Handlebar mounted speakers

Old April 22nd 05, 04:53 PM
Dan

Maybe I'll mount a music stand on my bike instead... =)

Old April 22nd 05, 05:37 PM
Michael

Rich wrote:

Dan wrote:

I ride my bike a lot and I was thinking about getting speakers for my
bike to use with my discman. I thought about getting some small
speakers that I could attach something to and mout them on my
handlebars. I looked at Sonic Impact's Gen 2 speakers -
http://www.si-5.com/frontEnd/cm_prod...p?productID=15 - but I
don't know if these are any good for outdoor use. So does anyone know
of a small, good sounding pair of speakers that would be good for such
use?

I did this this with a walkman about 10 years ago. I had a handlebar
bag that I put some small car speakers in and hooked them up the
walkman. Unfortunatly, the sound wasn't loud enough to overcome the
wind noise if I rode over probably 10mph. Alhtough I'm guessing a
small amp would have solved that issue, at the time I was in grad school
and had little money.

I don't have any solution, but if you find one, post here. I'd be
interested in doing it again. I still have the bag, and am looking for
a reason to get an apple shuffle....

Rich

Small units such as the Walkman are designed to drive headphones, not speakers.
What you want are so-called amplified speakers. They require a power source, of
course, but that's easy to provide. Find a small pair designed to be connected
to a PC's sound card. I tossed an old pair of 4" x 3" recently. :-(
Old April 22nd 05, 05:44 PM
Dan

What kind? Were they any good? Do you think they'd be any good for
outdoor/on-the-road use?

Old April 22nd 05, 06:35 PM
maxo

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:53:50 -0700, Dan wrote:

Maybe I'll mount a music stand on my bike instead... =)

rofl!

Now that would be cool!

Or how about a tiny bandstand and some very short musicians?

Old April 22nd 05, 07:19 PM
Brian Huntley

maxo wrote:
On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:53:50 -0700, Dan wrote:

Maybe I'll mount a music stand on my bike instead... =)

rofl!

Now that would be cool!

Or how about a tiny bandstand and some very short musicians?

If you raise the specter of ten inch pianists, we're going to get all
cross threaded with the spandex shorts arguments.

Old April 22nd 05, 07:45 PM
rob kercher

I have had success with 6volt computer speakers plugged into my pocket pc.
They are common at garage sales and such and can be bought for under 10
bucks.

RK

Old April 22nd 05, 08:36 PM
Dan

Umm yea... The question is where can I get some that are small and
tough enough to mount on my bike?

I may also get a portable battery pack that I can plug stuff into via a
cigarette lighter adapter, so power is not much of a concern.

I think I'm probably gonna go with the Creative Labs TravelSound
speakers that were mentioned but I'm still looking for ideas.

Old May 4th 05, 04:32 PM
Dan

Thanks for the advice on the TravelSound speakers; I got them and they
work great so far. Since it's so small I was able to secure it to my
handlebars with just rubberbands wrapped arount the unit and my
handlebars (and a foam packing sheet between the two.) With the stereo
widening effect turned on it really does sound like the music is coming
at me more from the sides even though the speakers are only two inches
apart. I'm not sure how well these will hold up but for now they work
great! Thanks, Dan.