How cold for a Balaclava

Old November 10th 04, 08:09 PM
kantspel

Badger wrote:
On 10 Nov 2004 09:48:58 -0700, justen wrote:

Roger Zoul wrote:

I'm wondering at about what temp you folks decide you need something like a
balaclava while riding? Seems like 40 degrees F is enough for me.

Below 20F for me. From 20F to freezing, I just wear a headband to keep my
ears warm. Above freezing, I don't bother with any headwear.

justen

So you're telling me that you ride your bike 15-20mph with normal wind,
(say 10-15mph), and if it's 33 deg F you don't need anything on your head?

That's only 20 deg F, factoring wind chill you know.

You wouldn't be this guy wouldja?

http://www.batmantas.com/cmp/freeze.htm

-B

I'm with justin, I'll start to cover my ears in the low thirties and
don't bother with the baclava until the low 20's. The key is working
hard enough to stay warm
Old November 10th 04, 09:17 PM
justen

Badger wrote:
On 10 Nov 2004 09:48:58 -0700, justen wrote:
Below 20F for me. From 20F to freezing, I just wear a headband to keep my
ears warm. Above freezing, I don't bother with any headwear.

So you're telling me that you ride your bike 15-20mph with normal wind,
(say 10-15mph), and if it's 33 deg F you don't need anything on your head?

Yup. I'll go to full gloves and long sleeves when it drops below 50,
and add tights and a windbreaker at about 40, but don't add headgear or
warmer socks until it drops to freezing. My ears and feet don't seem to
get very cold as long as my core temperature is up.

However, my commute is only ~30. Any long rides I do in cold weather
are MTB rides where my wind chill is much less a factor.

Justen

Old November 10th 04, 09:30 PM
Badger

Roger Zoul wrote:

I'm wondering at about what temp you folks decide you need something like a
balaclava while riding? Seems like 40 degrees F is enough for me.

Below 20F for me. From 20F to freezing, I just wear a headband to keep my
ears warm. Above freezing, I don't bother with any headwear.

justen

So you're telling me that you ride your bike 15-20mph with normal wind,
(say 10-15mph), and if it's 33 deg F you don't need anything on your head?

That's only 20 deg F, factoring wind chill you know.

You wouldn't be this guy wouldja?

http://www.batmantas.com/cmp/freeze.htm

-B

I'm with justin, I'll start to cover my ears in the low thirties and
don't bother with the baclava until the low 20's. The key is working
hard enough to stay warm

Well I work plenty hard, and I'm known for my polar bear qualities, but
what do you do about 1) warming up, and 2) the downhills?

I just don't see any need to add to the 'fun' pain of climbing and
sprinting with the 'not-fun' pain in the ears and the cold wind.

What temp do you go to full-fingered gloves? Just curious, b/c yeah, the
less you wear the better, I guess.

-B
I -want- to believe...

Old November 10th 04, 09:34 PM
Justen Meltz

justen wrote:
However, my commute is only ~30. Any long rides I do in cold weather
are MTB rides where my wind chill is much less a factor.

30 minutes.

justen

Old November 10th 04, 10:11 PM
Bill Baka

On 10 Nov 2004 14:17:13 -0700, justen wrote:

Badger wrote:
On 10 Nov 2004 09:48:58 -0700, justen wrote:
Below 20F for me. From 20F to freezing, I just wear a headband to
keep my
ears warm. Above freezing, I don't bother with any headwear.

So you're telling me that you ride your bike 15-20mph with normal wind,
(say 10-15mph), and if it's 33 deg F you don't need anything on your
head?

Yup. I'll go to full gloves and long sleeves when it drops below 50,
and add tights and a windbreaker at about 40, but don't add headgear or
warmer socks until it drops to freezing. My ears and feet don't seem to
get very cold as long as my core temperature is up.

However, my commute is only ~30. Any long rides I do in cold weather
are MTB rides where my wind chill is much less a factor.

Justen

It all depends on what you are doing (or planning on doing). I lived
in Minnesota one winter and found myself chopping fire wood in
15 degree (F) weather and sweating without any shirt. Not
chopping wood I would have froze as solid as the icecycles (sp?)
hanging from the house. There was no hint of wind so it may not
compare with bicycle riding where you make your own wind, but
then speed = effort = self warming.
Bill Baka

Old November 10th 04, 11:00 PM
kantspel

Badger wrote:

Roger Zoul wrote:

[...]

I live at the top of one of the biggest hills in the area (not that it's
all that much) so I usually feel like I'm overdressing just because of
the first mile of my rides. I find that even a little overdressing gets
me sweaty which always makes it colder in the long run. Here's my
general guidelines for the road.

Low 50's - light full finger gloves (my regular mtb gloves)
High 40's - light long sleeve undershirt, warmish gloves
Mid-low 40's - warmish long sleev's
Mid-high 30's - something for my ears if i'm not wearing headphones,
warm gloves or a liner/light glove combo, warm socks. maybe tights
Low 30's - something for the ears, my good jacket (windproof in front,
fleece in back) with short sleeve jersy. tights.
A baclava somewhere in the 20's and then just layers.

I find temps under 0f to be inconvient to prepare for so I don't usually
bother unless I'm just going a few miles. I also hate being cold and
wet so it's not often that I have to contend with rain below 45 or so.
I've never considered myself a penguin, but I hate getting overheated so
I probably err on the side of cold. And I'm always cold for the first
couple of miles but that's where the working part comes in. I always
make sure that I have something extra to put on if I have to stop for a
repair or whatever.

I've only been in a cold climate for a few years so I'm still adjusting.
I find it's really tough to get clothing right mountian biking in the
cold.

Old November 10th 04, 11:02 PM
kantspel

kantspel wrote:
Badger wrote:

Roger Zoul wrote:

[...]

I should clarify my winter riding too, most of it is commuting stuff
under 10 miles per direction (rarly over 30 round trip). I don't really
know what I would change for long distance stuff.
Old November 11th 04, 01:37 AM
Super Slinky

Roger Zoul says...

I'm wondering at about what temp you folks decide you need something like a
balaclava while riding? Seems like 40 degrees F is enough for me.

My cold weather hierarchy for rides of about 2 hours at 20mph goes
something like this:

60º--long sleeved jersey and tights or thin running pants

50º--slightly heavier jersey, tights or thin running pants, light
gloves, wool socks, optional head band or skull cap

40º--base layer under jersey, tights or base layer under thin running
pants, neoprene gloves, wool socks, skull cap

30º--windbreaker, fleece jersey and base layer, neoprene gloves, shoe
covers, running pants with two base layers, thin balaclava.

20º--Stay at home, drive, or exercise indoors.
Old November 11th 04, 03:20 AM
Matt O'Toole

kantspel wrote:

I'm with justin, I'll start to cover my ears in the low thirties and
don't bother with the baclava until the low 20's. The key is working
hard enough to stay warm

Same here. I keep my head shaved or close to it, but my head doesn't get cold
until 40F or so. Below that, I like to have some warm headgear, and to keep my
ears warm. I know I'll get "heat" for this, but in the 30s I often ride with a
ski cap instead of a helmet. Those "Headsweats" bandanas are pretty effective
too.

It's rarely below freezing here in the middle of the day when I go for longer
rides, and keeping warm is rarely a problem for short trips. I can stand to be
cold for a few minutes, to go into town or ride home. Home is all uphill
anyway.

Most people around here are wimps when it comes to the weather. It's really not
that cold, yet hardly anyone rides when it's below 50F. Yet they all ski, etc.,
as if that's any different than biking outdoors.

Matt O.

Old November 11th 04, 04:40 AM
Roger Zoul

Super Slinky wrote:
|| Roger Zoul says...
||| I'm wondering at about what temp you folks decide you need
||| something like a balaclava while riding? Seems like 40 degrees F
||| is enough for me.
|| My cold weather hierarchy for rides of about 2 hours at 20mph goes
|| something like this:
|| 60º--long sleeved jersey and tights or thin running pants
|| 50º--slightly heavier jersey, tights or thin running pants, light
|| gloves, wool socks, optional head band or skull cap
|| 40º--base layer under jersey, tights or base layer under thin
|| running pants, neoprene gloves, wool socks, skull cap
|| 30º--windbreaker, fleece jersey and base layer, neoprene gloves,
|| shoe covers, running pants with two base layers, thin balaclava.
|| 20º--Stay at home, drive, or exercise indoors.

Thanks. That's useful info. I had not considered fully the need for the
full range of clothing options needed.