Universal Laws of trailriding

Old May 15th 05, 05:43 PM
phil

Default Universal Laws of trailriding

1. If you are doing a route you've never ridden before, you'll do it the
wrong way round... down all the smooth, gentle fire roads and up the
swoopy, bumpy singletrack.

2. If you are riding doubletrack it's always the other track which is
smoother. If you try to swap over you'll either crash going over the
middle or the smooth side will swap over too...

The rules seem pretty consistent at my recently discovered new Red Bull
training spot; I've been doing a few rides in the woodland around
Alfred's Tower, in Wiltshire, 'here' (http://tinyurl.com/8qaza). It's a
fairly small patch at the south end of a long ridge but offers loads of
tracks perfect for zooming around on the 29er. The car park is on the
top of the hill by the tower; a number of smaller ridges split off
southwards so you can cruise along the flat tops or set your legs on
fire descending into or climbing out of the valleys. It's a compact kind
of a place that you can explore for ages, get utterly lost and
disorientated, but never be more than half an hour or so from the car
park. There was a chap on a bike zooming around the last time I was
there; we passed each other about four times in the two hours or so...

It's great on an evening; the sound of the tyre crunching over the
ground and even me noisily grunting up a hill doesn't seem to put off
the local wildlife so there's a regular assortment of badgers, foxes,
deer, rabbits and birds of prey around. Magical stuff.

Next weekend calls for a return for some night riding, methinks...

Phil

--
phil - ex-studenty type

Good, bad... I'm the guy with the Cattle Prod.
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

Old May 15th 05, 08:51 PM
munipsycho

I would add this item to the universal laws.

The first time you make it all the way to the top of a very difficult
hill, one you've tried to climb unsuccessfully dozens of times, if you
throw your arms in the air and shout "YES!" when you finally make it to
the top, you will hit a tiny pebble and UPD.

--
munipsycho - CrashTestDummies are us.

=====================
'Victory belongs now to this small tree.'
(http://munipsycho.com/stories/a_little_tree.jsp)

'The UniSkills Assessment' (http://www.munipsycho.com/uniskills_2.jsp)

I can fly too. But I can only fly down.
-Little Bear

Imagine all the people
Riding on one wheel.
J. Lennon. (paraphrased)
munipsycho's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9589

Old May 15th 05, 08:54 PM
caw89

How true

--
caw89 - Cody

'Cody's Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Codys-Gallery)

'sixsixone' (http://sixsixone.com/)

AIM: unicaw89
caw89's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8228

Old May 15th 05, 09:07 PM
juggling_unicyclist_joe

been ther done that got the scars.

--
juggling_unicyclist_joe - trials rider

what ever it is, i just cant stop!

_\m/
juggling_unicyclist_joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9599

Old May 16th 05, 12:43 PM
mango

phil wrote:
*disorientated*

I think our friend 'phil' here is actually George Bush in disguise!!!

Quick 'phil' how do you say nuclear? (hint: New-Q-Ler)

Seriously though heres Universal Law number 4...

4. Theres always someone coming around the bend just as you do a
spectacularly spastic UPD.

Now off to the woods for me...

--
mango - unity - as 1 stand together

*I never post drunk but I always post stupid. *-harper
mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

Old May 16th 05, 02:39 PM
Loosemoose

5. When you stop for a breather, clearing a space on a nearby tree stump
to sit down for a second and getting your arse nice and damp, just after
you set off there's a clean dry bench just around the corner/over the
next hill.

--
Loosemoose

Dave: "I had a particularly bad UPD & found I'd lost a shoe"
Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326

Old May 16th 05, 08:09 PM
johnfoss

Wow, this is a great collection building up! I would call it Murphy's
Laws of Trail Riding. Most applies to bikes as well, and I wouldn't be
surprised to find a much longer bike version of these laws
somewhere...

6. If your cycle is going to break, it usually manages to do it just
after your turnaround point, when you're as far from the car as
possible.

With everyone's permission, I would like to submit this list for the
next issue of On One Wheel. Keep adding though; there's time for plenty
more!

--
johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old May 16th 05, 08:54 PM
UniBrier

7. The minute you take off to catch up with the ride leader, the slow
group finds some fantastic stunts and you miss watching the best line of
the day.

8. The chances of screwing up on a stunt or line is directly
proportional to the number of cameras present.

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek

Hop Drop & Roll

UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Old May 16th 05, 09:21 PM
Loosemoose

LOL @ 8, its so true...

9. The more painful the potential UPD is, the more likely it is to
happen. (The "You never fall on the soft stuff" Principle)

Old May 16th 05, 09:25 PM
forrestunifreak

10

The reason you cant make it up a particularly hard line,and everyone
else can,is their uni is better than yours in some way.

--
forrestunifreak - Mr. addict/team YAMS member

"You do not make the unicycle-the unicycle makes you."

~Y.C. tv

'torkerusa.com' (http://torkerusa.com)