use it as it
is.

But if chain may need some additional lube before use if it's supplied
quite dry (the last SRAM PC59's I got were like this).

When should I oil it?

When you think it's excessively dirty or squeaky. It's best to thoroughly
clean it first if dirty.

~PB

Old September 10th 03, 10:17 PM
tony R

"Pete Biggs" wrote in message
Simonb wrote:
I bought a new chain yesterday for the first time. What do they use
to lube new chains? Is it a wax?

I don't know what it's called, but if your chain is covered in thick gungy
jellyish stuff, it's very good! It is *not* just a preservative and
actually goes on lubricating longer than any commercially available chain
lube will and is cleaner than most. Wipe off the excess and use it as it
is.

But if chain may need some additional lube before use if it's supplied
quite dry (the last SRAM PC59's I got were like this).

When should I oil it?

When you think it's excessively dirty or squeaky. It's best to thoroughly
clean it first if dirty.

The last new chain I fitted was a Shimano HG70. It may have been old stock
as the packaging was very dusty. Anyway, it came covered in thick gungy
stuff so I left it on. It did seem to lubricate as well as my usual
lubricant however it stopped doing this quite suddenly. By which I mean that
the chain started squeaking horribly in the middle of a long ride despite
there still being gunk all over the visible parts of the chain. The stuff
supplied on other brands is probably completely different but if my next
chain is a Shimano it's getting cleaned before fitting.
tony R.