OT - Post exam sickness

Old June 16th 06, 07:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default OT - Post exam sickness

Hi guys,

I know this is way off topic, but I thought I'd see what you guys
thought.

Last week I got to a really big milestone in my work. I'd been working
my arse off for several months, and finally got it submitted and done on
Friday. Sure enough, this week I feel like garbage. Coughing and
snorting everywhere, and with a headf full of cotton wool. Just a
normal cold, but the timing got me to thinking.

Anyway, I realised that when I was an undergrad, I'd get similarly sick
after exams, every semester, like clockwork.

So what's the deal? Is it all psychosomatic or what? Does this happen
to anyone else?

Cheers,

Suzy

PS: Just to get it a bit on-topic, I didn't ride my bike in today
because I feel like garbage.

--
suzyj

Old June 16th 06, 07:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle

suzyj wrote:

Anyway, I realised that when I was an undergrad, I'd get similarly sick
after exams, every semester, like clockwork.

So what's the deal? Is it all psychosomatic or what? Does this happen
to anyone else?

I think it's more a case of you ignoring approaching sickness when you
are flat out, and that cathes up with you once you relax. I get that
with migraines all the time. Have worked 48 hr weekends, get home, sit
down, and suddenly my head feels like it is going to explode. Also felt
generally like crap a month ago when I finished my MBA. I think after
being so motivated for so long, all motivation of any kind promptly
evaporated.

DaveB
Old June 16th 06, 08:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle

suzyj Wrote:

So what's the deal? Is it all psychosomatic or what? Does this happen
to anyone else?

Happens to me a bit. Get stressed, work hard. Then de-stress, and find
myself knackered/sleeping a lot/catching lurgies.

Stay stressed - it may beef up your immune system!

--
cfsmtb

Old June 16th 06, 09:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle

suzyj wrote:
Hi guys,

I know this is way off topic, but I thought I'd see what you guys
thought.

Last week I got to a really big milestone in my work. I'd been working
my arse off for several months, and finally got it submitted and done on
Friday. Sure enough, this week I feel like garbage. Coughing and
snorting everywhere, and with a headf full of cotton wool. Just a
normal cold, but the timing got me to thinking.

Anyway, I realised that when I was an undergrad, I'd get similarly sick
after exams, every semester, like clockwork.

So what's the deal? Is it all psychosomatic or what? Does this happen
to anyone else?

Cheers,

Suzy

PS: Just to get it a bit on-topic, I didn't ride my bike in today
because I feel like garbage.

Well, I have a similar experience at the end of semesters.
I work like an idiot getting all my teaching done, trying
to squeeze every last bit of info into the students before
they scatter like cockroaches on the kitchen tiles then all
that stress switches off. I then try to switch modes for
research and I feel physically and mentally like crap. I
usually start to feel better just before the exam marking
starts :-(.

I agree, getting back on topic: I've not ridden since my
race last Sunday which also makes me feel ordinary.

DeF.

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.
Old June 16th 06, 09:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 16:37:11 +1000, suzyj wrote:

So what's the deal? Is it all psychosomatic or what? Does this happen
to anyone else?

Yeah, I get that too sometimes. I suspect it's a stress thing where your
body says "OK, time to recover", and everything it's been suppressing
comes out of the woodwork. OTOH we could just be weird.

Oh yeah, I found out today why you go up Millwood Ave instead of Fullers
Rd from the Lane Cove River. It's kind of steep on a one gear bike, and at
least mine's only 32:16 with 26" wheels. (But I only got halfway up
Milsons Pt steps on it. Damn!)

--
Dave Hughes |
"Some drink from the Fountain of Knowledge... Others just gargle."

Old June 17th 06, 06:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Random Data wrote:
On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 16:37:11 +1000, suzyj wrote:

So what's the deal? Is it all psychosomatic or what? Does this happen
to anyone else?

Yeah, I get that too sometimes. I suspect it's a stress thing where your
body says "OK, time to recover", and everything it's been suppressing
comes out of the woodwork. OTOH we could just be weird.

snip

I have the same thing too. The absolute worst bout was after I handed
in my honours thesis and five assignments and then had five exams in
six days. The initial onset of illness was due to alcohol, but the
respiratory infection afterwards wasn't. The brain is a powerful thing
that can push the body beyond what it should be capable of - but it
usually comes back to haunt you.

Old June 18th 06, 12:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle

suzyj Wrote:

Anyway, I realised that when I was an undergrad, I'd get similarly sick
after exams, every semester, like clockwork.
So what's the deal? Is it all psychosomatic or what? Does this happen
to anyone else?

I have heard exactly that from other people before. Maybe your body
pumps out sufficient adrenaline and other goodies to keep you going
when you "have to" keep going but when you don't need to perform..
bam.. your body shuts down for recovery.

All this really means is that you lot are working too hard in the first
place!

slacker hippy

--
hippy

Old June 22nd 06, 02:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle

i think this happens to almost everyone!

luckily, i havent gotten sick this time, but im sleeping in waaaaaaay
more than im used to.

dont worry, everything will be stressy and time-deficient again in a
few weeks

--
asterope

Old June 22nd 06, 02:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle

asterope wrote:
i think this happens to almost everyone!

luckily, i havent gotten sick this time, but im sleeping in waaaaaaay
more than im used to.

dont worry, everything will be stressy and time-deficient again in a
few weeks

Cure for post exam sickness.

Have a GF (Kathy) who is a magpie and has more bagage that the D day
invasion of Europe

2) Have her given notice just before exams.

3) Have therefore to move aforesaid bagage to storage.

4) At home have the most inconsiderate pricks on the planet doing
massively noisy work in the flats next door. Thus making staying in bed
not an option. Are their not some noise limits to the noise allowed in
a residential zone. THis has on occasions to be above the damage
threshold, who do I winge to?.

On that front if anyone has a couple of hours to spare tomorrow.. I have
one large item of furniture that still needs moving. It aint a one
person job. I.ll owe you a favor... or alternatively beer.

Dave
Old June 22nd 06, 01:44 PM posted to aus.bicycle

"dave" wrote in message
asterope wrote:
[...]

Where and when? I may have time in the morning as I start work at noon.