Assuming it fits, best new or used road bike for $1000

Old July 4th 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Assuming it fits, best new or used road bike for $1000

It's hard to buy a bad bike these days but I think you just might pull
it off.

Why so snotty?

It probably wasn't the cross-posting as much as asking a question that comes
up repeatedly. That's not a crime in most circles, but, as someone else
pointed out, rec.bicycles.racing is *not* the place for doing so. It's a
flame-fest over there, with prizes going to top flame-thrower, and a regular
cast of characters with well-burned suits that people keep trying to finish
off but they just keep coming back for more.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old July 4th 08, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Ted van de Weteringe

Jay Pique schreef:
In retrospect, I wouldn't have
crossposted - I'd have posted the message individually to each of the
three groups.

That is definitely bad form. Crossposting to a limited set of groups
isn't, if it is clear or you make it clear that the message belongs in
all groups. And set and announce a follow-up group.

T.
-flup2 misc
Old July 5th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Bret

On Jul 4, 3:26*pm, Jay Pique wrote:
On Jul 4, 4:33*pm, wrote:

On Jul 4, 7:16*am, Jay Pique wrote:

On Jul 4, 2:18*am, Bret wrote:

It's hard to buy a bad bike these days but I think you just might pull
it off.

Why so snotty?

JP

Hey JP, are you familiar with the concept of scoring coups?
Native Americans used to do it to fur trappers...ride up, smack them
with a big stick and ride away, heap big man.
Lots of heap big men in RBR.
Kind of makes you want to beat them in a bike race, doesn't it?

Yeah! *I'm used to aggressive usenet environments, having spent a long
time over at rec.skiing.alpine. *I was just unclear as to what I had
done to provoke that type of response. *In retrospect, I wouldn't have
crossposted - I'd have posted the message individually to each of the
three groups.

JP

That was just my shorthand way of saying you were on the wrong track.
Definitely wasn't up to rec.skiing.alpine standards which is
unreadable. For your first road bike purchase you need to get some
expert advice, test rides and fitting help. Buying a used bike on the
internet based on the advice of the hacks around here is not going to
cut it.

Bret

Bret
Old July 5th 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Bret

On Jul 4, 2:33*pm, wrote:

Kind of makes you want to beat them in a bike race, doesn't it?

I think it's a serious mistake to race with a focus on beating any
individual. Try to win or improve your results overall and leave it at
that.

Bret

Old July 5th 08, 07:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Donald Munro

Bret wrote:
I think it's a serious mistake to race with a focus on beating any
individual. Try to win or improve your results overall and leave it at
that.

Or chase down the break of an individual you don't like.
Old July 5th 08, 07:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Donald Munro

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
It probably wasn't the cross-posting as much as asking a question that
comes up repeatedly. That's not a crime in most circles, but, as someone
else pointed out, rec.bicycles.racing is *not* the place for doing so.
It's a flame-fest over there, with prizes going to top flame-thrower, and
a regular cast of characters with well-burned suits that people keep
trying to finish off but they just keep coming back for more.

Luckily we don't use the deficient personal armour the Pentagon
put on their soldiers.

Follow the seagulls to get the sardines.

Assuming it fits, best new or used road bike for $1000 Jay Pique General 21 July 5th 08 07:17 AM
Assuming it fits, best new or used road bike for $1000 Jay Pique Racing 25 July 5th 08 07:17 AM
Best Road bike under $1000 (ideally $700)? Trevor Jakes General 37 December 22nd 05 10:09 PM
Road bike under $1000? Jeff General 10 July 20th 05 10:54 AM
FS Small Road Bike- Terry Prism, 17 ½ " , 45 cm frame, fits 4'8- 5'0 +/- GlenB Marketplace 0 February 1st 05 06:04 PM