dunlop

Old October 6th 11, 12:45 PM posted to aus.bicycle
F Murtz[_2_]

Default dunlop

wots a Dunlop expedition? I found one. Is it a piece of junk.?
Old October 6th 11, 11:01 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick

On 6/10/2011 10:45 PM, F Murtz wrote:
Dunlop expedition

Most recent one sold on Ebay which looked in pretty good condition went
for around $60.

It is a low end steel MTB, hardly worthy of the name MTB. OK for riding
to the shops if you don't go too hard.
Old October 7th 11, 03:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle
F Murtz[_2_]

Patrick wrote:
On 6/10/2011 10:45 PM, F Murtz wrote:
Dunlop expedition

Most recent one sold on Ebay which looked in pretty good condition went
for around $60.

It is a low end steel MTB, hardly worthy of the name MTB. OK for riding
to the shops if you don't go too hard.

probably why it was thrown out, although it looks in good nick except
for rusty chain.
Old October 9th 11, 08:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Phil H[_2_]

On Oct 7, 1:17*pm, F Murtz wrote:

probably why it was thrown out, although it looks in good nick except
for rusty chain.

It could well have been thrown out *because* of the rusty chain. Given
the number of abandoned bikes chained to various objects around inner
Sydney, I can only surmise that mountain bikes are now so cheap that
they aren't worth anything once they get a bit ratty. Even thieves
don't want them.

After a few months, the scavengers come; they bust the lock and take
what's left. I'd like to think that they use the carcasses to build up
working bikes that they then sell for a pittance. Than again, it could
just be the council hauling them off to the tip.

-- Phil
Old October 9th 11, 11:31 PM posted to aus.bicycle
tomasso

Phil H wrote:
On Oct 7, 1:17 pm, F Murtz wrote:

probably why it was thrown out, although it looks in good nick except
for rusty chain.

It could well have been thrown out *because* of the rusty chain. Given
the number of abandoned bikes chained to various objects around inner
Sydney, I can only surmise that mountain bikes are now so cheap that
they aren't worth anything once they get a bit ratty. Even thieves
don't want them.

After a few months, the scavengers come; they bust the lock and take
what's left. I'd like to think that they use the carcasses to build up
working bikes that they then sell for a pittance. Than again, it could
just be the council hauling them off to the tip.

-- Phil

Council seems to be doing a bit of recycling down in Bay St. Probably a good thing.

T.
Old October 9th 11, 11:52 PM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

Phil H wrote:
Than again, it could
just be the council hauling them off to the tip.

Around here it is scrap metal collectors.
Old October 10th 11, 01:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
F Murtz[_2_]

Phil H wrote:
On Oct 7, 1:17 pm, F wrote:

probably why it was thrown out, although it looks in good nick except
for rusty chain.

It could well have been thrown out *because* of the rusty chain. Given
the number of abandoned bikes chained to various objects around inner
Sydney, I can only surmise that mountain bikes are now so cheap that
they aren't worth anything once they get a bit ratty. Even thieves
don't want them.

After a few months, the scavengers come; they bust the lock and take
what's left. I'd like to think that they use the carcasses to build up
working bikes that they then sell for a pittance. Than again, it could
just be the council hauling them off to the tip.

-- Phil

This was at the tip (dumped just before I arrived)I asked tip operator
if I could take it.
Old October 10th 11, 05:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Phil H[_2_]

On Oct 10, 9:31*am, "tomasso" wrote:

Council seems to be doing a bit of recycling down in Bay St. Probably a good thing.

Do they collect the wrecks off the street?

And what about that hideous purple bike chained to a tree in front of
the Lord Wolsley? It was there for months. I was surprised it lasted
as long as it did. (Mental note: nobody steals purple bikes.)

-- Phil
Old October 10th 11, 06:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
tomasso

Phil H wrote:
On Oct 10, 9:31 am, "tomasso" wrote:

Council seems to be doing a bit of recycling down in Bay St. Probably a good thing.

Do they collect the wrecks off the street?

And what about that hideous purple bike chained to a tree in front of
the Lord Wolsley? It was there for months. I was surprised it lasted
as long as it did. (Mental note: nobody steals purple bikes.)

No, they collect bikes from the dump, if cleant them up not too bad, and put
a sign on it with a phone number (and a modest price), chained to a light post
outside the Council Depot on Bay St. That's a form of recycling. Someone
probably makes a few bucks a week.

Don't know if council remove hideous orphan frames (like outside out local).

I can find out if it happens in the country. Brother works at one of the councils
(surveying and designing cycle paths - somewhat better than CBD, me thinks).

Cheers, T.

Old October 10th 11, 09:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

On 10/10/2011 9:52 AM, terryc wrote:
Phil H wrote:
Than again, it could
just be the council hauling them off to the tip.

Around here it is scrap metal collectors.

This was happening when the bi annual cleanup was on its since changed.
Scrappies came first for about 2 week prior pulled all the metal out
left a mess then council came to remove the remainder (only taking it if
correctly bundled.) There has been mess piles left which council will
not remove.

I tell the scrappies to either take the lot or leave it or I report them.