Cycling city shuns helmets.

Old May 7th 11, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default Cycling city shuns helmets.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Camb...e-28042011.htm

Seems to jibe with what I see in Kingston upon Hull - helmets are
"generally shunned" by our thousands of riders too, just like in the
comments in that piece. Like in NL and Denmark, it seems a long way
before they become the norm.

--
Simon Mason
Old May 7th 11, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Sat, 7 May 2011 10:20:02 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason
wrote:

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Camb...e-28042011.htm

Seems to jibe with what I see in Kingston upon Hull - helmets are
"generally shunned" by our thousands of riders too, just like in the
comments in that piece. Like in NL and Denmark, it seems a long way
before they become the norm.

Well done Simple : the only "evidence" of Cambridge helmet wearing in the
article was :

"That figure is certainly much lower in Cambridge "the UK’s cycle capital"
where helmets are generally shunned by our thousands of riders."

It was in the paper - it must be true.

Meanwhile - back in the real world:

More than a third of cyclists are wearing helmets - rising to 70% in London.

People from Hull not wearing helmets is a Darwin feature - that, or they can't
afford them.
--
Simon Mason - who cycles at 25mph in 20mph limits just because the limits do not apply to cyclists.
This includes exceeding the speed limit past three schools. A total disregard for the well-being of vulnerable road users.

Old May 8th 11, 12:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_4_]

On 07/05/2011 18:20, Simon Mason wrote:
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Camb...e-28042011.htm

Seems to jibe with what I see in Kingston upon Hull - helmets are
"generally shunned" by our thousands of riders too, just like in the
comments in that piece. Like in NL and Denmark, it seems a long way
before they become the norm.

But the inhabitants of Hull are well known for being thick.

“From hell, Hull and Halifax may the good Lord deliver us” (Thieves Litany).

Old May 8th 11, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Sun, 08 May 2011 00:31:03 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

But the inhabitants of Hull are well known for being thick.

It is a very great honour to be thicked by the Meds.

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.
Old May 8th 11, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Camb...on-the-bicycle...

Seems to jibe with what I see in Kingston upon Hull - helmets are
"generally shunned" by our thousands of riders too, just like in the
comments in that piece. Like in NL and Denmark, it seems a long way
before they become the norm.

But the inhabitants of Hull are well known for being thick.

“From hell, Hull and Halifax may the good Lord deliver us” (Thieves Litany).

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Pity I live between two country villages overlooking farmland then.
Anyway, my old mucker Philip Larkin, who I met on several occasions,
said that Hull was good for cycling.

--
Simon Maon
Old May 8th 11, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 08/05/2011 08:46, Simon Mason wrote:

The Medway wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Camb...on-the-bicycle...

Seems to jibe with what I see in Kingston upon Hull - helmets are
"generally shunned" by our thousands of riders too, just like in the
comments in that piece. Like in NL and Denmark, it seems a long way
before they become the norm.

But the inhabitants of Hull are well known for being thick.
“From hell, Hull and Halifax may the good Lord deliver us” (Thieves Litany).

Pity I live between two country villages overlooking farmland then.
Anyway, my old mucker Philip Larkin, who I met on several occasions,
said that Hull was good for cycling.

Someone you met "on several occasions" was one of your "muckers"?

You must be pitifully short of "muckers" if that sort of fleeting
acquaintance is what you class as friendship.

One starts to feel sorry for you.

On your basis and using your "logic", there are loads of celebs (in various
areas of public life) whom I could count as my bosom buddies. But I would and
could never be so pretentious.
Old May 8th 11, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

wrote:
On 07/05/2011 18:20, Simon Mason wrote:

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Camb...on-the-bicycle...

Seems to jibe with what I see in Kingston upon Hull - helmets are
"generally shunned" by our thousands of riders too, just like in the
comments in that piece. Like in NL and Denmark, it seems a long way
before they become the norm.

But the inhabitants of Hull are well known for being thick.

One wonders why the good people of Cambridge, who are not known for
being especially dim, nor poor either, decide to shun wearing plastic
cycle hats?
It will be interesting to see you come up with a reason for that
conundrum - if you can.
--
Simon Mason
Old May 8th 11, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

wrote:
On 07/05/2011 18:20, Simon Mason wrote:

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Camb...on-the-bicycle...

Seems to jibe with what I see in Kingston upon Hull - helmets are
"generally shunned" by our thousands of riders too, just like in the
comments in that piece. Like in NL and Denmark, it seems a long way
before they become the norm.

But the inhabitants of Hull are well known for being thick.

“From hell, Hull and Halifax may the good Lord deliver us” (Thieves Litany).

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Pity I live between two country villages overlooking farmland then.
Anyway, my old mucker Philip Larkin, who I met on several occasions,
said that Hull was good for cycling.

Yes of course you do - and you work in the "hamlet" known as Saltend.

Is hamlet synonymous with ****-hole?

Here's a nice view from the river:

http://hedonblog.files.wordpress.com...boat-wreck.jpg

What's your post code HU?

What does HU stand for?

Old May 8th 11, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_4_]

On 08/05/2011 11:20, Simon Mason wrote:
On May 8, 12:31 am, The Medway
wrote:
On 07/05/2011 18:20, Simon Mason wrote:

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Camb...on-the-bicycle...

Seems to jibe with what I see in Kingston upon Hull - helmets are
"generally shunned" by our thousands of riders too, just like in the
comments in that piece. Like in NL and Denmark, it seems a long way
before they become the norm.

But the inhabitants of Hull are well known for being thick.

One wonders why the good people of Cambridge, who are not known for
being especially dim, nor poor either, decide to shun wearing plastic
cycle hats?
It will be interesting to see you come up with a reason for that
conundrum - if you can.

Because Cambridge cyclists have their heads stuck up their arses - no
room for a helmet.

Old May 8th 11, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

The Medway wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:

[...]

There is of course one person who posts here who has a web page of "Famous
people I have met" - I think there are as many as three names on it.

--

"I have never said that I encourage my children to wear helmets. I would challenge judith
to find the place where I said I encourage my children to wear helmets." Guy Chapman

City Cycling Danny Colyer Unicycling 8 August 2nd 08 11:53 PM
City Cycling down? Danny Colyer UK 3 July 16th 07 09:12 PM
City Cycling 24 David Martin UK 0 May 5th 07 01:49 PM
Cycling In the City Gooserider General 2 November 30th 04 10:57 AM
Nr 3 cycling city. Simon Mason UK 8 February 27th 04 03:52 PM