Weight Loss and Heart rate

Old May 22nd 04, 01:18 AM
Kazu

Default Weight Loss and Heart rate

I wanted to ask this newsgroup a question about Weight Loss, and Heart Rate.

What is more beneficial, to ride long rides of say 50 to 80 kms, and keep
between my recommended training zone of 65% to 85% of my maximum heart rate,
or go faster and stay above 85% for a while, sometimes peaking to 95%.

Is this more beneficial if I work harder, or is it dangerous, what should I
do to acheive good weight loss ?
Thanks for any feedback.

Kazu

Old May 22nd 04, 02:41 AM
John Tserkezis

Kazu wrote:

I wanted to ask this newsgroup a question about Weight Loss, and Heart Rate.

What is more beneficial, to ride long rides of say 50 to 80 kms, and keep
between my recommended training zone of 65% to 85% of my maximum heart rate,
or go faster and stay above 85% for a while, sometimes peaking to 95%.

You want to go as hard as you can, while not going too hard that you burn
yourself out too early thus not spend a sufficient amount of time working.

I used to spend about 35min (going hard) on the road almost daily. Nowadays,
(since I'm commuting to work on the bicycle as well) I wouldn't bother getting
out of bed for a recreational ride of any less than several hours.

If you want to loose the most fat for the least amount of effort, my advice,
if you want to take it, would be any one of the variety of weight-loss clinics
around. Check the phone book.
There is some relationship between the body's "efficiency" regarding heart
rate the the percentage of fat lost verses muscle, but this becomes a "most fat
for least effort" issue, where the above suggestion would better serve (with
likely better results) instead.

Is this more beneficial if I work harder,

Generally speaking, going slower over a longer period of time is better, but
that doesn't mean a casual sunday stroll, you need to work. You might start
aiming for about an hour, and go as hard as you can while still being able to
do it for that long. If you're just starting out, it may very well be just a
casual sunday stroll, that's fine, you'll get faster as you progress.

Don't let anyone tell you 15min a day is enough. It's not. It takes me that
long just to warm up.

or is it dangerous,

I wouldn't say it's dangerous, your heart and muscles are somewhat
self-regulating, in that they simply won't *let* you go harder if you've
reached your capability limit.
However, if you insist on going too hard too fast, the several-day recovery
time (along with the associated muscle pain) will most certainly NOT help with
self-encouragement. Nor will it help with results, since you've burnt yourself
out too quickly, thus not spending enough time working out.

what should I do to acheive good weight loss ?
Thanks for any feedback.

Depends on if you want it done quickly, permanently, or both. You would
probably be best off with professional advice, since they can taylor a workout
schedule that suits you, as well as possibly initiate a lifestyle change that
can prevent the reason you're eating in excess in the first place.

A bicycle is just one way of doing it. I picked it on several criteria:

-Good aerobic activity.
-It had to be interesting (I get bored easily).
-It had to be reasonably priced (don't spend lots on your first bike, you'll
apprecieate the better bikes you buy later, and you won't be wasting money if
you find out bikes don't suit you)
-It had to be convenient to get to (can't beat leaving the house WITH the bike)
-I had to be able to do it at any time of day (I had a variable availability
schedule)
-Low impact. (My joints weren't the best when I was born, so I have to take
care of them).

A bike suited that purpose best. I've gone through three bikes in 15 years
(progressively lighter and higher quality), my current fourth is a recumbent.
My body didn't appear to agree with the upright bike geometry (stupid amounts
of back muscle pain).

Now that I'm commuting, it turns out that a bike is faster than trains (owing
to the "wonderful" rail system we have here in sydney).

Can't beat the motorcycle for longer distances, but it hasn't proved to be a
problem so far.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622 http://counter.li.org

Old May 22nd 04, 06:20 PM
DRS

"John Tserkezis" wrote in message

[...]

If you want to loose the most fat for the least amount of effort,
my advice, if you want to take it, would be any one of the variety of
weight-loss clinics around. Check the phone book.

Why on earth would anyone want to get their hard earned to those ******s?
There's no magic to weight loss. Eat less! Exercise more! Repeat!

--

A: Top-posters.

Old May 22nd 04, 06:22 PM
DRS

"Kazu" wrote in message

I wanted to ask this newsgroup a question about Weight Loss, and
Heart Rate.

What is more beneficial, to ride long rides of say 50 to 80 kms, and
keep between my recommended training zone of 65% to 85% of my maximum
heart rate, or go faster and stay above 85% for a while, sometimes
peaking to 95%.

This has been discussed before. The so-called fat-burning zone is bull****.
You'll burn more calories by working harder for longer and it's as simple as
that.

See
http://groups.google.com.au/groups?h...D100%26hl%3Den

Is this more beneficial if I work harder, or is it dangerous, what
should I do to acheive good weight loss ?

Eat less. Exercise more. Repeat.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old January 18th 14, 08:48 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Another Reason Why Kyle Leon's Customized Fat Loss Is Unique

The Customized Fat Loss Program is not designed to leave you high and dry struggling to figure out what to do next on your own and is the exact opposite of most "cookie cutter" diets.

Instead, you're armed with all the knowledge and tools necessary to obtain the body you are looking for.

You'll receive "done for you" meal plans for every day of your 9 week program along with the ability to substitute in your favorite foods that will meet your custom nutritional guidelines for faster fat loss.

Kyle's approach also strategically customizes your training and supplementation (optional) regimen for faster results.

Also, to ensure maximal results of his program, Kyle includes a free series of HD video coaching lessons for all of his customers full of advanced tips, tricks and advice to help you lose fat quickly, safely and naturally.

Learn more about Kyle Leon's revolutionary fat loss system http://tinyurl.com/ot8ch6c

weight loss paul UK 41 December 27th 12 05:55 PM
Calorie Estimates.... LaoFuZhi UK 59 July 26th 04 07:17 PM
Hydration and weight loss rates Chris Racing 30 March 18th 04 05:10 PM
Weight Loss & Cycling - Help!! The Oracle UK 35 August 25th 03 07:06 PM