Commuting by bike not cost effective?

Old August 7th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_222_]

Default Commuting by bike not cost effective?

Tom Keats wrote:
I don't think pulling-over and stopping on the more
commercial stretches of Cambie St ever was that easy.
Drivers seem to prefer to access those businesses by
parking on the adjacent minor streets & avenues, even
long before construction of the Canada (RAV) Line began.
They might now have to walk a couple of extra blocks
to patronize their favourite business establishments.
It'll do 'em good....

Isn't this the only business on Cambie Street worth patronizing:
http://www.cambiecycles.com/?

Old August 7th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman" writes:
Tom Keats wrote:
I don't think pulling-over and stopping on the more
commercial stretches of Cambie St ever was that easy.
Drivers seem to prefer to access those businesses by
parking on the adjacent minor streets & avenues, even
long before construction of the Canada (RAV) Line began.
They might now have to walk a couple of extra blocks
to patronize their favourite business establishments.
It'll do 'em good....

Isn't this the only business on Cambie Street worth patronizing:
http://www.cambiecycles.com/?

It's one of 'em -- besides proffering recumbents in
both bike & trike configs (OSS & USS) and full-faired
velomobiles, they also sell trailer stuff. Especially
Chariot[tm] trailer stuff. They usually set up an
interesting exhibit out on their sidewalk/patio area.
They tolerate normal bikes, too.

If you want a $40 pizza (I don't,) there's
Flying Wedge Pizza.

If you want live flamenco, there's Kino's Cafe
(sometimes that place generates more noise than
the tunnel construction.)

Further upstream there's drool Omnitsky's Deli.
Paraphrasing from memory their sidewalk sign, it
says: "Montreal smoked meat: buy the sandwich, or
take it home by the pound."

And then there's the Park Cinema, where you can
sleep through boring, mouldering, human-interest
movies like Pride & Prejudice, amid an host of
little old ladies who don't approve of you[*].

cheers,
Tom
[*] "Make tea, not love"
-- Hell's Grannies / Monty Python

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old August 7th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_224_]

Tom Keats wrote:
I don't think pulling-over and stopping on the more
commercial stretches of Cambie St ever was that easy.
Drivers seem to prefer to access those businesses by
parking on the adjacent minor streets & avenues, even
long before construction of the Canada (RAV) Line began.
They might now have to walk a couple of extra blocks
to patronize their favourite business establishments.
It'll do 'em good....

Isn't this the only business on Cambie Street worth patronizing:
http://www.cambiecycles.com/?

It's one of 'em -- besides proffering recumbents in
both bike & trike configs (OSS & USS) and full-faired
velomobiles, they also sell trailer stuff. Especially
Chariot[tm] trailer stuff. They usually set up an
interesting exhibit out on their sidewalk/patio area.
They tolerate normal bikes, too.

You mean those odd "horse rider position" bikes?

If you want a $40 pizza (I don't,) there's
Flying Wedge Pizza.

Only if the pizza feeds 6-8 people with normal appetites.

If you want live flamenco, there's Kino's Cafe
(sometimes that place generates more noise than
the tunnel construction.)

I can not tolerate loud music [1], particularly the distortion produced
by electric guitar amps, PA speakers and whatever the hell is used to
make the sounds in hip-hop.

Further upstream there's drool Omnitsky's Deli.
Paraphrasing from memory their sidewalk sign, it
says: "Montreal smoked meat: buy the sandwich, or
take it home by the pound."

They set Montreal on fire to smoke meat? I know relations between the
English and French Canadians/Canadiens are bad, but this is going a bit
far!

And then there's the Park Cinema, where you can
sleep through boring, mouldering, human-interest
movies like Pride & Prejudice, amid an host of
little old ladies who don't approve of you[*].

No young hotties?

[1] Most honorable exception goes to the CSO - can we bring back Sir
Georg back from the dead so he can conduct Mahler 8 again? Please?

Old August 7th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman" writes:

Isn't this the only business on Cambie Street worth patronizing:
http://www.cambiecycles.com/?

It's one of 'em -- besides proffering recumbents in
both bike & trike configs (OSS & USS) and full-faired
velomobiles, they also sell trailer stuff. Especially
Chariot[tm] trailer stuff. They usually set up an
interesting exhibit out on their sidewalk/patio area.
They tolerate normal bikes, too.

You mean those odd "horse rider position" bikes?

Yeah, the ones that don't make you go "Unngh!" as you
hoist yer middle-aged weight up & out of 'em, as with
too-low patio lounge chairs, and making use of the
armrests :-)

I'll confess that as my years advance, when dismounting
from my normal bike, I have to lean it over more than I
used'ta, in order to clear my leg over the saddle.

cheers,
Tom