KH / Schlumpf Geared 24" mountain unicycling

Old December 29th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brycer1968

Default KH / Schlumpf Geared 24" mountain unicycling

munirocks;1139406 wrote:
Thanks lowlight, I did look at it, but I think my KH29 frame would be
better due to its lighter weight, friendlier crown and definitely
schlumpfable bearing holders. So I'll try and make some adapters for the
maguras.

I'm in the process of machining some adaptors out of aluminum bar stock
to use a Maggie brake on my KH26 (29er frame and 26" Alex DX32 rim).
I'm actually considering not using these adaptors and going back to a
29er wheel in this 29er frame. I may be interested in selling these
adaptors if I elect not to continue with the KH26 concept.
Brycer1968

--
brycer1968
Old December 30th 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
corbin

lunicycle;1159855 wrote:
Corbin how do you think the riding experience of the 24 GUNI in 1:1.5
mode off road compares to a single speed 36" off road?

Are you finding you can ride the 24 GUNI 1:1.5 'virtual 36' as
aggressively off road - descents, climbs etc - as they can be ridden on
a 36" wheel?

When compared to an ungeared coker (or a geared one in low gear), I
think that I can ride slightly faster on a coker on mild offroad and
single track. I've been riding the 24 guni on stuff that I have ridden
the Coker on. However, on the geared 24 I can do more aggressive trails
that I wouldn't have even considered on the coker, and ride the steep
downhills (or uphills) in low gear.

As for riding uphills: it is definitely harder to ride the geared 24 up
steep hills when in high gear -- I could ride stuff on the Coker that I
don't think I can do (yet) with the 150 cranks on the muni in high gear.
But, having said that, these hills are best tackled with a lower gear
ratio -- so, riding the 24 in low gear is just as fast (for me) as
riding a coker would be; I'm just spinning my legs faster with less
effort on each spin (compared to the coker).

We've done quite a few more rides (about 5 in the past 5 days) and I
really love the geared 24. Some of the rides (and distance/elevation
profiles) on my blog http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/blog/

-corbin

--
corbin

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
Old December 31st 08, 12:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lunicycle

Thanks Corbin, great info!

I'm enjoying the 29" GUNI, but 1:1.5 on the 29" off road riding might
be less useful than I thought it would be, unless I go to a longer
crank. Too fast and not enough control, but it's early days with GUNI
for me.

Later on I wouldn't mind trying the hub in a 24" wheel. I enjoy off
road on my 36" with 150 and 137 cranks, so the 24 GUNI might suit.

I wonder if a 1:1/1:1.3 would be more useful for off road riding? The
gap between the two gears seems so large, atm anyway.

--
lunicycle
Old December 31st 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

lunicycle;1161187 wrote:
Thanks Corbin, great info!

I'm enjoying the 29" GUNI, but 1:1.5 on the 29" off road riding might
be less useful than I thought it would be, unless I go to a longer
crank. Too fast and not enough control, but it's early days with GUNI
for me.

Later on I wouldn't mind trying the hub in a 24" wheel. I enjoy off
road on my 36" with 150 and 137 cranks, so the 24 GUNI might suit.

I wonder if a 1:1/1:1.3 would be more useful for off road riding? The
gap between the two gears seems so large, atm anyway.

You'll get better at the 29er GUni. I took it on one of our local
trails that has a long swoopy slightly downhill singletrack (almost 3
miles continuous); it was a total blast at speed, and I could handle the
roots and rocks as long as I didn't try to control it too much. The
main rule with GUni MUni is, never stop pedaling.

I did have an amusing biff going for a jump off a kicker; I got a
little bit of air, lost control on the landing, and face-planted into a
mud puddle.

--
tholub