Shimano Nexus 8-speed Hubs

Old January 31st 05, 09:55 PM
Sheldon Brown

Default Shimano Nexus 8-speed Hubs

It's been over a year since we first placed our order, but we finally
have received Shimano Nexus 8-speed hubs.

I bought one myself, I'll be doing it up with 650B rims...

See: http://harriscyclery.com/shimano-nexus

I've also scanned and put up the Service Manual for these hubs at:

http://sheldonbrown.com/nexus8

Sheldon "Planetary Gears!" Brown
| If you wish in the world to advance, |
| Your merits you're bound to enhance; |
| You must stir it, and stump it, |
| And blow your own trumpet, |
| Or, trust me, you haven't a chance! |
| --W.S. Gilbert |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old January 31st 05, 11:11 PM
Tom Ace

Sheldon Brown wrote:

See: http://harriscyclery.com/shimano-nexus

I've also scanned and put up the Service Manual for these hubs at:

http://sheldonbrown.com/nexus8

Thanks Sheldon for the info.

Do you know how many planetary stages the hub has,
and what combinations of stages are used in each gear?

Shimano says it has a silent clutch; is there no pawl
click when coasting?

Just curious.

Tom Ace

Old January 31st 05, 11:31 PM
Sheldon Brown

I wrote:

See: http://harriscyclery.com/shimano-nexus

I've also scanned and put up the Service Manual for these hubs at:

http://sheldonbrown.com/nexus8

Tom Ace asked:

Do you know how many planetary stages the hub has,
and what combinations of stages are used in each gear?

Nope.

Shimano says it has a silent clutch; is there no pawl
click when coasting?

I presume not, that's what "Silent Clutch" mean, but I'm still waiting
for rims to build up my own.

Sheldon "Gonna Try 650B" Brown
| All theory, dear friend, is grey, |
| but the golden tree of actual life |
| springs ever green. --Goethe |

Old February 1st 05, 02:46 AM
Jim Smith

Sheldon Brown writes:

It's been over a year since we first placed our order, but we finally
have received Shimano Nexus 8-speed hubs.

I bought one myself, I'll be doing it up with 650B rims...

See: http://harriscyclery.com/shimano-nexus

I've also scanned and put up the Service Manual for these hubs at:

http://sheldonbrown.com/nexus8

Do they make them without the brake?
Old February 1st 05, 05:17 AM
Chalo

Sheldon Brown wrote:

It's been over a year since we first placed our order, but we finally

have received Shimano Nexus 8-speed hubs.

See: http://harriscyclery.com/shimano-nexus

Confound it. True to clueless form, Shimano have dished up a heaping
helping of asymmetrical flange offset on a hub that didn't need to have
any.

Another nugget on the towering mountain of reasons not to buy their
crap-- like I really needed another one.

Chalo Colina

Old February 1st 05, 06:10 AM
Sheldon Brown

Chalo wrote:

Confound it. True to clueless form, Shimano have dished up a heaping
helping of asymmetrical flange offset on a hub that didn't need to have
any.

2.7 mm is a "heaping helping" of asymmetry? Most non-flip-flop hubs
have at least this much asymmetry.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/nexus8/pages/28.htm

Even typical track hubs are more asymmetrical than this, viz:

Campagnolo 5-13 depending on model,
Miche at 15,
Phil Wood at 14 mm,
Sun Tour at 6 mm.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/spocalc.

Another nugget on the towering mountain of reasons not to buy their
crap-- like I really needed another one.

"Crap?" This is the best multi-speed hub you can buy for less than
$700! Sounds like predjudice to me.

Sheldon "Millions Of People Say _I_ Exaggerate!" Brown
| Pohl's law: Nothing is so good that somebody, |
| somewhere, will not hate it. |

Old February 1st 05, 06:20 AM
Tom Sherman

Sheldon Brown wrote:

"Crap?" This [Nexus-8] is the best multi-speed hub you can buy for less than
$700!...

I wish someone would test the efficiency of the Nexus-8 versus the
Spectro-7.

I wonder if SRAM will respond with a "Spectro-8" or "Spectro-9"?

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Old February 1st 05, 06:20 AM

Jim Smith wrote:
http://sheldonbrown.com/nexus8

Do they make them without the brake?

Yes. The brake is not an integral part of the hub.
http://www.shimano-europe.com/cyclin...455&psid=11453
Jeff

Old February 1st 05, 06:30 AM
Sheldon Brown

I wrote:

It's been over a year since we first placed our order, but we finally
have received Shimano Nexus 8-speed hubs.

I bought one myself, I'll be doing it up with 650B rims...

See: http://harriscyclery.com/shimano-nexus

I've also scanned and put up the Service Manual for these hubs at:

http://sheldonbrown.com/nexus8

Jim Smith asked:

Do they make them without the brake?

You can leave the brake off. That's what I did with my Nexus 7-speed.

http://sheldonbrown.org/raleigh-competition

If you don't want the brake, we'll knock 15 bucks off the price.

I haven't yet decided whether I'll go with the brake on my new 8-speed.

Sheldon "Neck's Us" Brown
| This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons |
| exclusively. Please do not discard them after use, |
| send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable |
| sub-atomic resources for future generations. |

Old February 1st 05, 08:45 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Sheldon Brown wrote:

It's been over a year since we first placed our order, but we finally
have received Shimano Nexus 8-speed hubs.

I bought one myself, I'll be doing it up with 650B rims...

Okay, I've read the Rivendell ode to this rim size, but aside from
acting as some sort of revivalist preservation of the rim and tire
standards so future generations can roll along on mid-century French
bicycles, the attraction is purely aesthetic, right?

Or is there some advantage to spanning the 559-622 mm interval I haven't
perceived? Maybe a compromise for 29er-like off road virtues but with
stronger wheels?

"ISO 584?"
--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com