Help! Stuck Schlumpf Shifter Button

Old November 27th 08, 08:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Default Help! Stuck Schlumpf Shifter Button

Yep, I've been discussing this with Florian and once we work out what's
wrong I'll post it here.

I think I have worked out how to reproduce the problem. If I push the
button in hard (all the way in) and hold it there whilst still spinning
the crank, it get's into the deadzone where the gears don't lock. The
button doesn't spring back out to lock the gear in place, it just get
locked in this 'pushed all the way in' position. Maybe something is
catching?

--
GizmoDuck

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details. www.induni.adventureunicyclist.com
The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net
The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org
Old November 27th 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

And here is the answer from the man himself:

"it seems, that there is some bad friction between axle bolt and gear
shift
button.
If you can wait a few days, I'd like to send you two pairs of bolts
and
buttons with more play, to make sure, that they don't have any
influence on
the shifting process.
We slightly changed the tolerances during the first few monthes of
production, so I could imagine, that the problem has its origin in a
pair of
bolts and a pair of buttons, that weren't checked together.

Is this o.k. for you?"

Florian is awesome. Cheers

Old November 27th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

Ken's last two replies are comprehensible if you assume that the button
needs to be at a specific (spring-loaded?) position for the gear to
lock.

This surprised me, and I wasn't ready to assume that. I just checked my
own Schlumpf (moderately old type: square taper but the high number of
engagement positions). I have about 1 mm of play on each side, by which
I mean that each button can be pushed in against a spring about 1 mm
more than the normal pushed-in position. But if I continue pushing in
and turn the cranks, the coresponding gear (high for gold, low for
silver) stays locked.

So is this dead zone something specific to the newer splined hub? I
wouldn't think so since I've always understood that the internals are
the same between the two versions.

--
Klaas Bil
Old November 27th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chrashing

If it's friction between the shift buttons and the crank bolt, couldn't
you try shifting without the buttons on the wheel by pushing with a thin
tool to see if the fail disappears. If shifting then works fine, you
and Florian are on the right track. Might save a few days.

--
Chrashing

Regards,
Ken

I've been flying.......
Old November 27th 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Chrashing;1139364 wrote:
If it's friction between the shift buttons and the crank bolt, couldn't
you try shifting without the buttons on the wheel by pushing with a thin
tool to see if the fail disappears. If shifting then works fine, you
and Florian are on the right track. Might save a few days.

That's what Florian asked me to do, and that's what I did. I spent
about 5-10min trying to reproduce the problem after taking off the
button and nut. And I couldn't.

After that I screwed the nut and button back on and worked out that I
could reproduce the problem exactly when I push the button hard (all the
way in), whilst turning the cranks. It needs to spring back about a mm
or two for the gear to lock. Otherwise, the button seems to get stuck
in this hypershifted position and doesn't come back out that mm to lock
the gears with.

From what Florian is saying, there needs to be more play between the
button and axle nut, otherwise it could potentially get stuck in this
position. That's why he's sending me new nuts and buttons.

Hope that made sense.

Old November 27th 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sxbud138

can you sand alittle off the shaft or buttons ? Just to get by !

--
sxbud138
Old January 1st 09, 12:16 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
critter

I broke my crankarm the other day. Now I have to take off the cranks.

GizmoDuck;1121677 wrote:
Ok, so I've had a few rides on my new Schlumpf and I tightened one
shifter button a little too hard and it's stuck. I can' remove the
little inner screw- I think I might have rounded it off trying.

I never touch my cranks until today. I can't even take the button off.
I used the tools it came with but it seemed to be stripped right away-
on both sides.

semach.the.monkey;1121714 wrote:
the original Schlumpf one? I know the original ones had two grooves in
the top of the button and came with a special tool that fitted in there
to hold it still whilst tightening the grub screw.

I got it from UDC...it an original
So if I can hold one button I can loosen the other?

joemarshall;1121750 wrote:
I'm presuming you've rounded the allen key bolt, so the allen key just
spins in it, it isn't just that it is very tight?

If it is rounded, and unscrewing the other side doesn't loosen it
enough, the only option is to drill it out.

On other possible option is to use an easy-out / screw extractor. They
are a left hand drill bit, basically you drill a little pilot hole with
a normal drill bit, stick the easy out in, turn the drill to reverse,
and they will dig in and unscrew the bolt (thanks to being left hand
thread the drill action loosens the bolt) . You'd need to hold the
button with pliers when you did this, or else it'd just screw it up.
Hardware shops sell them. You'd need a pretty narrow one for a schlumpf
screw though, and they are a bit brittle sometimes, so a bit risky. It
will destroy the screw, but maybe not the button if you're lucky.

http://tinyurl.com/9l2bxl

Joe

screw extractor sounds like a option

Klaas Bil;1122373 wrote:
No I didn't snap the little bolt. When I wrote I snapped the Allen bit,
I actually meant the Allen -bit-.

Mine looks like that one but it doesn't look amputated.
I do see metal filings when I check the 1.5 allen wrench

Thanks for the special tools, Schlumpf....NOT
It didn't help me or I'm too stupid.

--
critter

MUni! The closest I'll ever get to bull riding!