Helmets - mean time betweef failures

Old January 4th 06, 01:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Helmets - mean time betweef failures

Andrew Price wrote:

Recommendations for one with significantly longer life span?

I had just got fond of it too, sort of like an old sweater with holes
in it that you don't want to give up.

I bought my Bell in 1986, wore it every day for ten years, less regularly
since then. I see no need to replace it.

Theo

Old January 4th 06, 01:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Tamyka Bell Wrote:

Even though I'm far more competent at road riding than mountain
biking,
I consider mountain biking safer. The primary threat to my safety is
my
own lack of skill.

Let's just say that I'm a hell of a lot more competent as a commuter
than I am an off road cyclist. Three bimbles in the space of an hour,
one of which saw me (much to my surprise and delight) digging deep in
to my long dormant judo roll skills ;-)

--
EuanB

Old January 4th 06, 01:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Ah, well you have a choice in everything, just like we aren't supposed
to talk on mobiles while driving - but many do. Travelling down
brunswick st how many people do you see with the helmet on the
handlebars. Again your choice

It's not that I think we should all wear our helmets and need to swap
them over regardless every two years.
But in answer to the original poster, the lifetime of a helmet is quite
defined and lessened by exposure to UV, and body oils and hair
products.
I was trying to point out that the is quite likely no way to guarantee
the working life of a helmet and in fact the actual use will accelerate
the wear.
An old sweater may be comfy, but a five year old helmet most likely
will not provide the full impact absorbtion of a new helmet, that's my
point

Old January 4th 06, 02:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Rayc Wrote:

It's not that I think we should all wear our helmets and need to swap
them over regardless every two years.
... the lifetime of a helmet is *quite defined * and lessened by
exposure to UV, and body oils and hair products.

...but a five year old helmet *most likely
will not provide the full impact absorbtion of a new helmet*, that's
my
point

I can understand these things may be possible, but where's the evidence
of this? When I ring to try to get my helmet repaired, I get the
"replace every 3 years" line. This sounds like the bike shop trying to
sell more helmets to me.

I'd be interested to see the evidence on the deterioration models.

Still, I'll be buying a new one soon enough...

Dee Bub

--
Dee Dub

Old January 4th 06, 02:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle

If your Betamax recorder still works then who am I to argue.

Old January 4th 06, 02:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Dee Dub Wrote:
I can understand these things may be possible, but where's the evidence
of this? When I ring to try to get my helmet repaired, I get the
"replace every 3 years" line. This sounds like the bike shop trying to
sell more helmets to me.

I'd be interested to see the evidence on the deterioration models.

A quick google popped up this:
http://www.gcrio.org/UNEP1998/UNEP98p62.html

--
EuanB

Old January 4th 06, 02:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Theo Bekkers wrote:
Andrew Price wrote:

Recommendations for one with significantly longer life span?

I had just got fond of it too, sort of like an old sweater with holes
in it that you don't want to give up.

I bought my Bell in 1986, wore it every day for ten years, less regularly
since then. I see no need to replace it.

Theo

I thought the only reason you replace old helmets is the embarassment
factor.

DaveB
Old January 4th 06, 02:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Rayc wrote:
If your Betamax recorder still works then who am I to argue.

I was never stupid enough to buy one.

Theo

Old January 4th 06, 02:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Rayc wrote:

But in answer to the original poster, the lifetime of a helmet is
quite defined and lessened by exposure to UV, and body oils and hair
products.
I was trying to point out that the is quite likely no way to guarantee
the working life of a helmet and in fact the actual use will
accelerate the wear.
An old sweater may be comfy, but a five year old helmet most likely
will not provide the full impact absorbtion of a new helmet, that's my
point

See Zebee's post.

Theo

Old January 4th 06, 02:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle

EuanB Wrote:
A quick google popped up this:
http://www.gcrio.org/UNEP1998/UNEP98p62.html

Thanks for adding this piece to my jigsaw. EuanB

And as for betamax comments - I'm not looking for an arguement. (Rayc)

Dee Dub

--
Dee Dub