Electra Bikes

Old November 9th 04, 06:14 PM
James Lynx

Default Electra Bikes

Any thoughts on the Electra Swinger cruiser bike or the Electra
Classic which they don't make anymore yet I can get if I want it?

Thanks,

James
Old November 10th 04, 01:03 AM
maxo

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 10:14:51 -0800, James Lynx wrote:

Any thoughts on the Electra Swinger cruiser bike or the Electra Classic
which they don't make anymore yet I can get if I want it?

Cool bikes for swinging around the neighborhood, visiting the local bar,
and picking up some milk at the corner store, I'd get something different
if your thinking about using it for fitness or longer distances.

Old November 11th 04, 05:44 AM
James Lynx

maxo wrote in message ...
On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 10:14:51 -0800, James Lynx wrote:

Any thoughts on the Electra Swinger cruiser bike or the Electra Classic
which they don't make anymore yet I can get if I want it?

Cool bikes for swinging around the neighborhood, visiting the local bar,
and picking up some milk at the corner store, I'd get something different
if your thinking about using it for fitness or longer distances.

Thanks for the input. Yeah I tried an Electra Classic with no gears
and it was great. I guess for long distance as you stated it might
not be a good idea but for around the neighborhood or just around it
is good. I might buy one. I think it would be good to have. I have
a mountain bike with slicks that I can go long distance tho. By the
way the Swinger has gears but only three so that might help a bit.

Thanks,

James
Old November 11th 04, 03:45 PM
maxo

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:44:26 -0800, James Lynx wrote:

By the way the Swinger has
gears but only three so that might help a bit.

Those are the Nexus three speed hub gears right?

I've put tens of thousands of miles on a Nexus hub--everybody in western
Europe rides bikes with 'em. They last for eternity. For scootin' round,
it's all you need. If you happen to fall in love with the bike, you can
always have the rear wheel rebuilt around a 7-speed hub for a couple
hundred. I'm back with derailleurs on my current ride, and I miss having
the ease of a solid state hub--it's not like you need exact gear ratios
when making a celery run.

Honestly, the only thing I'm not too hip on with the
Electras are the uber-fat tires, they feel kind of slow, but if that
starts to bug you, a moderately priced set of 26" slicks off the sale rack
won't set you back more than twenty USD and some change. Since your MTB
has some mounted, you could do a little switcheroo and see if they make a
difference.

Do think of a classic carrier, like the Wald front basket or dual rear
wire basket for that paper-boy feel. Steel, not nylon.

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/product_...tml?p=01-85553

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/product_...tml?p=01-85544

Old November 11th 04, 08:30 PM
James Lynx

maxo wrote in message ...

Then would you say that if I had an Electra cruiser bike and had a 7
speed Nexus internal gear hub installed that would make the bike as
good as a hybrid just say for going about town and fairly long rides
and on hilly areas.

Truthfully, even tho at first I loved mountain bikes, I really don't
care for them now much. I don't go mountain biking but just on the
street basically. I get tired of leaning over to reach for the handle
bars. I've tried some hybrid/comfort bikes and thought they were
easier on my body and more pleasurable to ride than my mountain bike.
But when I tried an Electra Classic without gears and it was great.
So here I am thinking man, maybe I can get an Electra Classic with an
internal gear hub with 3 or 7 gears and maybe with the gears that will
be just as efficient as getting some hybrid/comfort bike yet at the
same time looking super cool.

Also I'm not a fan of derailers. I grew up with BMX bikes and we had
no gears on those. So forward 20 years later since I rode the BMX on
a regular basis I get a mountain bike because I'm too big for BMX now
and mountain bikes look cool. I have a hard time getting used to
shifting. So now I'm thinking with the internal gear hub I'm sure
shifting is easier. Also because I never rode bikes with gears as a
kid I still think I'm used to that enough to get a bike without gears
and tough it when it comes to hills. So I can get an Electra Classic
Cruiser with internal gears or if I get one without gears I think I
can handle it because all the years as a kid I rode bikes without
gears.

Also Cruisers look just too cool too.

What do you think?

Thanks,

James
Old November 11th 04, 09:51 PM
maxo

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 12:30:08 -0800, James Lynx wrote:

So now I'm thinking with the internal gear hub I'm sure shifting is
easier. Also because I never rode bikes with gears as a kid I still think
I'm used to that enough to get a bike without gears and tough it when it
comes to hills. So I can get an Electra Classic Cruiser with internal
gears or if I get one without gears I think I can handle it because all
the years as a kid I rode bikes without gears.

Also Cruisers look just too cool too.

What do you think?

Thanks,

If it feels good do it. If you enjoy riding a cruiser with an internal
geared hub, great. So what if it's not going to be as ergonomic or fast as
X bike. The internal gears shift while pedaling or when standing still and
require next to zero maintenance other than tightening the shifter barrel
adjuster to compensate for cable stretch.

I'd get one with the 7 speed vs. upgrading, which can be very expensive,
if it were me.

Those Townies are real comfortable as well, the styling may or might not
be your cuppa.

For a Swedish spin on an old time type ride, consider getting a Kronan.
http://www.kronancycle.com/kronanusa/home.html

Heavy, sturdy, comfy, and stylish.

Integrated fenders, rack, lock, lights, bell, and pump. Some models even
have floor mats I think...

Old November 12th 04, 03:48 PM
James Lynx

maxo wrote in message Thanks,

If it feels good do it. If you enjoy riding a cruiser with an internal
geared hub, great. So what if it's not going to be as ergonomic or fast as
X bike. The internal gears shift while pedaling or when standing still and
require next to zero maintenance other than tightening the shifter barrel
adjuster to compensate for cable stretch.

I'd get one with the 7 speed vs. upgrading, which can be very expensive,
if it were me.

Those Townies are real comfortable as well, the styling may or might not
be your cuppa.

The Townies look good too. There is also a Raleigh bike that is a
cruiser has 7 speeds and hand brakes. It's not an internal hub tho.
I'd consider that also. It's a great looking bike too. The Electra
has coaster breaks and I see that a lot of people dislike those here
at the bike forum but to me they work fine and are second nature
because decades ago I was riding a 1972 Sschwin Stingray that had
those. Those never bothered me.

Thanks for your input.

James
Old November 12th 04, 06:11 PM
maxo

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 07:48:51 -0800, James Lynx wrote:

The Electra has coaster
breaks and I see that a lot of people dislike those here at the bike forum
but to me they work fine and are second nature because decades ago I was
riding a 1972 Sschwin Stingray that had those. Those never bothered me.

Coaster brakes are superb for what they a virtually zero maintenance
and stop reasonably well regardless of the weather.

You usually don't end up doing 40mph descents on a coaster brake cruiser
anyway.

:P

I'd stay away from the Raleigh if it's an external 7 speed. If you're
going to go the maintenance free cruiser route, go all the way.

Trek makes a very nice city-commuter bike with an 8 speed internal hub.
Not cheap, but very nice.

Also have a look at Breezer Bikes if you start to lean toward the
practical end of things.

http://www.breezerbikes.com/

Old November 13th 04, 07:20 AM
James Lynx

Maxo, thanks for the input. Yeah, I will stay away from the Raleigh
because if I want a cruiser I'll go all the way and either get one
with internal gears or no gears. I just find cruisers fun and great
looking. They don't cost much if they are just one gear models. If I
need to ride hills and things like that I'll either ride the mountain
bike or get a comfort hybrid. The cruiser is fun and for good looks.

Thanks,

James

I'd stay away from the Raleigh if it's an external 7 speed. If you're
going to go the maintenance free cruiser route, go all the way.

Trek makes a very nice city-commuter bike with an 8 speed internal hub.
Not cheap, but very nice.

Also have a look at Breezer Bikes if you start to lean toward the
practical end of things.

http://www.breezerbikes.com/

Selling Spare Bikes Tom Kunich Marketplace 0 January 10th 04 12:16 AM
Mike Vandeman qa2 Mountain Biking 26 November 18th 03 12:16 PM
£40,000 of Giant bikes stolen -Little Tricycle Pink Pink 10" David L Mountain Biking 0 November 5th 03 10:06 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Cheap Bikes vs expensive bikes - what are the real differences? The Real Slim Shady UK 8 August 13th 03 08:30 PM