Master Lock mechanism jammed

Old March 22nd 04, 02:51 PM
cam

Default Master Lock mechanism jammed

Hello all,

I use a Master Lock like this:

http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/ap...cat_id=D8 418

to secure my bike - one of the ones with a locked, unlocked and
'cinch' position for the key. Earlier today I went to unlock the bike
and found that I couldn't move the key in the mechanism away from the
locked position. I have a suspicion I put the cable into the cinch in
the wrong direction but I'm not sure if this should make any
difference. Before locking it, I then pulled it out so that there was
no 'spare' protruding from the exit point of the lock and I have a
feeling that the cable-end may have somehow got jammed in the
mechanism.

No amount of pulling/pushing the cable in combination with shifting
the key around seem to help. This is the first time it had really been
used - it's been lying indoors for months so it should have no
corrosion. I sprayed a little PlusGas (non-graphite based) penetrating
oil but this has had no discernible effect.

I know there's not a lot to go on, but does anyone have any
experiences/suggestions for freeing this?

Cheers,
cam
Old March 22nd 04, 04:37 PM
Mark Thompson

No amount of pulling/pushing the cable in combination with shifting
the key around seem to help. This is the first time it had really been
used - it's been lying indoors for months so it should have no
corrosion. I sprayed a little PlusGas (non-graphite based) penetrating
oil but this has had no discernible effect.

I know there's not a lot to go on, but does anyone have any
experiences/suggestions for freeing this?

Try spraying a lot of PlusGas? When my lock seized (I broke two of the three keys trying
to get the damn thing to open) I went home and returned with the hallowed WD-40. One spray
and it worked fine. Try drowning your lock in the stuff. If that doesn't work then a very
try a big pair of boltcroppers?

Hope you unlock it before someone else does.

Mark.
Old March 22nd 04, 04:45 PM
Tony Raven

"Mark Thompson" wrote in message
93.157...

Hope you unlock it before someone else does.

Its not unknown for locks to have superglue squirted in them. Owner can't
unlock it, leaves it while they work out what to do, scally comes back at a
quiet time, cuts lock, leaves with bike

Tony

Old March 22nd 04, 06:20 PM
Henry E Schaffer

Default slang in Master Lock mechanism jammed

In article ,
Tony Raven wrote:
... leaves it while they work out what to do, scally comes back ...

^^^^^^
From "rascal"?

In the US, the slang used would probably be "perp".
--
--henry schaffer
hes _AT_ ncsu _DOT_ edu
Old March 22nd 04, 06:45 PM
Jon Senior

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Its not unknown for locks to have superglue squirted in them. Owner can't
unlock it, leaves it while they work out what to do, scally comes back at

quiet time, cuts lock, leaves with bike

Apparently the increasingly powerful cordless tools, allow thieves who
target bikes, to angle grind through the lock. I know from experience (no...
I didn't steal the bike!) that it only takes about 15secs to cut clean
through a (admittedly cheap) D-lock. I would hope that the modern ones are
tougher, but it does put a good case for cable and chains as these are
harder to get a purchase on*.

Jon

*This is an opinion and should not be taken as suggestion. I am not
responsible if your bike gets nicked!

Old March 22nd 04, 09:39 PM
Edward Hennessey

"Henry E Schaffer" wrote in message
In article ,
Tony Raven wrote:
... leaves it while they work out what to do, scally comes back ...

^^^^^^
From "rascal"?

Or from scale-ly for snake.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Old March 22nd 04, 09:59 PM
Michael MacClancy

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:15:39 -0000, Tony Raven wrote:

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
(Henry E Schaffer)typed

In article ,
Tony Raven wrote:
... leaves it while they work out what to do, scally comes back ...
^^^^^^
From "rascal"?

In the US, the slang used would probably be "perp".

I think it's short for scallywag.

Whatever, its a Merseyside term for someone up to no good. What its US
equivalent is is not really relevant in UK.rec.cycling in just the same way we
do not need to add sidewalk in brackets every time we mention pavements ;-)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/teens/lads/life...e/scally.shtml

Tony

Actually it's probably a word that was popularised in the US long before
being widely used on this side of the Atlantic.

--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "A modest little person, with much to be modest about."-
Old March 22nd 04, 11:04 PM
cam

Mark Thompson wrote in message news:
Try spraying a lot of PlusGas? When my lock seized (I broke two of the three keys trying
to get the damn thing to open) I went home and returned with the hallowed WD-40. One spray
and it worked fine. Try drowning your lock in the stuff. If that doesn't work then a very
try a big pair of boltcroppers?

Yes, the nuclear option... I'd be well-annoyed to get only one use out
of the b*gger but it might come to that..

I'll give the WD-40 a shot and see what happens.

BTW gents I should have pointed out: the bike is chained up at the
bottom of the stairs in a secure hallway so I'm counting out foul play
from my neighbours and there isn't much chance of it getting nicked -
as far as the jammed mechanism is concerned I'm assuming either
'operator error' or crap workmanship.

Thanks for the observations anyway and any others you can think of...

cam