Quality feedback on these bikes

Old May 15th 07, 02:25 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
stratrider

Default Quality feedback on these bikes

On May 14, 11:55 am, duh wrote:
I'm going to be looking at a RANS Rocket, Bacchetta Cafe, Baccheta Giro
20 or 26, and an Easy Racer Javelin.

I have been commuting on a 99 RANS Stratus and now on a 2003 Baccetta
Strada since the summer of 1999. I did a loaded tour through the
Finger Lakes of NY on my Stratus 3 years ago. You could commute and/
or tour on any of these bikes if properly set up. Personally, I would
go with an EasyRacers TE before the Javelin. The TE is a time tested,
proven touring machine. Between the Giro 20 and 26, I like a lower BB
bike for touring so I would go with Giro 20. As for the Cafe, I
would lean towards the Giro. In my opinion the Cafe is not
Bacchetta's finest bike. This is a bike that rounds out their line
up. I continue to be a fans of RANS. They build great bikes. The
Rocket is time tested, well built with a triangulated frame, and uses
dual 20 inch tires, which limits the need to carry two different size
tubes and tires with you on a tour. Plus it's got a great price tag!
Ride the TE, Giro 20 (and 26 if you like), and the Rocket. You WILL
have a preference after you ride each. Finally, before you buy,
consider whether you intend to use packs (panniers) or a trailer.
That may also influence you final decision.

Good Luck.
Jim

Old May 15th 07, 03:01 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
duh[_2_]

stratrider wrote:
On May 14, 11:55 am, duh wrote:
I'm going to be looking at a RANS Rocket, Bacchetta Cafe, Baccheta Giro
20 or 26, and an Easy Racer Javelin.

Finally, before you buy,
consider whether you intend to use packs (panniers) or a trailer.
That may also influence you final decision.

Thanks for all the input. Everyone. My uninformed, inexperienced
preference would be for panniers. However, I'm open to feedback on the
plus and minus of each route, and which bikes lend themselves to each route.
Old May 15th 07, 03:22 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
duh[_2_]

duh wrote:
stratrider wrote:
On May 14, 11:55 am, duh wrote:
I'm going to be looking at a RANS Rocket, Bacchetta Cafe, Baccheta Giro
20 or 26, and an Easy Racer Javelin.

Finally, before you buy,
consider whether you intend to use packs (panniers) or a trailer.
That may also influence you final decision.

Thanks for all the input. Everyone. My uninformed, inexperienced
preference would be for panniers. However, I'm open to feedback on the
plus and minus of each route, and which bikes lend themselves to each
route.

Ok, I did a quick study of the good and bad of single wheel trailers.
However, feedback on which bikes work best with a trailer would be
great. I see that then Rans Rocket does.
Old May 16th 07, 02:22 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
rocketman[_2_]

"duh" wrote in message
I'm going to be looking at a RANS Rocket, Bacchetta Cafe, Baccheta Giro 20
or 26, and an Easy Racer Javelin.

What are the quality/durability factors for these bikes? I will be mostly
commuting, but might want to do a little touring.

I bought a used 2000 RANS Rocket about 4 years ago, just to see if I'd like
it. I ended up selling my other fancy recumbents (M5 Lowracer and Ryan
Vanguard) and keeping the RANS Rocket. It's bombproof reliable, lots of
fun, small, quick, light, versatile, easy to haul, capable of fitting in a
car trunk (with tiller and wheels removed), etc. Just a great bike all
around. I recommend getting the fitted nylon briefcase that clips to the
back of the seat. It converts the Rocket into a perfect commuter bike.

I have test ridden a Bacchetta Giro, expecting to like it very much (and to
buy one); but I found it *very* twitchy (and the Rocket is pretty "sporty",
so I'm used to quick steering). Nice bike, though.

The Bacchetta Cafe looks like it could be a great bike. I have in the past
been tempted by the very similar Burley Koosah and Jett Creek bikes, which
have many fans. Burley bikes are very sure-footed and stable, and quite
comfortable to ride. I recommend that you test ride a Burley before making
your decision.

I guess which one you pick depends on what features you need/want. Flat-out
speed? Need to haul it up a narrow flight of stairs? Price/performance?
Maximum versatility? For me, the Rocket ended up doing everything well.
It's *not* a "sexy" bike (though I get plenty of attention from pretty girls
while riding it); but it doesn't give up much over the sleek-n-sexy (and
horribly expensive) recumbents.

Hope that helps.

Old May 16th 07, 02:27 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon[_2_]

"Roger Zoul" wrote
duh wrote:
:: I'm not really wanting to have my feet above my head while trying to
:: navigate traffic. This would be my first bent anyway.

My feet are below eye level by several inches on my Volae.

[...] However, a SWB is thought by many to better for commuting, though a
20/26 w/ low BB LWB is also thought to be good for that, too. Having your
feet closer to the ground is helpful in stop/go traffic,

This depends on rider comfort level/experience with the higher bottom
bracket. And maybe with seating position...

I ride with mirrors on all my recumbents, but the more upright seats
of the TourEasy and BikeE make looking over my shoulder before
changing lanes easier (e.g., when moving across multiple lanes to make
left turn).

and being able to move in/out/through tight spots easily is very
important, I think.

Hmmm. I prefer not to be riding through "tight spots" when interfacing
with vehicles (stop and go, commuting, etc...) Any route designed
for motor vehicles shouldn't present "tight spot" problems for
bikes including LWB recumbents. What sort of these situations do
you regularly encounter when riding in traffic?

In my experience, there's not much difference in between low bottom
bracket and high, LWB and SWB, in terms of "in/out/through tight spots."
There might be some difference in smallest turning radius for short vs.
long, but heel strike can be an issue for tight low speed turns on many
SWB recumbents.

I do find my CLWB BikeE somewhat better at low speed, tight quarters
handling than either my LWB TourEasy (406/622) or my SWB Volae
(571/571). I attribute this mainly to the BikeE's steering responsiveness
and higher center of gravity.

Jon Meinecke

Old May 16th 07, 04:18 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
gotbent[_2_]

Fenders (mudguards), did anyone mention fenders (mudguards). If you commute,
or ride bike trails covered with goose ****, you will need fenders
(turdguards).

Carry on.

"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 14, 10:55 am, duh wrote:
I'm going to be looking at a RANS Rocket, Bacchetta Cafe, Baccheta Giro
20 or 26, and an Easy Racer Javelin.

What are the quality/durability factors for these bikes? I will be
mostly commuting, but might want to do a little touring.

The RANS Rocket was a very good all-around bike when introduced a
decade ago, and has been improved and refined since.

The only necessary change for touring would be smaller chainrings
unless the route is very flat or the rider very strong. The under-seat
pannier rack is mandatory, unless the rider is "credit card touring"
with very light loads.

Old May 16th 07, 04:26 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Roger Zoul

Jon wrote:
:: "Roger Zoul" wrote
::: duh wrote:
::::: I'm not really wanting to have my feet above my head while trying
::::: to navigate traffic. This would be my first bent anyway.
::
:: My feet are below eye level by several inches on my Volae.
::
::: [...] However, a SWB is thought by many to better for commuting,
::: though a 20/26 w/ low BB LWB is also thought to be good for that,
::: too. Having your feet closer to the ground is helpful in stop/go
::: traffic,
::
:: This depends on rider comfort level/experience with the higher bottom
:: bracket. And maybe with seating position...

The OP is a newbie to recumbents. Also, I think having your feet closer to
the ground is helpful period, but that doesn't mean that you can't be
comfortable & proficient on a bike with a higher BB.

::
:: I ride with mirrors on all my recumbents, but the more upright seats
:: of the TourEasy and BikeE make looking over my shoulder before
:: changing lanes easier (e.g., when moving across multiple lanes to
:: make left turn).
::
::: and being able to move in/out/through tight spots easily is very
::: important, I think.
::
:: Hmmm. I prefer not to be riding through "tight spots" when
:: interfacing with vehicles (stop and go, commuting, etc...) Any
:: route designed
:: for motor vehicles shouldn't present "tight spot" problems for
:: bikes including LWB recumbents. What sort of these situations do
:: you regularly encounter when riding in traffic?

Tight spots don't have to be in traffic...you could be riding to the store
and want to do some cut throughs in a parking lot, while on the way home
from work. You could be forced to ride around something in the road that you
encounter suddenly. Many situations can arise that aren't routine.
Sometimes simply being "nimble" is good.

::
:: In my experience, there's not much difference in between low bottom
:: bracket and high, LWB and SWB, in terms of "in/out/through tight
:: spots." There might be some difference in smallest turning radius
:: for short vs. long, but heel strike can be an issue for tight low
:: speed turns on many SWB recumbents.

I find it really hard to do a U turn on most two-lane roads I ride on on my
LWB. It's usually easier to simply stop on the other side, get off, and turn
the bike around. Maybe it's a skill issue, though.

::

Old May 17th 07, 04:59 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

On May 16, 8:22 am, "rocketman" wrote:
"duh" wrote in message

[...]

I would expect the Giro to be less twitchy if the "C" bars were
replaced with "T" bars that had more tiller. The handling of the
Rocket can be changed by simply adjusting the tilt (and therefore
tiller) of the Flip-It riser.

The Bacchetta Cafe looks like it could be a great bike. I have in the past
been tempted by the very similar Burley Koosah and Jett Creek bikes, which
have many fans. Burley bikes are very sure-footed and stable, and quite
comfortable to ride. I recommend that you test ride a Burley before making
your decision.

I guess which one you pick depends on what features you need/want. Flat-out
speed? Need to haul it up a narrow flight of stairs? Price/performance?
Maximum versatility? For me, the Rocket ended up doing everything well.
It's *not* a "sexy" bike (though I get plenty of attention from pretty girls
while riding it);...

Not my experience in that locale - although I did almost spear a semi-
brain dead girl that ran out into the street while I was coming down
the hill on 4th Street towards Green (northbound). An air horn is an
excellent option.

Another semi-brain dead girl asked me if I was paraplegic while riding
my Rocket. DUH!

Old May 17th 07, 05:10 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

On May 16, 10:18 am, "gotbent" wrote:
Fenders (mudguards), did anyone mention fenders (mudguards). If you commute,
or ride bike trails covered with goose ****, you will need fenders
(turdguards)....

The geese do like the grassy area by Funway.

RANS sells fenders for the Rocket. I cut off the front one about 6
inches in front of the fork and took off the front set of fender
struts after catching the struts with the pedals a couple of times
during low speed turns (and one related crash at Meadowbrook Park).
The fender is still long enough to keep water (and goose poop) from
spraying onto the BB/crank area.

Old May 18th 07, 06:21 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
rocketman[_2_]

"duh" wrote in message

[...]

Yikes! That intersection is pretty busy these days. The
cell-phone-addicted students walk right into the street, oblivious to the
"Don't Walk" sign, never once even glancing at traffic. It's like they have
a death wish. It has gotten much worse in recent years.

Another semi-brain dead girl asked me if I was paraplegic while riding
my Rocket. DUH!

ROFL! You probably remember, though, that in this town, drivers are
frequently treated to the sight of packs of wheelchair racers (who look like
they're riding lowracer delta trikes with no pedals). There are also
several non-racing handtrikes in town. But I know exactly what you mean.

quality question on road bikes [email protected] Racing 7 May 6th 06 05:09 PM
ATB feedback Euan Australia 2 October 30th 05 10:10 PM
LBS feedback AC Australia 25 March 22nd 05 10:52 PM
LBS feedback AC Australia 0 March 20th 05 09:47 PM
feedback please blujay.com Marketplace 6 January 4th 05 05:15 AM