Tubular Clencher Tires

Old February 23rd 19, 03:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Tubular Clencher Tires

I recently came across an advert for "tubular Clinchers" that seem to
be a tubular tire made to be used on a conventional clincher rim. The
company, TUFO, that makes them say that the tubular-Clinchers weigh
about 65 grams more then the tubular.

Has anyone use/knows about/knows a guy that.. ?

I am interested as I always liked tubulars but no longer have any
tubular wheels and would like to try them again.

--
Cheers,
John B.

Old February 23rd 19, 10:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

John B. Slocomb wrote:

I recently came across an advert for "tubular Clinchers" that seem to
be a tubular tire made to be used on a conventional clincher rim. The
company, TUFO, that makes them say that the tubular-Clinchers weigh
about 65 grams more then the tubular.

calculate extra rim weight, too.

Has anyone use/knows about/knows a guy that.. ?

https://roadcyclinguk.com/news/event-news/tufo-c-elite-road-tubular-clincher.html

And drf's Gerald Eischer liked them, but he also used to recommend Gebhardt
chainrings and rides a Fort frame, so might be considered somewhat
czechophile (or paleoaustrian.)

I am interested as I always liked tubulars but no longer have any
tubular wheels and would like to try them again.

Let me guess: Vainly attempting to keep your aging body somewhat
comfortable on your roadie machine, your tire pressure has finally reached
pinch flats territory.

How about getting a city bike with 2 inch ballon tires? You sure don't want
to end up looking like that guy:
http://www.maxlehmann.ch/thailand/2017-thailand/2017-unfall-rad.htm
(His club of elderly roadie men seems to keep having accidents -- but keeps
blessing their styrofoam lids.)

--
Duly observing rbt's Liddite February posting policy
Old February 23rd 19, 10:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 10:05:35 +0100, Sepp Ruf
wrote:

John B. Slocomb wrote:

[...]

Nope :-) I've only had one pinch flat, that I can remember, since I
started riding a bicycle and that day I knew that the tires were a bit
low and tried to avoid sharp edges. Unfortunately I miscalculated and
hit the edge of a drainage grid. Pow!

How about getting a city bike with 2 inch ballon tires? You sure don't want
to end up looking like that guy:
http://www.maxlehmann.ch/thailand/2017-thailand/2017-unfall-rad.htm
(His club of elderly roadie men seems to keep having accidents -- but keeps
blessing their styrofoam lids.)

Nope. I'm quite happy with 23 - 25mm tires. After all, all you need to
do when riding over rough places is support a bit of your body weight
on your legs and it smooth's the ride out amazingly.

Sorry but I don't understand what I believe is German so the only
thing I was able to read was his thank you to a group in Hua Hin. I've
never ridden a bike in Hua Hin but I've driven there quite a few times
and the roads there are quite well maintained. The railroad crossing
shown in the article appears to be no different than one I cross every
time I ride into the local village.

--
Cheers,
John B.

Old February 23rd 19, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/22/2019 8:47 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

I recently came across an advert for "tubular Clinchers" that seem to
be a tubular tire made to be used on a conventional clincher rim. The
company, TUFO, that makes them say that the tubular-Clinchers weigh
about 65 grams more then the tubular.

Has anyone use/knows about/knows a guy that.. ?

I am interested as I always liked tubulars but no longer have any
tubular wheels and would like to try them again.

The first AFAIK was the Clement 2001:
http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.as...a-e35b050d3d89

I would prefer a set of used race wheels with actual
tubulars (roughly the same price as two new Tufos).

As always YMMV.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 23rd 19, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, February 22, 2019 at 6:47:33 PM UTC-8, John B. Slocomb wrote:
I recently came across an advert for "tubular Clinchers" that seem to
be a tubular tire made to be used on a conventional clincher rim. The
company, TUFO, that makes them say that the tubular-Clinchers weigh
about 65 grams more then the tubular.

Has anyone use/knows about/knows a guy that.. ?

I am interested as I always liked tubulars but no longer have any
tubular wheels and would like to try them again.

--
Cheers,
John B.

Why would you do that when Ebay is covered with people trying to get rid of their old racing tubular wheelsets that have VERY little use? You can get $2,000 wheelsets for $500 or less.
Old February 23rd 19, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 08:44:49 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 2/22/2019 8:47 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

I recently came across an advert for "tubular Clinchers" that seem to
be a tubular tire made to be used on a conventional clincher rim. The
company, TUFO, that makes them say that the tubular-Clinchers weigh
about 65 grams more then the tubular.

Has anyone use/knows about/knows a guy that.. ?

I am interested as I always liked tubulars but no longer have any
tubular wheels and would like to try them again.

The first AFAIK was the Clement 2001:
http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.as...a-e35b050d3d89

I would prefer a set of used race wheels with actual
tubulars (roughly the same price as two new Tufos).

As always YMMV.

The problem is that tubular wheels just aren't that common over here.
I don't believe that I have ever seen a new set of tubular wheels in a
bike shop.

Yes, I could order them from somewhere and then pay the shipping and
import duty to get them into the country which usually makes them
considerably more expensive then e-bay in the U.S. but just like many
posters here, I'm cheap :-)

--
Cheers,
John B.

Old February 24th 19, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 2:38:05 PM UTC-8, John B. Slocomb wrote:
[...]

Since you can buy tubular carbon or aluminum wheels really cheap -$300 a set or so, and since USPS delivers to Thailand if memory serves - it isn't like using tubulars would be difficult. Moreover, Amazon can deliver tubulars pretty cheaply.
Old February 24th 19, 05:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 16:32:43 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

The problem isn't delivery per se. The problem is shipping and import
duties which is charged on CIF (Cost, Insurance, Freight).

--
Cheers,
John B.

Old February 24th 19, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 8:23:27 PM UTC-8, John B. Slocomb wrote:
[...]

You need no insurance and often no freight on Ebay sales. But tubulars are NOT a good tire to use as the large number of tubular wheels for sale with virtually no use show.

Contrary to claims, a tubular can pop off the rim under the proper (improper?) conditions and they are usually racing tires with very poor wear characteristics. I tried them for awhile, learned their shortcomings including taking them apart to fix a flat and having to re-sew the sewup back together and dropped them. 5 or 6 years ago I discovered an entire dairy crate full of sewups - most of them new - on a shelf in the garage. The guy that owned the local racing team gave them to me before he died. I offered them for almost free on Craig's list and not one taker. So I tossed them in the garbage.

So clinchers are slightly better and my feeling is that Tubeless will turn out to be better yet. At least the tubeless I'm using now are all sorts of superior to what I previously thought were tubeless.

Old February 24th 19, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/23/2019 4:38 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
[...]

New tubular wheels are a totally different subject. And
price range!
Check with the used-bike shops, or at a cycle club, for used
race wheels first.

wtb: tubular tires Lee Marketplace 2 June 4th 05 09:15 PM
F/s *** Tubular Tires *** Dan Donnelly Marketplace 0 March 11th 05 05:22 PM
F/S *** TUBULAR TIRES *** CritUSA Marketplace 0 December 10th 04 03:35 PM
FA: Tubular tires Steven L. Sheffield Marketplace 0 November 13th 04 04:09 AM
F/S *** TUBULAR TIRES *** CritUSA Marketplace 0 November 11th 04 10:46 PM