Fork or forks?

Old July 30th 05, 06:38 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Default Fork or forks?

Is it "a carbon fork" or "a pair of carbon forks"? And in an accident,
is "the fork" bent, or are "the forks" bent?

Just wondering...
Old July 30th 05, 07:47 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 18:38:17 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
wrote:

Is it "a carbon fork" or "a pair of carbon forks"? And in an accident,
is "the fork" bent, or are "the forks" bent?

Just wondering...

One fork, with two fork blades. The cutlery isn't a trio or quad of forks
either. Plus, the origin of the word is from 'forked' as in 'he speaks
with forked tongue!', ie, something that splits into two.

Jasper
Old July 30th 05, 09:54 PM
Bill Sornson

wrote:

Is it "a carbon fork" or "a pair of carbon forks"? And in an
accident, is "the fork" bent, or are "the forks" bent?

Just wondering...

One fork, with two fork blades. The cutlery isn't a trio or quad of
forks either. Plus, the origin of the word is from 'forked' as in 'he
speaks with forked tongue!', ie, something that splits into two.

Now if people would just stop saying "handlebars".

Bill "unless it's a tandem there's just ONE" S.

Old July 30th 05, 10:25 PM
Greg Berchin

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 20:54:32 GMT, "Bill Sornson"
wrote:

Now if people would just stop saying "handlebars".

And "front fork", as if there's a "rear fork".
Old July 30th 05, 10:47 PM
Jasper Janssen

wrote:

Now if people would just stop saying "handlebars".

And "front fork", as if there's a "rear fork".

Two of them, even. The lower rear fork and the seatstay rear fork.

Jasper
Old July 31st 05, 12:18 AM
Greg Berchin

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 21:47:24 GMT, Jasper Janssen
wrote:

Two of them, even. The lower rear fork and the seatstay rear fork.

True, but doe anyone ever refer to them as such? I know them as "chain
stays" and "seat stays".
Old July 31st 05, 01:10 AM
Jasper Janssen

wrote:

Two of them, even. The lower rear fork and the seatstay rear fork.

True, but doe anyone ever refer to them as such? I know them as "chain
stays" and "seat stays".

Depends. Especially in designs that have an actual fork (seatstays
especially have that sometimes), where the stays come together into a
single tube before they meet the rest of the frame, I'd be tempted to use
the terminology, except that the generally accepted rbt term is stays, so
I'd use that here. But to a non-bikie?

Jasper
Old July 31st 05, 08:22 PM
Wannagofast

He bent both fork blades or just one?

Old July 31st 05, 08:36 PM
maxo

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 18:38:17 +0100, Zog The Undeniable wrote:

Is it "a carbon fork" or "a pair of carbon forks"? And in an accident, is
"the fork" bent, or are "the forks" bent?

Just wondering...

Do you sit down to your sirloin dinner with forks in hand?

Mind you, it bugs me when people say "pant" instead of "pants".

LOL

Old August 1st 05, 06:18 AM
Leo Lichtman

"maxo" wrote: (clip) Mind you, it bugs me when people say "pant" instead of
"pants".
If a pair of pliers is what we know it is, then it follows that a "plier" is
one handle with its attached jaw. And a "scissor" is a loop handle with its
attached blade. But, singularly, neither of these things can work. So how
is a "plier" anything?