Raleigh Rod Brakes - Last manuf in 19??

Old July 23rd 05, 10:00 PM
mark

Default Raleigh Rod Brakes - Last manuf in 19??

--
mark
"Bob" wrote...

I remember seeing a 3-speed bike w/ rod brakes in Berkeley around 1980, it
didn't look that old at the time. The owner informed me that it was a copy
of the bicycle used by British postmen, so I'm guessing it was a Raleigh or
other British make. That would put rod brakes in production until about the
mid '70s in the UK.

Nitto apparently still supplies rod brakes for Japanese postal service
bikes, so they're still around.
--
mark

Old July 24th 05, 02:58 AM
A Muzi

mark wrote:
I remember seeing a 3-speed bike w/ rod brakes in

Berkeley .around 1980, it
didn't look that old at the time. The owner informed me
that it was a copy
of the bicycle used by British postmen, so I'm guessing it
was a Raleigh or
other British make. That would put rod brakes in

production until about the
mid '70s in the UK.

Nitto apparently still supplies rod brakes for Japanese
postal service
bikes, so they're still around.

Roadster brakes are still made by dozens of third world (
or "NIC"?) vendors. Raleigh last built the DL-1 model at
Nottingham in 1985.

We and others who sell roadsters have rod brake spares.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org