GM Offers Cadillac Brand Of Bicycles

Old July 28th 05, 11:54 PM
Garrison Hilliard

Default GM Offers Cadillac Brand Of Bicycles

GM Offers Cadillac Brand Of Bicycles

POSTED: 7:37 am EDT July 26, 2005

DETROIT -- Even if you can't afford an Escalade, a Cadillac can still be your
ride. But you'll have to supply the horsepower -- or make that pedal power.

GM is now offering a Cadillac-brand line of bicycles. The Caddy crest is on the
seat and the front of the frame.

Cadillac General Manager Ron Lippner said the bikes are in select shops, with
wider distribution expected in the next few months. Cadillac officials said some
dealers may be giving the bikes away to help close a car deal or as a premium
for their sales people.

The Caddy bikes are offered in a number of styles, including drop-handlebar
racing types and mountain bikes. Prices range from $500 to about $1,900.

There was no word, though, if you'll be able to get custom spinning rims for the
Cadillac bikes.

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/irr...55/detail.html
Old July 29th 05, 02:39 AM
Garrison Hilliard

http://www.cadillacbicycles.com/index.html

Old July 30th 05, 03:08 AM
Ken

Bob wrote in news:jjkle19sgrugv14gijlepbgfucp35cb9cg@
4ax.com:
If other recent GM moves are any indication, these are probably just
relabeled Opel or Subaru bikes with a different paint job and trim.

Caddy bikes are made by Kent, the same company that makes bikes for Walmart.
Old July 30th 05, 03:59 AM
Bruce Gilbert

They were just up the row from us at Interbike last year. Interesting
marketing idea. The bikes are not very high end. However, they are targeted
at buyers who are not really serious riders, just sensitive to brand
identification. It is a whole different market segment from most of the
participants in this net. What the frames really looked like to me is the
typical Taiwan aluminum product that is all over the place these days, along
with mid-range to not so terrific components. Interestingly enough, they put
an ad in the recent Bicycle Retailer magazine touting the profitability and
easy sales aspects of the line... hmmmm

Bruce

Old July 30th 05, 05:33 PM
Remove No Spam To Reply

I called the "authorized" dealer in our city.

So as not to insult them directly, I will not name them.

Interesting that the dealer is a third tier dealer, as the primary and
secondary dealers realize the marketing "value" of the name.

As I am a road rider, I asked about the component level on the road bike.
It is only Shimano 105....

I was quoted $1700 for the bike.

Wouldn't you think that the bike should at least be spec'd with
Ultegra....... or DA.

I realize cost vs. price issues, but...................come on when was the
last time you hear Shimano 105 being referred to as the "Cadillac" of the
Shimano line.

Old July 30th 05, 07:16 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 16:33:33 GMT, "Remove No Spam To Reply"
(nospam)newsgroups(nospam)@allanoxenreiter(nospa m).com wrote:

I realize cost vs. price issues, but...................come on when was the
last time you hear Shimano 105 being referred to as the "Cadillac" of the
Shimano line.

DA is then clearly the Rolls Royce and Ultegra is the Mercedes Benz. It's
not like Cadillacs are all *that* luxurious after all.

Jasper
Old July 30th 05, 09:58 PM
JimLane

Jasper Janssen wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 16:33:33 GMT, "Remove No Spam To Reply"
(nospam)newsgroups(nospam)@allanoxenreiter(nospa m).com wrote:

I realize cost vs. price issues, but...................come on when was the
last time you hear Shimano 105 being referred to as the "Cadillac" of the
Shimano line.

DA is then clearly the Rolls Royce and Ultegra is the Mercedes Benz. It's
not like Cadillacs are all *that* luxurious after all.

Jasper

And when was the last time and the year model of the one you rode in?

jim
Old July 30th 05, 10:46 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 13:58:59 -0700, JimLane wrote:
Jasper Janssen wrote:

DA is then clearly the Rolls Royce and Ultegra is the Mercedes Benz. It's
not like Cadillacs are all *that* luxurious after all.

And when was the last time and the year model of the one you rode in?

Never, actually, but I've seen 'em on TV. And I've seen 60s/70s open-top
caddies swanning around town here, but I grant those aren't typical.
Either way, it's *definitely* not a Rolls Royce level of finish on
Cadillacs. Mercedes Benz might be a bad comparison.

Jasper
Old July 31st 05, 12:52 AM
lewdvig

This will stop theirplummet for sure /sarcasm

Old July 31st 05, 08:02 AM
JimLane

Jasper Janssen wrote:

DA is then clearly the Rolls Royce and Ultegra is the Mercedes Benz. It's
not like Cadillacs are all *that* luxurious after all.

And when was the last time and the year model of the one you rode in?

Never, actually, but I've seen 'em on TV. And I've seen 60s/70s open-top
caddies swanning around town here, but I grant those aren't typical.
Either way, it's *definitely* not a Rolls Royce level of finish on
Cadillacs. Mercedes Benz might be a bad comparison.

Jasper

Okay, you've confused TV and reality ;- I think you'll find them in the
best shape since their heyday.

jim