126mm Campagnolo hub - can I use any 126mm Campy axle?

Old July 31st 05, 05:36 PM
citizen560

Default 126mm Campagnolo hub - can I use any 126mm Campy axle?

I broke the axle in my 6-speed 126mm Campagnolo hub. I bought the
wheelset second-hand, so I have no idea what model it is. When I look
for replacement axles on loosescrews.com, they have three sets that
appear identical, but they are labelled for different models. Does it
matter? Here's what I was looking at.

http://loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=s...d=376572912882

http://loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=s...d=376572912882

http://loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=s...d=376572912882

And last question - what size bearings do I need to repack this hub?

Old July 31st 05, 07:21 PM

Randy Mcdonnell writes:

I broke the axle in my 6-speed 126mm Campagnolo hub. I bought the
wheels second-hand, so I have no idea what model it is. When I
look for replacement axles on loosescrews.com, they have three sets
that appear identical, but they are labelled for different models.
Does it matter? Here's what I was looking at.

http://loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=s...d=376572912882

http://loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=s...d=376572912882

http://loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=s...d=376572912882

Of these, the second one looks right from the picture and description
although the differences are not self evident from the picture. The
fist seems to have too short an axle with practically no over-stand
shown at the left end. All seem to be considered suitable for a
6-speed freewheel. You can always saw some off if the axle is too
long but stretching an axle is not a choice.

And last question - what size bearings do I need to repack this hub?

9-1/4" balls, no cage.

Jobst Brandt
Old July 31st 05, 07:48 PM
citizen560

Thank you very much! I placed the order. Am I correct in believing
that I will need a special wrench (special=narrow) to re-assemble the
hub with the new axle? Where can I buy new grease (and what should I
get)?

Thanks again, and I promise that's my last barrage of questions!

Old July 31st 05, 09:41 PM
John Dacey

"Errare mehercule malo cum Platone, quem tu quanti facias, scio quam
cum istis vera sentire." - Cicero

On 31 Jul 2005 09:36:51 -0700, "citizen560"
wrote:

I broke the axle in my 6-speed 126mm Campagnolo hub. I bought the
wheelset second-hand, so I have no idea what model it is. When I look
for replacement axles on loosescrews.com, they have three sets that
appear identical, but they are labelled for different models. Does it
matter? Here's what I was looking at.

http://loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=s...d=376572912882

http://loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=s...d=376572912882

http://loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=s...d=376572912882

These are complete axle sets with cones, spacers and jam nuts from
various Campagnolo hub models. If the cones on your hub are not
scored, all you need is a 10×26×134 axle, onto which you will put the
cones, spacers and jam nuts from your existing axle. The "over-stand"
mentioned by another poster isn't a function of the axle, but rather
is simply adjusted to be roughly equal at each end when the bearing
preload is set.

Most shops that service bicycles will have an axle with the requisite
dimensions in stock, but if you're determined to purchase through the
online vendor mentioned above, the part is
http://loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=s...d=376572912882

And last question - what size bearings do I need to repack this hub?

Nine 1/4" balls in each cup.

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Since 1983
Comprehensive catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
http://www.businesscycles.com
Old July 31st 05, 10:10 PM
citizen560

Thanks for the reply!

The local bike shop already had the wheel for two weeks before
admitting they couldn't get the parts (???). There is a small amount
of pitting on one of the cones, so I thought I'd just go ahead and
overhaul the whole shebang and get the kit. I originally took it to
the shop because I wanted it done quickly, without me having to track
down the parts - but that didn't work out, and I need my bike (it's my
sole means of transportation).

What can you recommend for grease (something readily available)?

Old August 1st 05, 03:48 AM
John Dacey

"Invitat culpam qui delictum praeterit" - Syrus
On 31 Jul 2005 14:10:39 -0700, "citizen560"
wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

There is a small amount
of pitting on one of the cones, so I thought I'd just go ahead and
overhaul the whole shebang and get the kit.

When I suggested just the axle, I didn't know about the other damage.
If your cones are also compromised, the axle kit is the least
expensive solution to acquire the parts you'll need.

What can you recommend for grease (something readily available)?

You've answered your own question--use something readily available.
Hub lubricants have been discussed here often and a search will reveal
a staggering array of people's favorites. The general consensus is
that after (fill in the blank), any good grease with reasonable water
resistance will do the job. Personally, I mostly use Shimano's
translucent yellow Dura-Ace grease, and take particular pleasure in
slathering it into Campagnolo hubs.

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
http://www.businesscycles.com
Since 1983
Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
-------------------------------
Old August 1st 05, 05:42 AM
citizen560

Thanks for all your help!

Old August 1st 05, 07:51 AM
A Muzi

citizen560 wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

The local bike shop already had the wheel for two weeks before
admitting they couldn't get the parts (???). There is a small amount
of pitting on one of the cones, so I thought I'd just go ahead and
overhaul the whole shebang and get the kit. I originally took it to
the shop because I wanted it done quickly, without me having to track
down the parts - but that didn't work out, and I need my bike (it's my
sole means of transportation).

What can you recommend for grease (something readily available)?

Lubriplate 130AA white lithium grease is neary identical to
the original lubricant your hubs shipped with but any good
quality grease -any color- in that range would be fine.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old August 3rd 05, 05:09 AM
Hank Wirtz

"citizen560" wrote in
oups.com:

Thank you very much! I placed the order. Am I correct in believing
that I will need a special wrench (special=narrow) to re-assemble the
hub with the new axle? Where can I buy new grease (and what should I
get)?

Thanks again, and I promise that's my last barrage of questions!

Cone wrenches, available at any bike shop. I'd guess a 14mm, but check
against one of your cones.

Park has a great hub overhaul guide:
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_hub.shtml

Good luck!

-Hank

Old August 4th 05, 01:25 AM
Donald Gillies

"citizen560" writes:

Thanks for the reply!

The local bike shop already had the wheel for two weeks before
admitting they couldn't get the parts (???). There is a small amount
of pitting on one of the cones, so I thought I'd just go ahead and
overhaul the whole shebang and get the kit.

Wheels manufacturing is making 10mm x 26tpi axles EVEN TODAY. The
first thing you need to do is to find a NEW bike shop staffed with
not-stupid people. Do it TODAY.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA