Trek 2300 or Cannondale R1000 or other?

Old March 22nd 04, 02:31 AM
Roger W

Default Trek 2300 or Cannondale R1000 or other?

I'm at a loss. I can't decide between the Trek 2300 or Cannondale
R1000. I can get them both for around the same price(with the brakes
upgraded on the Cannondale).

About me.. I generally ride about 3000 mile/year, mostly in small
groups, by myself, or centuries. When I ride alone, I usually average
over 19mph, faster in groups. I have never raced, but I'm open to the
possibility. I'm a larger rider at 190 pounds. I'm presently riding a
22lb bike with Tiagra components.

My gut felling is that I like the feel and ride of the Cannondale, but
I'm a skeptical of the CAAD7 frames durability. This is a lot of
money to spend on a bike that could only last a couple years, or be
ruined if someone brings me down in a pace line. I really like the
Kyserium Elite wheelset.

I don't like the feel of the handlbars on the Trek, the hoods seem to
mount farther forward than is comfortable, but I suppose this is
adjustable. I found the 2300 a less inspiring ride than the
Cannondale... a nice bike, but it didn't stand out. However, you are
getting FULL Ultegra, carbon seat stays, and post, and what may be a
more durable frame, and a frame that is probably a little heavier
than the Cannondale.

I want a bike that will last me for years, at LEAST 5, if not longer.
On paper, at the same price, the Trek looks like the better bike, but
I still lean toward the Cannondale. If it weren't for the frame
durability question, I probably wouldn't be asking for advice.

Any thoughts? Or other bikes to add to my confusion....

Thanks....
Old March 22nd 04, 05:39 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Well, in my totally unbiased opinion (I sell TREK, including lots of 2300s,
but not Cannondale)-

You should check out an article on our website about what to look for when
test-riding road bikes, and how they should be set up. You might then
re-test them and make sure there were as few unaccounted-for variables (such
as tire pressure) as possible.

You can find this article at www.ChainReaction.com/roadbiketestrides.htm.

Regarding a couple of specifics though-

#1: The Bontrager Race-Lite wheelset on the 2300 has proven to be virtually
bomb-proof. It's also very light, and can use standard spokes if you ever
have a problem. The cassette mechanism has also been very durable. We sell
many hundreds of bikes a year with these wheels and have been very pleased.

#2: I'm not sure about the Cannondale warranty, but the TREK still has a
lifetime warranty on the frameset... and it's not built on the bleeding-edge
of what can be done (in other words, weird failures are extremely unlikely).

#3: Not sure what the scoop is on the lever position on the bars, but
that's adjustable and further, quite possibly has more to do with the length
of stem on the bike than anything else. Stem length is very easy to adjust.

#3b: The ability of a shop to properly fit the bike to you is a *very*
major issue! Even though I have a desire to believe you'll be happiest with
the 2300, if one bike was available from a really good dealer and the other
one from somebody who really didn't look like they were going to be there
for you if things weren't quite right, or didn't have a clue on how to fit
the bike to you... that could be a bigger issue than the differences between
the two bikes.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

om...

Old March 22nd 04, 12:07 PM
Peter Cole

"Roger W" wrote in message
om...
I'm at a loss. I can't decide between the Trek 2300 or Cannondale
R1000. I can get them both for around the same price(with the brakes
upgraded on the Cannondale).

..

My gut felling is that I like the feel and ride of the Cannondale, but
I'm a skeptical of the CAAD7 frames durability. This is a lot of
money to spend on a bike that could only last a couple years, or be
ruined if someone brings me down in a pace line.

Cannondales have a reputation for being extremely durable. There was a test of
frame fatigue strength, 9 frames out of 12 failed, Cannondale was among the 3
that didn't.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/E...tigue_test.htm

Old March 22nd 04, 02:50 PM
Pbwalther

So, you want a bike that will give you 15,000 miles and you are looking at the
Trek 2300 and Cannondale R1000.

OK, I don't know how long the CAAD 7 will hold up. But over the years, I have
put over 40,000 miles on 3 different Cannondale frames.

One did fail and it was noncatastrophic - just went clunk. It really was a
stupid thing too. On that frame the engineers did are really stupid thing.
They closed the rear triangle about 3 cm infront of the hub. The chain stay
projected back to the hub and it was flattened in that area (obviously making
it a bit weaker). To further weaken it they drilled a hole through the chain
stay (and for no apparant reason). Well the chain stay broke right through
that little hole. And I got a brand new frame for nothing at all. Since they
no longer made that frame, I got a much more advanced one.

So, if the past track record is any indication, Cannondale frames should hold
up for you. By the way, I am as heavy as you are and maybe a bit faster - so
my experience should be roughly comparable to yours.

If you have any concern, you might want to check Cannondale's current frame
warrenty.
Old March 22nd 04, 03:02 PM
curt

...I got a much more advanced one...

Not to be a pain in the arse, but frame have had little advancement over the
past many years. I bicycle is a bicycle pretty much, so the words "much
more" certainly wouldn't apply. The bicycle manufacturers would like you to
think that there has been tons of advancement each year, but in reality,
bicycles are the same now as they were 20 years ago. They may be less
durable however. I ride a 15+ year old bike that would stack up with most
anything out there today. It was expensive when I bought it and a little
heavier, but by very little.

I would go with the Trek, if those were my choices. I would probably not
buy either if I was going to spend the money and save and buy a higher end
bike.

Curt

Old March 22nd 04, 11:45 PM
T Scanlin

Wish I could be unbiased, but I can't be. I have a 2003 Trek 2300 that,
during the summer, I rode 125-150 miles a week. I've had zero problems with
the bike to date. However, for the price, I would expect exceptional
reliability. Then again, I've babied the bike to death. No rain rides, lots
of TLC.

I'm very impressed with the "wow" factor I've received on a boatload of club
rides, the standard "what a great looking bike" comments.

I can't recommend the Trek over the C-Dale but I don't think you'd be
disappointed in the 2300.

om...

Old March 23rd 04, 02:36 AM
waterboy420

Peter Cole wrote:
Cannondales have a reputation for being extremely durable. There was a
test of frame fatigue strength, 9 frames out of 12 failed, Cannondale
was among the 3 that didn't.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/E...fatigue_test.-
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/E...fatigue_test.- htm

I ride a CAAD5 frame C'Dale and weigh in at 190. I have been EXTREMEL
happy wth the ride. I have been happy with the bike and put 30-5
effortless miles on per day and many hours on the trainer since I hav
had it. I looked into the Trek lines and just didn't "feel the love
from the bike. It just didn't fit quite right

The Trek 2300 does offer the carbon seat stays, and I will say that
added a set of carb bars and a carbon seatpost to my ride to lighten th
load and absorb some shock. The component set on the C'Dale 100 is not
bad mix, and I did the same thing that you had suggested and picked up
nice pair of Dura Ace brakes

Either way I think you'll be happy. Just ride them both, and make th
sales guy at the LBS work for his $$$ and get both fit to your likin
before you take them out for a ride. If a bike is expected to last yo
5+ years, as most of mine have, then make sure you ride the bikes mor
than around the parking lot after getting a good fit

Good luck

-

Old March 23rd 04, 02:57 AM
Roger W

I'm still stuck... My gut instict is in favor of the C'dale, but the
same gut.. or maybe my brain.. tells me that the 2300 is better built
and more reliable.

I rode the 2300 again today, as well as a Lemond Titanium and Trek
5200. I REALLY liked the Trek 5200, but it's out of my price range. I
did not get a chance to try the Cannondale again, I'll try tomorrow.

As I said before, the Trek looks better on paper, I get the feeling
that it's a more durable frame. Trek lists it as Racing and Light
Touring, C'dale does NOT reccomend touring.. not that I'll do any
touring... and I swear with the C'dale that I can get some play by
just squeezing the top bar of the C'dale.

That being said, I loved the ride of the C'dale. While I really like
the Trek, It doesn't leave me with the excitment of purchase that the
C'dale does. Now, I did like the 5200... which has the same geometry
and components, just fiber vs Al. So maybe there is something up with
the way the bike was setup?
Old March 23rd 04, 03:44 AM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:02:43 GMT, "curt" wrote:
...I got a much more advanced one...

Not to be a pain in the arse, but frame have had little advancement over the
past many years. I bicycle is a bicycle pretty much, so the words "much

Nearly anything that doesn't fit this description:
They closed the rear triangle about 3 cm infront of the hub. The chain stay
projected back to the hub and it was flattened in that area (obviously making
it a bit weaker). To further weaken it they drilled a hole through the chain
stay (and for no apparant reason).

is almost definitely "advanced".
--
Rick Onanian
Old March 23rd 04, 05:44 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

I rode the 2300 again today, as well as a Lemond Titanium and Trek
5200. I REALLY liked the Trek 5200, but it's out of my price range. I
did not get a chance to try the Cannondale again, I'll try tomorrow.

As another poster pointed out, TREK has a new 5000 model, with the same
frame as the 5200, for about $2000. What makes it $500 cheaper than a 5200?

* Slightly-heavier wheels & less-expensive tires
* '105 front derailleur & brakes (instead of Ultegra)
* Less-expensive (but still carbon) seatpost
* Slightly-heavier imported fork

As I said before, the Trek looks better on paper, I get the feeling
that it's a more durable frame. Trek lists it as Racing and Light
Touring, C'dale does NOT reccomend touring.. not that I'll do any
touring... and I swear with the C'dale that I can get some play by
just squeezing the top bar of the C'dale.

Both bikes are probably suitable for "credit-card touring" but neither
should be used for fully-loaded touring (where you're carrying a tent &
sleeping bag). Other types of bikes would be far more appropriate for that.

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

om...