Cycle Registration

Old February 7th 08, 09:13 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Jack Russell

Default Cycle Registration

Apparently loony NSW MP Pat Farmer is proposing cyclists pay
registration . I would be only too happy if that meant governments would
flood us with money as they do motorists whose rego is only a tiny
fraction of what is spent!
--
Remove norubbish to reply
Old February 7th 08, 09:21 PM posted to aus.bicycle
ray

Jack Russell wrote:
Apparently loony NSW MP Pat Farmer is proposing cyclists pay
registration . I would be only too happy if that meant governments would
flood us with money as they do motorists whose rego is only a tiny
fraction of what is spent!

So was a letter in the local paper (Melb) this week. Double dipping.
I've been a licenced driver for over 25 years, and granted, my car f---s
up the environment and the roads. By comparison my bike is vastly less
destructive. I would happily pay bike registration if appropriate
facilities were then provided. Which they aren't.
And where do you draw the line? Do 7 year olds have to pay rego too?
This type of debate degenerates rapidly into farce.
Cheers,
Ray
Old February 8th 08, 12:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_603_]

ray Wrote:

This type of debate degenerates rapidly into farce.Repetitiously.

Here's linkies to todays article: SHM: Cyclists should pay, says MP
http://tinyurl.com/2h58kn

Poll: Should cyclists pay registration fees?
http://www.smh.com.au/polls/national/form.html

As suggested elsewhere - if you disagree with Pat Farmer, instead of
dismissing him, step up to the discussion and engage. Draft reasons to
why cyclist rego is not a suitable option to pursue. Ensure that your
correspondence is friendly, polite and informative. Instead contacting
the media, take a more direct tact and send it to his electorate office.

Otherwise we're taking the risk of becoming inadvertently complicit
in ensuring than our elected representatives and the public remain
misinformed about their fellow road users.

--
cfsmtb

Old February 8th 08, 01:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Duncan

On Feb 8, 7:21 am, ray wrote:
Jack Russell wrote:
.. Double dipping ..
I've been a licenced driver for over 25 years,...

Registration is per vehicle, not per driver.

I don't understand Pat's logic http://tinyurl.com/2h58kn

quote:
"Mr Farmer said motorists often complained it was unfair for cyclists
to use roads without paying registration costs. A bicycle levy would
make such an argument redundant and could increase government funding
for bike lanes, he said."

So what he's saying is that if we pay money to GovCo to provide
facilities[1], our rights to be on the road will be legitemised.. of
course we won't be allowed to use the roads any more, because there'll
be 'facilities', which by law, we're supposed to use 'if practicable'.

[1] - cough, splutter. We all know that the money gathered will be
less than the cost to implement the system, anyway, so all it will do
is employ more public servants.

duncan

Old February 8th 08, 02:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Keogh

I can handle Pat Farmer being clueless on this, but it is harder to
handle when the CEO of Bicycle NSW is quoted in support!!!!

My letter to Alex Unwin:

Alex,

The online version of the SMH on the subject of registration for
bicycles
(http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...234066487.html)
says:

Bicycle NSW said it supported initiatives that seek to legitimise
cycling. "A form of bike registration or levy may help achieve this,"
said its chief executive, Alex Unwin.

Surely this is a misquote. It goes directly against Bicycle NSW's
purpose - More people cycling more often. I can't believe that you would
have made an off-the-cuff statement like this in direct contravention
with the wishes and aspirations of members.

So I am writing to let you know about it so that Bicycle NSW can issue a
press release and you can write to the SMH requiring a retraction.

Regards,
Patrick Keogh
Old February 8th 08, 02:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Feb 8, 9:05 am, cfsmtb cfsmtb.34f...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:

As suggested elsewhere - if you disagree with Pat Farmer, instead of
dismissing him, step up to the discussion and engage.

I guess that rules out suggesting Pat Farmer registers for a brain
transplant, to enable him to understand elementary issues about
regulation? Heaven help us that such a nong has a seat in the
legislature, not to mention has been given a promoted position by a
mainstream political party ... when there are so many fine people
around.

Donga
Old February 8th 08, 02:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc[_3_]

Jack Russell wrote:
Apparently loony NSW MP Pat Farmer is proposing cyclists pay
registration .

No,no,no, you missed the subtlety in his PR releases. He wasn't
accutally proposing it, but suppossedly giving support to George Souris
(a NSW state MP) who has since denied that it is NSW Liberal Party policy.

Pat Farmer's current problem is that after qualifiying for his free
pension for life, he instantly deserted his electorate and is getting
quite a bit of stick over it. He desperately needs something to divert
attention from it. So what better than time honoured conservative
"divide the community" politics.

What really has me wondering is why supposedly pro-bicycle people are
actually giving publicity to this nitwit. Until it appeared in the local
paper, no knew anything about it.

And of course the idiots of BNSW have now applied the oxygen line to
give it maximum publicity.

I would be only too happy if that meant governments would
flood us with money as they do motorists whose rego is only a tiny
fraction of what is spent!

Please tell me that you are just an ignorant child who still believes in
Santa Claus, the Easter Bnny and The Tooth Fairy.
Old February 8th 08, 03:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc[_3_]

Duncan wrote:

I don't understand Pat's logic

No one does. Well, no one with a working brain cell does. The politiest
thing you can say about Pat Farmer is that his understanding of the
world is child-like. He record in the electorate is to "solve simple
problems" that cause adverse impact in the wider scheme.
Old February 8th 08, 03:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc[_3_]

cfsmtb wrote:

As suggested elsewhere - if you disagree with Pat Farmer, instead of
dismissing him, step up to the discussion and engage.

Lol, never argue with an idiot. They'll just bring you down to their
level and beat you with experience.

When ever this man is challenged over anything he says, he either backs
down, as in this case, or goes into faith rhetoric.
Old February 8th 08, 03:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc[_3_]

cfsmtb wrote:

Poll: Should cyclists pay registration fees?
http://www.smh.com.au/polls/national/form.html

Closed. 79% said "No, things are fine as they are"

NAUCC Registration Spencer Hochberg Unicycling 0 March 21st 07 02:42 AM
buc registration manic_mark Unicycling 3 May 2nd 06 12:26 AM
BUC Pre-registration joemarshall Unicycling 15 April 15th 06 06:15 PM
Cycle registration plates - soon to be a reality? Matt B UK 26 February 21st 06 06:16 PM
OUI 05 Registration karl Unicycling 8 May 28th 05 07:56 AM