Fuji - opinions solicted

Old August 15th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

Default Fuji - opinions solicted

Todd Tannenbaum wrote:
Curious to hear what folks in Usenet think of Fuji bikes, esp
their offerings from the past few years.

I am looking at performance hybrids for daily commute + weekend
road ride fun (20-40 miles typical), and Fuji seems to give much
more bang for the buck than Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, etc.
Wondering if Fuji is a good value or if there is something "to
good to be true" going on.

Fuji spends far less on advertising than the others. Frames are made in
Taiwan like most everything else. If it feels nice and the spec is
right, get it. Look into getting some trekking bars as well, as 20-40
miles in misery with just one hand position.

Old August 16th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Todd Tannenbaum

Curious to hear what folks in Usenet think of Fuji bikes, esp
their offerings from the past few years.

I am looking at performance hybrids for daily commute + weekend
road ride fun (20-40 miles typical), and Fuji seems to give much
more bang for the buck than Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, etc.
Wondering if Fuji is a good value or if there is something "to
good to be true" going on.

Specific models I have been checkinq out are Fuji Silhouette,
Specialized Sirrus, Trek 7.x, etc. All seemed like nice bikes,
just Fuji was lighter on the wallet - a LBS is sellinq new '05
Fuji Silhouettes for $499.

Would love to hear from someone who has owned a Fuji Silhouette
for a year or two...

Thanks mucho
Todd

--
Remove NO SPAM to reply via email
Old August 16th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

landotter wrote:
Todd Tannenbaum wrote:
Curious to hear what folks in Usenet think of Fuji bikes, esp
their offerings from the past few years.

I just picked up a 2004 Fuji Finest in new condition. It's a
Sora-equipped (8-speed drivetrain) chromoly road bike. I had intended
it for use as a backup training ride (inclement weather or mechanical
failure/maintenance on my racing bike).

I have to say, coming from a $3k bike down to a $500 bike isn't as bad
as I would have thought. It does exhibit more flex than my carbon bike
(particularly the fork). I haven't used it for racing, only some
slow-paced training rides. It isn't as nice as my wife's Giant OCR3
(similar componentry, but with a carbon fork and aluminum frame). That
bike cost around $800 (and was well worth the money).

Of course, my wife thinks that it looks 'old'. I suppose it would,
given the "undersized" frame tubing and the bologna fork. Compared to
my CF racing bike, I admit that it looks a bit pedestrian. However, it
feels solidly built, isn't too heavy, and is much more stable on the
road than my other bike.

As far as hybrids go, I can't recommend for or against, as I have never
used one. Personally, I would get a MTB and some semi-slicks, if only
for the added versatility that a MTB provides.

Old August 23rd 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Todd Tannenbaum

Previously landotter wrote:

Todd Tannenbaum wrote:
Curious to hear what folks in Usenet think of Fuji bikes, esp
their offerings from the past few years.

I am looking at performance hybrids for daily commute +

weekend
road ride fun (20-40 miles typical), and Fuji seems to give

much
more bang for the buck than Specialized, Trek, Cannondale,

etc.
Wondering if Fuji is a good value or if there is something

good to be true" going on.

Fuji spends far less on advertising than the others. Frames are

made in
Taiwan like most everything else. If it feels nice and the spec

is
right, get it. Look into getting some trekking bars as well, as

20-40
miles in misery with just one hand position.

Thanks for the feedback. I bought the Fuji in the end, so far so
good. And yes, I stuck bar ends on.

Thanks,
Todd

--