Lucky ride.

Old November 13th 04, 02:44 AM
Bill

Default Lucky ride.

Well, today was one of those California winter days, overcast, gloomy,
and just waiting for some chump to try to go on a bicycle ride. I went
out anyway for my around the block ride which means 6 miles around the
farmland in my area. On the way back, riding slowly, don't want to sweat
on a short trip, I spy something in the bushes next to the road.
Naturally I have to stop and investigate, and what do I find but an old
ten speed. How old? Heh. Not one damn part was made in China, Taiwan, or
even Japan. The bike is a Motobecane, Pantin(i?), made in France (It
even says so on a big label), and is a Pantini model. What sets it apart
is the handlebars, not drops, but they kind of swoop up like a cruiser
bike. So here's the rundown on this thing. The rear deraileur is an
Allvit, the front is a Huret, and the brakes are Weinmann 610 (Vainqueur
990), dual label brakes. The front fork bar tube is a Pivo and the seat
is a Pryma. Chainrings are 52/40 and the rear is a 5 speed 14--28. The
brakes still work and so do the derailuers, although the tires are
totally shot. The shifters connect to to the fork tube but somebody lost
the screws so I have just the cable end pieces to work with. A little
oil and a lot of cleaning and I may have a show piece. It pre-dates
anything I have ever seen since my first exposure to European bikes was
my 10 speed Peugot in 1963 and it had drops. This thing looks like a
1950's cruiser with the swoop up bars. I think the tires are 27" x 1 3/8".
Did I luck out?
Anybody ever hear of one of these?
Was Pantin (Pantini?) a famous racer that this could have been named after?
Hoping this was my lucky day since it was not easy to ride and drag this
at the same time.
Bill Baka

Old November 13th 04, 04:04 AM
Zoot Katz

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:44:09 -0800, Bill wrote:

The bike is a Motobecane, Pantin(i?), made in France (It
even says so on a big label), and is a Pantini model.

Pantin is the city in France where Motobecane is/was manufactured.
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Fra...obecane_Hm.htm

The rear deraileur is an Allvit, the front is a Huret,

The rear derailleur is then also a Huret.
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/France/Huret_main.htm
Old November 13th 04, 04:35 AM
Bill Baka

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:04:33 -0800, Zoot Katz wrote:

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:44:09 -0800, Bill wrote:

The bike is a Motobecane, Pantin(i?), made in France (It
even says so on a big label), and is a Pantini model.

Pantin is the city in France where Motobecane is/was manufactured.
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Fra...obecane_Hm.htm

The rear deraileur is an Allvit, the front is a Huret,

The rear derailleur is then also a Huret.
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/France/Huret_main.htm

Well, it was kinda grungy and getting dark, so I have a
project for the morning.
Thanks,
Bill Baka

--
Just Bill again
Old November 13th 04, 05:18 AM
Bill Baka

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:04:33 -0800, Zoot Katz wrote:

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:44:09 -0800, Bill wrote:

The bike is a Motobecane, Pantin(i?), made in France (It
even says so on a big label), and is a Pantini model.

Pantin is the city in France where Motobecane is/was manufactured.
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Fra...obecane_Hm.htm

The rear deraileur is an Allvit, the front is a Huret,

The rear derailleur is then also a Huret.
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/France/Huret_main.htm

Yup, Huret. I couldn't read through all the grunge. I don't know
whether I should give it the steel wool treatment or not. That
logo is kind of hard to read even clean. The best match I saw
was the vintage 1958.
What fun.
I will probably have a snowball's chance in hell of ever finding
original parts unless I get real lucky on Ebay while I have the
spare change.
Good winter project to go with the Schwinn Super Sport.
My wife will know when I am home, just listen for the crash, tink,
(4 letter word of your choice)....YES, it fits.

--
Just Bill again
Old November 13th 04, 06:03 AM
Zoot Katz

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 21:18:43 -0800, Bill Baka wrote:

My wife will know when I am home, just listen for the crash, tink,
(4 letter word of your choice)....YES, it fits.

Better get ready to increase your vocabulary then. It's French.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/velos.html
Old November 14th 04, 01:16 AM
Bill Baka

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:03:55 -0800, Zoot Katz
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 21:18:43 -0800, Bill Baka wrote:

My wife will know when I am home, just listen for the crash, tink,
(4 letter word of your choice)....YES, it fits.

Better get ready to increase your vocabulary then. It's French.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/velos.html

I should have said "Pardon my French".

--
Just Bill again