Mountain Biking as an Addiction

Old March 22nd 07, 04:29 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Mountain Biking as an Addiction

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/arc...s/01style.htm:

Santa Cruz Style

March 16, 2007

Jamie Goldman: Take a freeride
BY GWEN MICKELSON
SENTINEL STAFF WRITER
Jamie Goldman can't ride his bike right now because of a sprained
right knee, and he's getting impatient watching other bikers fly over
and flip off dirt ramps sculpted into an Aptos field.
"It sucks, but it really just makes me want to ride more every time I
get hurt - it's kinda weird, actually," says Goldman, 20, a
professional freeride mountain biker and team rider for Syndicate,
Santa Cruz Bicycles' pro team.
Injuries are just part of the job for Goldman, who fell in love with
freeride mountain biking at age 12. He uses his bike to go airborne
off dirt or wooden ramps and perform astonishing tricks while flying -
flipping 360 degrees and landing perfectly, kicking the bike around in
a horizontal circle while holding onto the handlebars and reconnecting
his feet with the pedals just before hitting the ground.
But with the ecstasy of soaring comes the fact of gravity; Goldman has
ruptured his spleen, had his appendix removed, broken his collarbone
and a couple of ribs and torn ligaments in his knee. Perhaps worst on
the injury list, at 16 he broke both his ankles at the same time and
was in a wheelchair for three months.
His parents, Michael and Karen, don't really worry about him, says his
dad.
"But it's hard for me to watch now, because they're going so huge,"
Michael says.
It's all worth it, according to Goldman, because the sport has him
hooked.
"I think it's just the adrenaline and being able to push your body and
see what you can do with it," says Goldman, squinting in the hot
spring sunshine on a recent weekday.
He started out biking to class at Shoreline Middle School, and he and
his buddies would jump off the stairs. Then he started doing dirt
jumps at DeLaveaga Park. As a boy, he raced BMX bikes, then rode
motocross before making the transition to a mountain bike.
"You could ride your mountain bike anywhere," says Goldman, a Santa
Cruz native with blond, all-American looks. "You could ride to trails,
ride trails and jump"
With a slew of firsts and other high rankings at international
contests, Goldman could rest on his laurels. But he's driven to do the
best he can.
Next up on the trick wish-list? Back-flip tail-whips. "I want to do
that really bad," says Goldman, who had brought his bike out so a
photographer could snap him at least sitting on it.
But for now, he needs to wait a couple weeks for his knee to heal. His
friends have invited him to the beach, but first, he loads his bike
into his truck and heads to the taqueria.
Contact Gwen Mickelson at .

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old March 22nd 07, 08:17 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

Of course it is.

If you broke your knee, you'd sit at home in envy of those that could still
go and hike. Using your own criteria, hiking is an adiction too.

Old March 22nd 07, 09:14 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 19:17:27 GMT, "Jeff Strickland"
wrote:

Of course it is.

If you broke your knee, you'd sit at home in envy of those that could still
go and hike. Using your own criteria, hiking is an adiction too.

You have no idea what my criteria are. An addiction is something
harmful that you can't stop doing. Hiking isn't harmful. It's just
walking, which is a normal activity. Mounjtain biking is an extreme
sport that the state of California recognizes as a "dangerous sport":

"That's why the State of California deemed mountain biking and
horseback riding (a la Christopher Reeve) dangerous sports in its
code."
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old March 22nd 07, 10:52 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
[...]

Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
fond of!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

So what's your point ? Don't you think people get hurt in other sports as
well ?

Old March 22nd 07, 11:12 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike

wrote:

Of course it is.

If you broke your knee, you'd sit at home in envy of those that could
still
go and hike. Using your own criteria, hiking is an adiction too.

You have no idea what my criteria are.

Neither do you.

An addiction is something
harmful that you can't stop doing.

Not necessarily einstein. Here's a different meaning: 1 : to devote or
surrender (oneself) to something habitually or obsessively

Hiking isn't harmful. It's just
walking, which is a normal activity.

It is if you walk off a cliff, or in front of a moving bus.

Mounjtain biking is an extreme
sport that the state of California recognizes as a "dangerous sport":

"That's why the State of California deemed mountain biking and
horseback riding (a la Christopher Reeve) dangerous sports in its
code."

The reason California deemed mountain biking and horseback riding
"dangerous sports" is that they have a buch of wackos, just likr you, making
the laws.

===

Old March 23rd 07, 02:18 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

wrote:

Of course it is.

If you broke your knee, you'd sit at home in envy of those that could
still
go and hike. Using your own criteria, hiking is an adiction too.

You have no idea what my criteria are. An addiction is something
harmful that you can't stop doing. Hiking isn't harmful.

It is if you fall off a rock or slide down an embankment and break your
knee.

I am not suggesting that hikers would venture out on an embankment on
purpose and harm the environment in the process, I'm only suggesting that
hikers can make mistakes, and injuries can be a result.

It's just
walking, which is a normal activity. Mounjtain biking is an extreme
sport that the state of California recognizes as a "dangerous sport":

Mountain biking does not have to be extreme. There are millions of mountain
bike riders that simply roll around and never skid or race on the trails --
I'd be such a rider if I rode a bike. Yes, some riders are extreme, but
there are hikers that are extremists too. (Of course, you're going to deny
it's even possible to be an extreme hiker.)

Please give us the Civil Code where Mountain Biking is recognized as a
"dangerous sport."

Old March 23rd 07, 02:13 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JP

Default Futile Trolling as an Addiction

Mikey demos all the signs of an addict,
just can't let it go.
Disruptive, annoying, compulsive behaviors.

A real addict, Jonesing on the responses.

Old March 24th 07, 05:18 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 21:52:58 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Not as much as mountain biking, nor do they (nonmotorized
recreationists) do as much damage to nature as mountain bikers.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old March 24th 07, 05:20 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 13:13:01 GMT, "JP" wrote:

Mikey demos all the signs of an addict,
just can't let it go.
Disruptive, annoying, compulsive behaviors.

A real addict, Jonesing on the responses.

In your dreams. I could care less whether you respond.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande