Wheel walking.

Old October 13th 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
WHampson

Default Wheel walking.

I'm working on two foot wheel walking and I'm holding onto a pole and
going around it, then when I start by just riding and then going into a
wheel walk I can get 4 or 5 pushes with my feet, the pole thing seems to
be working just fine but I was wondering if there was any faster or
better way to learn it.

--
WHampson
Old October 13th 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SaintUni

I just learned how in the last month and it really comes down to putting
in huge chunks of time. I found a wall to be more effective than a pole
simply because it is a more realistic approach to how actual wheel
walking happens. Something that also helped me was to start idling, and
try walking from there. Stop the wheel completely with your foot and
then move the other foot off the pedel and on the wheel.

The biggest mistake people make when wheel walking is to try and "kick"
the wheel too hard. Your steps on the wheel can be slow and should also
include your whole foot from toe to heel.

This is just how I learned. Don't know if this helps at all.

--
SaintUni
Old October 13th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joejumps4fun

I learned how to ww at a tennis court. I would hold onto the chain
fence or the tennis net. Hold onto something while you "walk" (not
kick) the wheel. Eventually, you should get use to that body position.
It took me a lot of time and practice to get good. Also, lean back (but
not too far)...if you find yourself dismounting forward, then your
weight was too far ahead of the wheel...but be careful not to
accidentally dismount backwards--you may land on your butt if you don't
catch the ground in time.

Another thing that helped me is to get between the two poles holding
the tennis nets up (in the middle of two courts), or find a doorway and
start with your feet already up on the wheel. Go for it and let
go...ride as far as you can. It's pretty much like learning how to
unicycle all over again! I'm doing the same thing as you but I'm working
at one foot wheel walking and gliding at the moment. It's challenging to
learn new uni skills, but so much fun at the same time (to see yourself
progress).

Good luck!

--
joejumps4fun

~*Joey*
www.geocities.com/jneigh4
www.youtube.com/jneigh
www.vimeo.com/jneigh
Old October 13th 08, 04:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Joseppi

I'd recommend not holding on to anything. If you can make 4 or 5 pushes
before falling, then you have a solid enough base to practice without
support. Like someone said above me, spending a huge chunk of time on
it at once will help you a lot. I spent over a year trying to learn in
small chunks of practice time; but after not getting much better, in the
end, I learned to ww after a 3-hour practice session (when my power went
out and I got determined). Even if you don't think you're making
progress, just try to stay positive; you ARE making progress. Just
don't get discouraged; stay at it!

--
Joseppi

'Team Freestyle' (http://silentaftermath.com/)

'Team Roadshow' (http://teamroadshow.com/)
Old October 13th 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hobo_chuck

1wheelwonder;1112169 wrote:
I heard that a 24'' wheel is easier, but I can't ww either.

Nah, I can go maybe a little faster and over bigger bumps on a 24", but
I can wheelwalk off bigger drops and with more control on a normal
trials/freestyle uni(steeper turns and straighter lines).

--
hobo_chuck
Old October 13th 08, 05:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
iAmVincent

I had to practice for two weeks, about an hour a day before I got decent
at it. It definitely isn't the easiest skill to learn.

--
iAmVincent

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity.
~Voltaire
Old November 23rd 08, 07:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
1wheelwonder

AAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH! I AM FED UP! I can't start wheel walking from
riding! I know I should lean back, but when I do that, I fall off
backwards!!!!

--
1wheelwonder

Originally Quoted by Chexjc
However, I'm not jealous of your unicycle, trust me.

Posted by Borgshulze
Wowzers, go go gadget sarcasm detector.
Old November 23rd 08, 09:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SHAY_CAM

1wheelwonder;1112169 wrote:
I heard that a 24'' wheel is easier, but I can't ww either.

Not at all.

--
SHAY_CAM

*UNICYCLE FOR _YOURSELF._ *
Old November 23rd 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SamGoodburn

Don't practise going down hill! Even in the slightest. I spent ages
practising on a slight down hill on my Road, spent hours, got no where.
Then when I tried doing it going UP the same hill, i was making progress
in no time.

--
SamGoodburn

very creative sig.
Old November 24th 08, 04:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jamin

To me, the thing that clicked was this.

When wheel walking, you're really just letting the wheel out, one foot
at a time.

When you lean back the wheel wants to travel forward.

So what you are doing is in fact, slowly letting the wheel out, with
control.

As with others that said, use your full foot, ie. keep contact on the
tire as much as possible. That is your control point for now.

Dont panic if the wheel is going faster, and you feel you have to move
your feet faster to gain control. Get that control back, push on to the
tire more and LET THE WHEEL OUT slowly.

Keep in mind, because you are going slower you will also need to focus
on balancing side to side with your arms. So practising slow riding will
help in this department. Also falling to one side can be prevented by
steering towards that direction, as per normal riding.

I initially started from a mount to wheel walking. But another way is
to ride SLOWLY, lift the top foot to the tire at the 12/6 o'clock
position and start from there. The important thing is recognising that
its slower than normal riding speed.

Then after wheel walking you can focus on getting your feet back on the
pedals.

--
Jamin

wheel walking help skroboskim Unicycling 0 April 23rd 06 02:05 AM
Wheel Walking Jerrick Unicycling 0 February 13th 06 01:44 AM
Help With Wheel Walking darkp0is3n Unicycling 13 May 9th 05 03:23 AM
wheel walking jgherr Unicycling 3 February 27th 05 08:30 AM
Wheel walking. juggle508 Unicycling 4 May 28th 04 01:33 AM