Advertising trend?

Old December 6th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ken C. M.

Default Advertising trend?

This morning while watching the news I saw a new (to me) commercial for
T.Rowe Price, featuring a group of roadies (wearing blue) passing a lone
rider (wearing red). Most likely it was to symbolize the performance of
T.Rowe Price over the competitor. But any way has anyone noticed a trend
of advertising featuring bikes??

Ken
--
The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets
old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without
Old December 6th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Kristian M Zoerhoff

In article , ken@up-yours-
spammer.net says...
This morning while watching the news I saw a new (to me) commercial for
T.Rowe Price, featuring a group of roadies (wearing blue) passing a lone
rider (wearing red). Most likely it was to symbolize the performance of
T.Rowe Price over the competitor. But any way has anyone noticed a trend
of advertising featuring bikes??

I always get a kick out of SUV commercials that show the drivers taking their
MTBs out to the woods.

I have noticed a lot of other ads with bikes, at least on the few occasions
that I watch TV per week. I still cringe at the Men's Wearhouse ad where a suit
steps off a curb and gets nailed by a bike (who seems to be WWC, now that I
think about it). We must be the new fashion ornament.

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_
Old December 6th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ken C. M.

Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:
In article , ken@up-yours-
spammer.net says...
This morning while watching the news I saw a new (to me) commercial for
T.Rowe Price, featuring a group of roadies (wearing blue) passing a lone
rider (wearing red). Most likely it was to symbolize the performance of
T.Rowe Price over the competitor. But any way has anyone noticed a trend
of advertising featuring bikes??

I always get a kick out of SUV commercials that show the drivers taking their
MTBs out to the woods.

Yeah I laugh at those too, because you know that about 90% of them never
get driven off road.

I have noticed a lot of other ads with bikes, at least on the few occasions
that I watch TV per week. I still cringe at the Men's Wearhouse ad where a suit
steps off a curb and gets nailed by a bike (who seems to be WWC, now that I
think about it). We must be the new fashion ornament.

Maybe mainstream America is moving towards accepting bikes more?
Probably not.

Ken
Old December 6th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
gds

Ken C. M.

featuring a group of roadies (wearing blue) passing a lone
rider (wearing red). Most likely it was to symbolize the performance of
T.Rowe Price over the competitor.

I thought it was supposed to be symbolic of the last election.

Old December 7th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Doc O'Leary

In article ,
"Ken C. M." wrote:

This morning while watching the news I saw a new (to me) commercial for
T.Rowe Price, featuring a group of roadies (wearing blue) passing a lone
rider (wearing red). Most likely it was to symbolize the performance of
T.Rowe Price over the competitor. But any way has anyone noticed a trend
of advertising featuring bikes??

Yes, the trend is as follows: 99.999% of advertising depicts bicycles as
insignificant. Everything else is probably just a reflection of your
own interest in bikes. Feel free to ask non-bicyclists about what ads
they remember to get a better idea of what is grabbing the attention of
normal people.

--
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, 4ax.com, buzzardnews.com, googlegroups.com,
heapnode.com, localhost, x-privat.org
Old December 8th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ken C. M.

Doc O'Leary wrote:
In article ,
"Ken C. M." wrote:

This morning while watching the news I saw a new (to me) commercial for
T.Rowe Price, featuring a group of roadies (wearing blue) passing a lone
rider (wearing red). Most likely it was to symbolize the performance of
T.Rowe Price over the competitor. But any way has anyone noticed a trend
of advertising featuring bikes??

Yes, the trend is as follows: 99.999% of advertising depicts bicycles as
insignificant. Everything else is probably just a reflection of your
own interest in bikes. Feel free to ask non-bicyclists about what ads
they remember to get a better idea of what is grabbing the attention of
normal people.

I wonder if this is true. If it is why are so many ads featuring bikes?
Many ads show bikes. Not so many as prominently as the one I mentioned
but many have bikes in the background.

Ken
Old December 9th 06, 01:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Doc O'Leary

In article ,
"Ken C. M." wrote:

Doc O'Leary wrote:
In article ,
"Ken C. M." wrote:

This morning while watching the news I saw a new (to me) commercial for
T.Rowe Price, featuring a group of roadies (wearing blue) passing a lone
rider (wearing red). Most likely it was to symbolize the performance of
T.Rowe Price over the competitor. But any way has anyone noticed a trend
of advertising featuring bikes??

Yes, the trend is as follows: 99.999% of advertising depicts bicycles as
insignificant. Everything else is probably just a reflection of your
own interest in bikes. Feel free to ask non-bicyclists about what ads
they remember to get a better idea of what is grabbing the attention of
normal people.

I wonder if this is true. If it is why are so many ads featuring bikes?
Many ads show bikes. Not so many as prominently as the one I mentioned
but many have bikes in the background.

No, they don't. It is a trivial experiment to pick a random hour of
television on a random channel and count the number of ads, the number
with bikes, and the number featuring bikes. Excluding ones that are
specifically *for* bike shops, it'll probably work out to something like
40/1/0. Just because you notice the occasional ad featuring Lance
Armstrong more than the hundreds of car ads in between doesn't mean
bikes are becoming trendy.

Old December 9th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ken C. M.

Doc O'Leary wrote:
In article ,
"Ken C. M." wrote:

Doc O'Leary wrote:
In article ,
"Ken C. M." wrote:

[...]

Well perhaps you are right. But I notice a lot of ads that show bicycles
riding by in the background or parked in the background. Sure as a bike
person I probably notice them more than a non-bike person, but they are
there regardless.

Ken
Old December 9th 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Chris Neary

No, they don't. It is a trivial experiment to pick a random hour of
television on a random channel and count the number of ads, the number
with bikes, and the number featuring bikes. Excluding ones that are
specifically *for* bike shops, it'll probably work out to something like
40/1/0. Just because you notice the occasional ad featuring Lance
Armstrong more than the hundreds of car ads in between doesn't mean
bikes are becoming trendy.

They are if the data a 5 years ago was 40/0/0..........

Chris Neary

"Information, usually seen as the precondition of debate,
is better understood as its by-product." - Christopher Lasch
Old December 12th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat Lamb

Doc O'Leary wrote:
No, they don't. It is a trivial experiment to pick a random hour of
television on a random channel and count the number of ads, the number
with bikes, and the number featuring bikes. Excluding ones that are
specifically *for* bike shops, it'll probably work out to something like
40/1/0. Just because you notice the occasional ad featuring Lance
Armstrong more than the hundreds of car ads in between doesn't mean
bikes are becoming trendy.

Where do you live that you have ads for bike shops on TV??