Making America into Amsterdam

Old July 15th 18, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Making America into Amsterdam

On 7/14/2018 7:48 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/14/2018 3:06 AM, wrote:

Drinking beer during a road bike ride? Ridiculous, one of
Joerg's fantasies. Very few drink a beer afterwards.

It's vanishingly rare among the people I ride with.

There was one guy I knew well, but not as a cyclist. One day
he invited me to do a short (maybe 15 mile) ride with him,
the only one we ever did together.

To my surprise, at about 10 miles he stopped to go into a
bar. The barmaid said "Hi, Sam [not his real name], the
usual?" He said yes, and she served him a shot in a beer. As
he put it "I need to get my blood octane up for that hill on
the way home." After he finished that, he had another round.

He did make it up the hill, but I was waiting quite a long
time at the top. And years later, he was ticketed for drunk
driving. I understand he's officially an alcoholic now, and
his health has nosedived as a result. He's no longer able to
ride at all.

Once long ago in the dark ages these were passed around on
Sunday morning club rides:
http://www.skullshop.com/en/acrylic-...3eoge1u9e21op1

that moment passed.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 15th 18, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 07:48:21 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-07-14 22:03, sms wrote:
On 7/14/2018 7:53 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip

Fantasies? With two of my riding buddies there has hardly been a ride
where we didn't stop at a brew pub. The next ride will be on very
remote MTB turf and there won't even be a water spigot anywhere. So, I
am going to carry a pre-cooled stainless thermos with homemade IPA.
We'll probably be enjoying it here, like last time:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/SouthFork1.JPG

IPA travels remarkably well on the rack of an MTB. When I poured it
there was a good head on it and it was almost too cold so I had to
warm the cup with my hands.

Some of the Belgian groups in the 80's topped that. A few riders had a
demi-bouteille in the 2nd bottle holder. Du vin rouge, with a loose
cork in there. They let that circle once in a while. Drinking wine out
of a bottle may be bad style but it sure tasted good. Here in the US
they'd arrest you if a cop saw that.

Last year I went on a benefit ride, "Ride for Diabetes" and they served
beer at the end, and it was actually decent beer
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/3558/.

Once I saw a photo from a Paris-Brest-Paris race and a rider was coming
out of a pub, Belgian beer in hand, all smiles. Savoir vivre.

Right! Since 1931, 22,445 cyclists have completed the
Paris-Brest-Paris ride.and you have a photo of one of them with a
beer.

Proof positive that bicyclists are boozing it up on rides?
Old July 15th 18, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

On 2018-07-14 22:03, sms wrote:
[...]

Please, stopping at pubs is what a true cyclist does. You must also ride in cut-offs and a tee-shirt, even in sub-zero temperatures. Don't forget the panniers filled with rocks and nails for trail-side repairs . . . and rope. I was fixing a flat on the roadside yesterday and thought, "man, I could really use some rope right now. I should have listened to Joerg."

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 15th 18, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 4:52:50 PM UTC+2, Joerg wrote:

Fantasies? With two of my riding buddies there has hardly been a ride
where we didn't stop at a brew pub. The next ride will be on very remote
MTB turf and there won't even be a water spigot anywhere. So, I am going
to carry a pre-cooled stainless thermos with homemade IPA. We'll
probably be enjoying it here, like last time:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/SouthFork1.JPG

If I would asked 100 riders on a MTB or road bike today (it was a nice sunny day here; 28 C) what they carried in their water bottles 100 would have answered that there was no alcohol in it. So yes it is one of your fantasies or your had really weird riding buddies even for Belgians.

IPA travels remarkably well on the rack of an MTB. When I poured it
there was a good head on it and it was almost too cold so I had to warm
the cup with my hands.

Please stop your beer stories It is getting pathetic.

Some of the Belgian groups in the 80's topped that. A few riders had a
demi-bouteille in the 2nd bottle holder. Du vin rouge, with a loose cork
in there. They let that circle once in a while. Drinking wine out of a
bottle may be bad style but it sure tasted good. Here in the US they'd
arrest you if a cop saw that.

Nonsense. Again did you ride with winos or homeless people?

Lou
Old July 15th 18, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

On 2018-07-14 22:03, sms wrote:
[...]

We had a nice halfway ride stop with coffee and a piece of pie (vlaai like we call it here), like all the other bike riders on a road bike or MTB. Typical:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tFzneNuekowzUewx6

Lou
Old July 15th 18, 11:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

On 2018-07-14 22:03, sms wrote:
[...]

We met at a coffee shop this morning, but I didn't partake. Got up to 95F, and I ran out of water, so I stopped at a market with my cohorts. Also stopped for a little ferry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEfIcrKZesw&t=3s What a beautiful day it was. No pubs. Yesterday was a death ride with my son, and no pubs -- although I did have a beer at home, and Tylenol. Obviously two no-fun rides because they didn't involve a pub of any kind.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old July 15th 18, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:

On 2018-07-14 22:03, sms wrote:
[...]

Weird but you guys look like us guys. Lol

--
duane
Old July 16th 18, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/15/2018 4:04 PM, wrote:

Please stop your beer stories It is getting pathetic.

Agreed. The fixation seems weird.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 16th 18, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 21:34:04 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 7/15/2018 4:04 PM, wrote:

Please stop your beer stories It is getting pathetic.

Agreed. The fixation seems weird.

The Carrie Nation responses are even weirder.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

---
https://www.avg.com

Old July 16th 18, 06:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, July 4, 2018 at 11:13:59 AM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:

The issue was whether separated bicycle facilities have any effect on the economy, which is probably "no."
-- Jay Beattie.

I'd dispute that. I live in a city with lots of bike paths. I use them a lot. I probably bicycle more due to having the paths. Its so easy to ride.. I stop at convenience stores and restaurants more due to cycling. I spend more of my money locally because I bicycle. Without the paths, I might not ride. And I would not go to the convenience stores or restaurants. Less of my money would be spent locally. My money would stay in my bank account until I spend it on stuff ordered from Amazon or invested in the stock market. It definitely would not go to local merchants.

Looking like Amsterdam Alycidon UK 23 August 15th 15 06:45 PM
A bicycle not wood, Black & Decker's feeble attempts at making bicycletools and tire-not-making Doug Cimperman Techniques 7 December 8th 12 11:40 PM
Tire-making, episode {I-lost-track} --- making inner-tubes DougC Techniques 1 September 11th 10 03:43 PM
TT: 1. Deutschland Uber Alles 2. America 3. America Ted van de Weteringe Racing 4 September 25th 08 07:26 PM
These mp3 interviews -Air America -Know why there is about to be civil war in America. A MUST LISTEN harbinger Australia 17 June 4th 06 12:16 AM