Nobody uses electric gloves?

Old November 12th 04, 06:18 PM
Richard Amirault

"dgk" wrote...
Is there a particular one that you recommend? Neither Nashbar nor
Performance seem to have any.

I would likely use rechargeable batteries.

It may be that few folks (if any) are still making them for sale. The only
links I could find in GOOGLE were for electric gloves for motorcycle use
(using the vehicle's power, not flashlight batteries). When I bought my
battery gloves it was years ago. It may be that it was "It seemed like a
good idea at the time" sort of thing that just didn't pan out. Rather than
use battery power, now you can easily find gloves that have a special pouch
for a small chemical hand warmer. (I have this style also .. purchased last
year)

--
Richard Amirault N1JDU
Boston, MA, USA Go Fly A Kite

Old November 13th 04, 01:48 AM
Ben Kaufman

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:54:42 -0500, "Richard Amirault"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote ...
(snip)
It seems that battery powered gloves could be thin enough to use the
current when you start out but turn off when you get warm enough not
not need it anymore.

Seems reasonable but since no one is doing it, there are clearly
objections. And these are...

Don't ride that much in the cold to try them. I *do* have a pair
(somewhere) ... they run of a single D sized cell which sits in a pouch sewn
into the glove at the wrist. Each glove has it's own cell. A bit of a pain
to turn on and off by the way.

Also, I don't agree with the concept of needing less as you "get warm enough
not to need it anymore." My hands get colder further into the ride (like
about 45 minutes) Yes, your body should feel cool when you start the ride.
It will heat up as you ride, but we are talking about hands here not your
core body temp. Cold hands (fingers actually) are the reason I stop riding
when the weather gets cold. The only thing I think would work would be to
completely enclose each handlebar end with just an opening for my writs.
Similar accessories have been sold for snowmobiles, and ATV's.

I use Gordini AquaBlock gloves on the bike when the temp is below 40F. Very
warm, soft and windproof. I got mine at Campmor a few years ago. I also use them
for XC skiing when it's below 25F (otherwise sweat them up too much, although I
never mind hot hands or feet when it's freezing).

Ben
Old November 13th 04, 04:47 AM
foldedpath

dgk wrote in
:

Is there a particular one that you recommend? Neither Nashbar nor
Performance seem to have any.

I would likely use rechargable batteries.

It's been years since I bought mine... I can't remember where I got them,
and they're packed away where I can't check the brand. Here's a few hits I
found with a quick Google search. The first two look like the ones I have,
may even be the same brand:

http://tinyurl.com/6cjc9

http://www.brucemedical.com/ng25.html

Here's another type... electric liners with a separate battery pack... not
as convenient as being on the glove, but more flexibility in what kind of
shell you can use over them:

http://www.electrichandwarmers.com/glove.html

--
Mike Barrs
Old November 13th 04, 03:23 PM
Ben Kaufman

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:47:38 -0600, foldedpath
wrote:

dgk wrote in
:

Is there a particular one that you recommend? Neither Nashbar nor
Performance seem to have any.

I would likely use rechargable batteries.

It's been years since I bought mine... I can't remember where I got them,
and they're packed away where I can't check the brand. Here's a few hits I
found with a quick Google search. The first two look like the ones I have,
may even be the same brand:

http://tinyurl.com/6cjc9

http://www.brucemedical.com/ng25.html

Here's another type... electric liners with a separate battery pack... not
as convenient as being on the glove, but more flexibility in what kind of
shell you can use over them:

http://www.electrichandwarmers.com/glove.html

I think the weight of the batteries (especially the last one that takes 8 D
cells) makes it lighter to just carry two types of gloves or a shell/liner
combo. The first two items appear to be heavy insulated gloves (the 2nd one
mentions thinsulate), which would probably be too much, even without electric,
for the O.P. once he is warmed up.

Ben
Old November 13th 04, 03:37 PM
Claire Petersky

"dgk" wrote in message
I'm having a bit of glove trouble. My hands very get cold, certainly
for the first few miles. Cold enough that I really don't like it. I
can try for warmer gloves, and scanned this newgroup going back over a
year and read the glove threads.

Have you considered using those little chemical packs? They typically cost
99 cents. I wouldn't use them on a daily basis, but it's worth having one in
the saddle bag for when your hands turn completely numb.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old November 13th 04, 11:09 PM
Dane Jackson

Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:21:15 -0500, dgk wrote:

... I'm starting to carry a lot of stuff and it isn't easy to stop and
switch around, especially since the pack is bungie corded to the
carrier.

You might consider a rack with a trunk bag. I have one and it's very
useful -- whenever I take long rides I go with two quarts of water, food,
tools, etc.

I used one of those for about two years, and they are nice. But I
recently started using an SQR Carradice touring bag. It's much
quicker to get on and off the bike, which is nice for stops at the
library on the way home. Also it means you don't need a rack, and
it's fairly easy to get a SQR block to put on other bikes so you
can swap it. Excellent for folding bikes also.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bags/sqr-products.htm

I have a cheap one from Nashbar, it's $23 now but I've seen it on sale for
$15. I like it and would recommend it at the higher price.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=6804

That's what I started off with. I did have to replace it after about
nine months of use, the zippers had started to die.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"The loss of life will be irreplaceable."
Old November 15th 04, 03:33 PM
dgk

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 15:37:50 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
I'm having a bit of glove trouble. My hands very get cold, certainly
for the first few miles. Cold enough that I really don't like it. I
can try for warmer gloves, and scanned this newgroup going back over a
year and read the glove threads.

Have you considered using those little chemical packs? They typically cost
99 cents. I wouldn't use them on a daily basis, but it's worth having one in
the saddle bag for when your hands turn completely numb.

If they were reusable. But my fingers were freezing for the first four
miles today. That is really annoying. It is the only part, so far,
that makes the commute unpleasant.
Old November 15th 04, 03:47 PM
dgk

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 15:23:51 GMT, Ben Kaufman
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:47:38 -0600, foldedpath
wrote:

dgk wrote in
m:

[...]

I just ordered the first one. My fingers were just freezing for the
first 4 miles today, and it was 38F - my fingers just get very cold
quickly. I haven't noticed that I ever really get too hot. I think I
will carry a second set of gloves for when it gets too warm, but once
it drops another 10 or 20 degrees these will be on the whole way. Hey,
someone has to keep the economy moving along.
Old November 16th 04, 01:09 AM
Claire Petersky

"dgk" wrote in message
news
If they were reusable. But my fingers were freezing for the first four
miles today. That is really annoying. It is the only part, so far,
that makes the commute unpleasant.

It usually takes a couple of miles for my hands to completely turn numb. I
find that if I stuff my hands under my jersey at the top of the big hill at
mile 3 at the long stoplight, that this will sufficiently thaw them that
they will then be OK for the rest of the ride. I usually stuff one, wait for
it to thaw, and then switch. It's a bummer if I actually make that light,
but never fear, there's another long light at the bottom of the hill that is
another hand-warming opportunity.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Merida Powercycle Electric bike Comments? Fox in The Hat Productions General 0 October 21st 04 11:25 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Weight-lifting gloves for cycling Dave Stallard General 11 June 19th 04 11:31 PM