Helmet promotion history

Old February 22nd 19, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Helmet promotion history

As long as we're on the subject: It's interesting how much helmet
promotion was due to the mania of just a few people. Randy Swart (who
essentially _is_ the "Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute") was responsible
for a disproportionate amount of the fear mongering. For example,
“Without one, you are always in danger..."

See http://www.bikeboom.info/helmets/

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 22nd 19, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 7:55:16 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
As long as we're on the subject: It's interesting how much helmet
promotion was due to the mania of just a few people. Randy Swart (who
essentially _is_ the "Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute") was responsible
for a disproportionate amount of the fear mongering. For example,
“Without one, you are always in danger..."

See http://www.bikeboom.info/helmets/

--
- Frank Krygowski

There has been a steady downward trend in the ratio of both pedestrians and bicyclists injuries because drivers know the outcome of court cases involving these - it invariably goes against motorists.

On the other hand I believe that motorcyclists death ratios are going up and judging from the way I've seen them riding in the bay area it is easy to see why.

But out in open country or mountain roads, aside from the play racers, motorcyclists appear to be quite safe drivers. Surprisingly enough the safest motorcyclists I've seen in the country are Harley riders including motorcycle gangs. Though that appellation is a bit misleading. The Hell's Angels was lead by Sonny Barger who wrote many books and acted in many movies. He was pretty far above average IQ and none of the club members - though crude and obnoxious - seemed stupid.
Old February 22nd 19, 08:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/22/2019 12:10 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 7:55:16 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
As long as we're on the subject: It's interesting how much helmet
promotion was due to the mania of just a few people. Randy Swart (who
essentially _is_ the "Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute") was responsible
for a disproportionate amount of the fear mongering. For example,
“Without one, you are always in danger..."

See
http://www.bikeboom.info/helmets/

--
- Frank Krygowski

There has been a steady downward trend in the ratio of both pedestrians and bicyclists injuries because drivers know the outcome of court cases involving these - it invariably goes against motorists.

If only that were so...

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/...-crash-boston/

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 23rd 19, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Frank Krygowski writes:

On 2/22/2019 12:10 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 7:55:16 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
As long as we're on the subject: It's interesting how much helmet
promotion was due to the mania of just a few people. Randy Swart (who
essentially _is_ the "Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute") was responsible
for a disproportionate amount of the fear mongering. For example,
“Without one, you are always in danger..."

See
http://www.bikeboom.info/helmets/

--
- Frank Krygowski

There has been a steady downward trend in the ratio of both
pedestrians and bicyclists injuries because drivers know the outcome
of court cases involving these - it invariably goes against
motorists.

If only that were so...

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/...-crash-boston/

Here is another Massachusetts case:

https://theswellesleyreport.com/2013...ling-accident/

Wellesley police very thoroughly investigate a crash involving a truck
and a cyclist, decide to seek an indictment for Motor Vehicle Homicide
but the grand jury does not return a true bill on any charges.

Old February 23rd 19, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 09:10:10 -0800, sltom992 wrote:

There has been a steady downward trend in the ratio of both pedestrians
and bicyclists injuries because drivers know the outcome of court cases
involving these - it invariably goes against motorists.

What cloud cookoo land do you live in.
Old February 23rd 19, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, February 22, 2019 at 3:58:25 PM UTC-8, Radey Shouman wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

On 2/22/2019 12:10 PM, wrote:
[...]

I don't know what the criminal code in Massachusetts says, but in many states, if the grand jury returns a no bill, the prosecutor can re-present the case to a different grand jury or file a criminal complaint. Presenting to a grand jury is like kicking a penalty shot through an open goal. It's usually not that tough to get a true bill -- unless the prosecutor doesn't want one, or the criminal case really does suck, or the grand jury is totally out to lunch. With all the evidence and witness in that Massachusetts case, it didn't look like the prosecutor was laying down. That leaves two options, and we don't which one it was.

-- Jay Beattie.

Cycling Promotion colwyn[_2_] UK 6 July 6th 15 08:51 PM
Promotion Wes Groleau Techniques 1 September 6th 13 04:02 AM
Cycling promotion v. helmet promotion Just zis Guy, you know? UK 100 September 9th 08 04:32 PM
More helmet promotion by the police David Hansen UK 4 September 7th 06 11:06 AM
TfL cycling promotion Just zis Guy, you know? UK 11 April 21st 05 10:46 PM