Karoo to Coast MTB Challenge

Old September 24th 04, 07:05 AM
jgerber.com

Default Karoo to Coast MTB Challenge

I am participating in my longest race ever. 100km - on Saturday 25th.

http://www.gardenroute.org/karootocoast/

Friday, 24 September 2004
Weather Cloudy with rain likely later (60%)
Minimum temperature 8
Maximum temperature 17
Wind moderate south-westerly
Sunrise 06:17
Sunset 18:27
Saturday, 25 September 2004
Weather Cloudy with intermittent rain (80%)
Minimum temperature 12
Maximum temperature 15
Wind moderate southerly
Sunrise 06:16
Sunset 18:28

I only started riding MTB 2 months ago and came 3rd in a 42km race 2 weeks
ago - in rain and mud. We were 25 riders. So I'm not fit yet and not as
strong as I could be, but so willing and keen. It's so much fun!!

Wish me luck, I'm so excited, leaving soon.

Regards
Jo

Old September 24th 04, 11:35 AM
Ride-A-Lot

jgerber.com wrote:
[...]

Looks like a cool ride! It also seems to be mostly downhill with an
occassional steep up. You should do fine. Good luck.

I like this part of the race to be odd:
There will be 5 Coke / water / juice points on route.

Coke during a race? I would avoid drinking that during the race as it
tends to dehydrate and leave you more thirsty. Unless they mean *coke*
as in the powdery substance, in which case you'll end up blowing your
heart out of your chest on the first climb.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old September 24th 04, 04:46 PM
Bill Sornson

Ride-A-Lot wrote: {snip}

Looks like a cool ride! It also seems to be mostly downhill with an
occassional steep up. You should do fine. Good luck.

I like this part of the race to be odd:
There will be 5 Coke / water / juice points on route.

Coke during a race? I would avoid drinking that during the race as it
tends to dehydrate and leave you more thirsty. Unless they mean
*coke* as in the powdery substance, in which case you'll end up
blowing your heart out of your chest on the first climb.

The Coke and coffee dehydration thing is now pretty much recognized as a
myth. Fluid is fluid, caffeine or not. (Although I agree that the
carbonation should be approached with caution; some tummies more sensitive
than others!)

Bill "usually get a pot's worth o' fresh-grind in me before 'major' rides"
S.

Old September 24th 04, 04:54 PM
bri719

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

I like this part of the race to be odd:
There will be 5 Coke / water / juice points on route.

Coke during a race? I would avoid drinking that during the race as it
tends to dehydrate and leave you more thirsty. Unless they mean
*coke* as in the powdery substance, in which case you'll end up
blowing your heart out of your chest on the first climb.

yeah I'd personally go for the juice instead if I needed to replenish,
but if one needs to get their blood sugar back up as fast as possible or
need a spike as they get close to the finish line maybe Coke might work
(or maybe riders might just want to hang on to one til the end of the
race LOL)

anyway sounds like a great ride, let alone race

good luck jgerber
bri

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old September 24th 04, 06:13 PM
Paladin

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
jgerber.com wrote:
[...]

Flat, watered down coke is actually a real good energy drink. No, really.

The major dehydrator would be beer. And it's never a good idea to ride
after too much barley drinking. Dehydration, unearned courage, etc.

paladin