Buying a new MTB

Old August 15th 06, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.off-road,rec.bicycles.misc
Auz

Default Buying a new MTB

Hi,

I'm shopping for a new MTB. I will be putting road tyres on it and
using it to commute the 7 miles each way to work each day. Then
swapping the tyres over and getting muddy at the weekends. I'm looking
to spend in the region of £400.

I'm just waiting on Evans to get me a Q800 in at the moment, so I can
have a look at the weekend.

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=60947

Any good / bad points anyone knows. Would I be better off with
something else?

All advise greatfully recieved

cheers guys

Old August 15th 06, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.off-road,rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Clinch

Auz wrote:

I'm shopping for a new MTB. I will be putting road tyres on it and
using it to commute the 7 miles each way to work each day. Then
swapping the tyres over and getting muddy at the weekends.

That will get /very/ boring very quickly, I suspect. I'd suggest
budgeting for a replacement wheel set rather than just tyres (you could
put a closer spaced block on the road wheel too).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old August 15th 06, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.off-road,rec.bicycles.misc
Auz

Peter Clinch wrote:

That will get /very/ boring very quickly, I suspect. I'd suggest
budgeting for a replacement wheel set rather than just tyres (you could
put a closer spaced block on the road wheel too).

Bloody good thinking. Cheers pete. I already have the tyres, a new
cassette - £35? wheels? what should I get for road use?

Old August 15th 06, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.off-road,rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

Peter Clinch wrote:
Auz wrote:

I'm shopping for a new MTB. I will be putting road tyres on it and
using it to commute the 7 miles each way to work each day. Then
swapping the tyres over and getting muddy at the weekends.

That will get /very/ boring very quickly, I suspect. I'd suggest
budgeting for a replacement wheel set rather than just tyres (you could
put a closer spaced block on the road wheel too).

Very much agreed. You'll want to run V-brakes or cantis if you do this,
as swapping wheels with disc rotors that will invariably not line up is
just as annoying as a tire swap. If you look around, a spare set isn't
expensive. Over here stateside, I've seen several nearly new 26"
wheelsets with street rubber being flogged for $50 on Craigslist
recently.

Alternately, and probably smarter, if you're locking outside, piece
together something more appropriate for commuting, that's also
hellaciously ugly and theft resistant.

Old August 15th 06, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.off-road,rec.bicycles.misc

Very much agreed. You'll want to run V-brakes or cantis if you do this,
as swapping wheels with disc rotors that will invariably not line up is
just as annoying as a tire swap.

Don't forget...if you do decide to buy an extra set of wheels (and you
have V-brakes), make sure both sets of rims have the same (or similar)
width.

If the width is identical on all your rims, then you shouldn't require
any adjustment of the V-brakes. If the widths are slightly different,
you should be able to use the barrel adjuster on the brake lever to
compensate without messing with your brake setup.

I am in the unfortunate situation where my rim widths are not equal.
In addition to the barrel adjuster on the brake lever, I have installed
in-line adjusters at the V-brake noodle. The extra adjustment allows
me to set a quick brake response (i.e. pads as close to rim as
possible) without having to tool around with the brakes.

HTH,
Dave

Old August 17th 06, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.off-road,rec.bicycles.misc
Paul

You really need to get two bikes. Changing tires or wheelsets for
different riding conditions will get to be such a pain in the ass that
you will find it convenient to choose not to ride.

A cheap road bike in today's world will be reiliable and fast, better
than the best racing bike of 20 years ago. Then you can justify buying
the off-road bike you really want.

Old August 17th 06, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.off-road,rec.bicycles.misc
David Martin

Paul wrote:
You really need to get two bikes. Changing tires or wheelsets for
different riding conditions will get to be such a pain in the ass that
you will find it convenient to choose not to ride.

Just fit it with road tyres. That will cope with all but the worst
mud/gravel/wet grass.

Then you'll only be bothered to change wheels if you are going off
somewhere special anyhow.

A cheap road bike in today's world will be reiliable and fast, better
than the best racing bike of 20 years ago. Then you can justify buying
the off-road bike you really want.

Absolutely. For 300 quid you can get something that is very reasonable
indeed.

..d

Old August 18th 06, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bryan

David Martin Wrote:
Paul wrote:
You really need to get two bikes. Changing tires or wheelsets for
different riding conditions will get to be such a pain in the ass

that
you will find it convenient to choose not to ride.

Just fit it with road tyres. That will cope with all but the worst
mud/gravel/wet grass.

Then you'll only be bothered to change wheels if you are going off
somewhere special anyhow.

A cheap road bike in today's world will be reiliable and fast,

better
than the best racing bike of 20 years ago. Then you can justify

buying
the off-road bike you really want.

Absolutely. For 300 quid you can get something that is very reasonable
indeed.

..d

--
rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help
solving

On the bike recommendations, the Claud Butler Cape Wrath gets some rave
reviews and comes with some good quality kit.

On the subject of changeing tyres, it really depends on the tyres you
have. If they are easy to change (some tyre/rim combinations can be a
real pig) then it really isn't that much of a hassle. I regulalrly
change tyres on my mtb depending on whether it has slicks on or not,
and also on what the conditions have been like and where I'm going. I
reckon I can change both tyres in 10 minutes. Having a spare set of
whees is of course better, but if you want the cheaper oprion then
swapping tyres IMHO is perfectly accesptable.

Bryan

--
Bryan

Old August 22nd 06, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.off-road,rec.bicycles.misc
Auz

Thanks for all your input Guys.

I bought the Felt Q800 (very pleased!) yesterday, and will deal with
swapping the tyres over for the time being while I decide whether to
a)buy a second set of wheels or b)buy a road bike in a couple of months
(funds permitting).

I think it's going to be the road bike. Probably a tourer, so I can
carry change of clothes / lunch etc. to work. Looked at a Dawes while I
was standing around for nearly an hour in Evans (they forgot to build
my bike!!!) The Galaxy - twice the price of a suggested road bike. I'll
investigate further.

Thanks again

Old August 22nd 06, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.off-road,rec.bicycles.misc
Rob Morley

In article om
Auz wrote:
Thanks for all your input Guys.

I bought the Felt Q800 (very pleased!) yesterday, and will deal with
swapping the tyres over for the time being while I decide whether to
a)buy a second set of wheels or b)buy a road bike in a couple of months
(funds permitting).

I think it's going to be the road bike. Probably a tourer, so I can
carry change of clothes / lunch etc. to work.

You don't need a tourer to do that - any sports bike can be fitted with
a beam rack to carry a large rack pack or small panniers, or you can get
quite a lot in a good old-fashioned saddlebag (the Carradice sort, not a
wedge pack).

Buying a bike, what would you do? Chris Eilbeck UK 13 January 24th 06 09:02 PM
Buying a bike unseen Dukester General 26 July 27th 05 01:20 PM
general buying advice please David UK 9 June 25th 04 09:57 PM
Buying in Germany GreyFx2 Recumbent Biking 2 March 22nd 04 09:51 AM
Buying mail order from Italy Me UK 15 December 7th 03 08:41 PM